New gpx owner today...Big problem :(

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

New gpx owner today...Big problem :(

Postby steve walsh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi guys n girls

My names Steve and ive just bought a 95 mivec gpx auto, I cant believe my luck i was driving it home and left a set of lights in auto mode when all of a sudden a big clunk as it tried to engage 2nd and then nothing, no drive at all but the engine is still running fine.
The trans oil is the correct colour and level, the P still works,i can make the lights move on the dash from 1st to 2nd using the tip but still no drive.

Im a skyline enthusiast/owner and bought this as it would be cheaper to run but now im starting to regret it. Ive used the search but im getting all confused and would like a straight answer as to wether the box is knackered or what else it may be.

Hopefully i can contribute to this site as much as i do on SO.com and thanks in advance for any help i get, please restore my faith in the fto and tell me its just bad luck lol.

Cheers

Steve
steve walsh
1st gear
1st gear

Re: New gpx owner today...Big problem :(

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:00 pm

The fto has a 2nd start function for snow so that's normal to be able to change up when stopped
The gearbox has a diagnostic, do a quick search for more on this
colm_mcm

Postby steve walsh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi Thanks for the quick reply i will try the diagnostic tomorrow, i presume ground = earth it to something metal nearby? Im just double checking i dont want to cause anymore damage.

Is this sudden failure common on these gearboxes?
steve walsh
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:19 am

Heres the link for the steps for undertaking the diagnostic;
http://www.ftowa.com/html/workshop/workshopart07.html
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steve walsh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks dragonheart ive been looking thru the site all night getting info on the car, im really hoping its a sensor but fear the box has gave up, my gut feeling is the previous owner knew the box was buggered and changed the oil and reset the ecu to sell it :(

Most posts ive read state the car going into 3rd(limp) mine did this 10 mins before it died but i popped into the shop and came back out and the box was normal again so i thought nothing of it and drove another mile, i cant find any threads where the car just refuses to move and wont engage any gear at all making me think its more than just electrical :(
steve walsh
1st gear
1st gear

Postby steve walsh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi guys

The battery had died by this morning so i cant get any fault codes by doing the diagnostic and as the car wont move i guess they wont show up by just idling? anyway possibly a good sign with the ignition on i can hear the electrics working when i move from P to D and when i use the tip to select 1st or 2nd so im guessing (logically of course lol) that the gearbox itself is ok and its the torque convertor thats had it although there was a smell of clutch in the air, Also checked the oil level in the box again and its sitting halfway up the cold mark when cold...... i know it should be checked when hot but i imagine it wont heat up sitting stationary?

Anyways im away to order a TC and start to strip it down, unless some of you guys with knowledge have a different opinion, got the tappets and cam cover seals to do aswell, seems to have an oil leak somewhere but ill know more when i get into her guts :D

Thanks for your help guys its much appreciated and if you need help with a skyline i can help with alot of things :D
steve walsh
1st gear
1st gear

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Just get a complete box I'd say. Plenty for breaking
colm_mcm

Return to FTO Technical