Starter motor issues

FTO tips and tricks

Moderator: Moderators

Starter motor issues

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:09 am

Hi Guys & Gals,

My starter is on it's last legs.

I did find some helpful information on locating it*, but I still require either a refurb or a replacement unit.

Does anybody know if the GR/GX and the GPX share starters - as far as I know the bottomends are pretty much the same - so I was kinda guessing that they might

* In case you need to know:

Starter is located quite close the the ground just to the left of the center of the car as you're facing the engine.
If you starter is completely seized up (as in you can hear the relay click but there is NO starting action at all) a temporary fix can be to give it a light tap (LIGHT!) with a hammer or a spanner (word of warning this will NOT work forever - if you're at this stage replace the unit asap!)

Now..

It's hammer time!

**** Update ****
Based on feedback from a fellow fto owner I decided to check the wires for my starter..

Turns out they were all a bit loose - after jigging them about the starter now fires every time.

During the weekend I will be redoing the connection to the starter to ensure there are no similar mishaps in the future.

Thanks Mr IrishGirl.
Last edited by Muad_dib77 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:19 am

let me just answer that myself..

Yes same starter for all 2l FTOs..

As per camskills site..

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m3b0s9p196
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Maud,
I understand that the starter is held in place with just two bolts. (Once the car is jacked up, is it an easy job to remove? How is the 'drive' end connected to the engine, is it a cog or what? Once the bolts are disconnected, does it just come out or is there a knack to it.

I have much the same problem as described in this thread

crayzidane wrote:Im looking for a starter motor for a GX ,when i start the car it sounds
like the solenoid is not dis engaging fast enough, cos i hear this grinding sound for about half a second.

steelroe wrote:Sound like the starter gear is sticking out for a few seconds. It should spring back once you release the key.

Take off the starter and clean the shaft the gear slides on. A small spray of lubricant wont do it any harm. You can also test it while out using a battery. Only 2 bolts holding the starter in place.

I had the car in for service recently and was advised the starter needed to be reconditioned. Contacted a local place and he said he'd never worked on an FTO was not sure exactly the price of parts and waht was involved, when I pressed for a budgetary quote he said €250 to €300. I'd still need to remove and replace the motor myself. :roll: Given that camskill can supply a new one for £125. This price seems excessive. Will try Steelroe's fix first.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:54 pm

The starter assy is in the workshop manuals, looks handy enough to take apart, I was going to chance it myself but didn't have the time.

Any auto elec would be able to recon the starter, sounds like you were fobbed off Mustang. I paid 180 euro to have the starter reconned on Adrians GPX.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

CJ wrote:The starter assy is in the workshop manuals, looks handy enough to take apart, I was going to chance it myself but didn't have the time.

Any auto elec would be able to recon the starter, sounds like you were fobbed off Mustang. I paid 180 euro to have the starter reconned on Adrians GPX.

CJ

Well he was reluctant to quote -not being familiar with the unit in the car, and I did push him for a price, just covering himself I suppose. I'd expect that the starter is common to other misi models. Anyway even at €180, I could have e new one.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Starter motor issues

Postby foxy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:04 am

My starter motor completely packed up I looked on ebay and got a reconditioned one for £29.99 including delivery and it only took 15 minutes to change job done :)
foxy
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:35 am

Ebay....can be a great place. I get lotsa stuff there. I got a second hand starter motor for €35 from some guy in Rush. Worked great. Recon would have cost €280
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby foxy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:59 pm

foxy wrote:My starter motor completely packed up I looked on ebay and got a reconditioned one for £29.99 including delivery and it only took 15 minutes to change job done :)

Yep exactly the same for me :)
foxy
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby the real technikhaus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Had mine die on me a week or two back- The brushes had completely worn! Replaced with reconditioned brushes and armature cost me (cant remember exactly, but was) around $200 NZD. Starts a dream now!
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to FTO Knowledgebase