NCT Today (Failed ....now PASSED)

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT Today (Failed ....now PASSED)

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:57 pm

My NCT is due in an hour. Fingers crossed there are no problems. Only possible problem I foresee would be the fly eyes film on the lights, but I will report back after the NCT.

OTHER NOTE: Does anyone else have trouble with the washer jet lines? Mine get jammed under the bonnet alot and restrict, or stop the flow. I may need to re-rout the line. Problem only started after I installed the front strut bar. It's free now, but I hope they test the jets (if they do at all) before looking under the hood. Otherwise it will likely get blocked.
Last edited by goz_83 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: NCT Today (failed)

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:46 pm

OK. The Good news is the lights passed no problem. She failed on breaks and emissions. See below for details:

Exhaust Emissions (High Idle):
CO 0.63 vol% . Should be 0.30, or under.

Visual Defects:
Brake Lines/Hoses (47) Condition = Advanced Corrosion @ Offside Rear
Brake Lines/Hoses (47) Condition = Advanced Corrosion @ Nearside Rear
Brake Lines/Hoses (47) Bulging under Pressure @ Nearside Rear
Brake Lines/Hoses (47) Flexible Brake Pipe = Frayed/cut @ Offside Rear

He also said the HC ppm was high at 108ppm, but it says a fail needs to be 200ppm or higher on the test sheet and it passed.

The brakes I can sort quickly, but how do I decrease emissions to pass? I have some of that dipatene stuff, but I don't think that will be enough. I don't have a cat and would prefer to not have to remove/change the exhaust. Advice appreciated here.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: NCT Today (Failed)

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:33 pm

What do you mean by don't have a cat? If you don't have a cat you have no hope of passing emissions. The cat was invented purely to reduce emissions.
You need the cat in, drive it hard to the centre, and possibly redex as well.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Did they not test for noise?
I'd imagine the car would be fairly loud if it doesn't have a cat...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 pm

Cat back in.

Failing that change the CTS.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Dragonheart wrote:What do you mean by don't have a cat? If you don't have a cat you have no hope of passing emissions. The cat was invented purely to reduce emissions.
You need the cat in, drive it hard to the centre, and possibly redex as well.

As far as I know, the exhaust on it now is a straight through exhaust. I will take a look underneath tomorrow. Haven't looked since it was installed. The emissions above are not that high are they? I reckon a bit of fuel fix and some hard driving should sort it out, but is there anything else I can do?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:41 am

I can't believe you went without a CAT.

They are all easy fixes unless it is a straight through exhaust.
As dragonheart said burn around in it for an hour or two before hand with redex. And you can have a lone of my CAT if you can't find one.

There is a guy selling braided hoses if you want the extra piece of mind about the brake hoses
http://www.adverts.ie/1171704
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby holio » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 am

You sure its a straight through exhaust? They would most certainly sound test it if it was.
A straight through exhaust is exactly what it sound likes, its a pipe the same diameter the hole way so youl have no back box.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:30 am

holio wrote:You sure its a straight through exhaust? They would most certainly sound test it if it was.
A straight through exhaust is exactly what it sound likes, its a pipe the same diameter the hole way so youl have no back box.

There is a backbox. Haven't checked under for CAT, but i do remember when the exhausts were gettin swapped around, the guy said there was no cat to go with the exhaust going onto the gpx. His english was terrible, so it's possible he was talking about his wife or something. Will have a look tomorrow. Thanks for that link stewy.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:39 am

There is a de-cat on the exhaust then. It takes 2 minutes to swap them over.
No problem about the link. It's been up for a few weeks so ya might chance your arm and give him an offer.
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:05 am

StewyD32 wrote:There is a de-cat on the exhaust then. It takes 2 minutes to swap them over.
No problem about the link. It's been up for a few weeks so ya might chance your arm and give him an offer.

I contacted thge guy on that link, offering the full €40 and he agreed. I tried contacting twice after to get his details and gave mine, but I haven't heard from him in a couple of days. Disappointing. I may have to look elsewhere. I want something decent. Recommendations for something quick?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:20 am

Yeah I was reading your posts on there.
I don't know the fella I just seen the add so I can't help ya there.
I don't know anywhere local that Would have them in stock for an FTO.

Did you book it in for a re-test yet? Ya might be waiting for a while. In this case just buy ones on line if he doesn't contact ya back soon.
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:13 am

StewyD32 wrote:Yeah I was reading your posts on there.
I don't know the fella I just seen the add so I can't help ya there.
I don't know anywhere local that Would have them in stock for an FTO.

Did you book it in for a re-test yet? Ya might be waiting for a while. In this case just buy ones on line if he doesn't contact ya back soon.

Maybe Ebay, or i will just get the garage to source em
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

If your lazy just order them. :D
I think going on line yourself will be cheaper if you go onto their own site like the hels products etc
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Contacted that guy on adverts.ie to ask if he was still selling and if not, I would order online on Sunday. He sent a private message to say he would be around Monday if I could wait and he posted his mobile number. I said I could collect monday at noon, but the waster never answered his phone or replied to texts. I dropped the car down to Atlas just now. They are sorting out the corroded brake lines now ()in fact they are looking for the lock nut, whereever they left it the last time). I have to wait for new hoses to come in though. After that, back to the NCT. Thanks again for that contact Stewy, but that guy is a total messer for future reference.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Sorry about that. But I don't know the fella. You think you would have the respect to communicate to someone looking to buy something off you.
I thought is was just 2 brake lines for €40 and not the set until I re-read it before giving you the link. I was going to get them as well but seems he's messing you around he lost another sale.
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:04 pm

If you knew him, I am sure there would have been no problem at all. Best not to bother contacting him at all. He just doesn't reply.

Just got the brake lines done. Feels nasty when you have to shell out €150 and you feel/see no difference.

Waiting for the hoses to arrive in from the UK, so that should be Wednesday. Another €120 I think to get that sorted. Then all I need to do is put in a little redX and drive her like a demon to the NCT centre.....and pay another €29 :(
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Did you find out if you have a CAT or not Gary? Don't think any amount of burning and Redex will help without one, would hate to see more money wasted unnecessarily...
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:33 am

tbh I haven't looked. I figured that as the emissions were so marginally off, the burning and redx would sort it out. The only time I seem to get a minute is when it's lashin rain, or pitch dark. And the car is at the garage right now. I might just ask them to take a look for me. The emissions were only over when high idling. Was .63% when they allow .3%. It's nothing like http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewto ... f=8&t=9777
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Ah not so bad so, best of luck!
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Well my rear brake hoses from camskill arrived a couple of days ago and I had them fitted, so I have my NCT retest tomorrow evening. I even had fresh wiper blades put on for good measure :)

Now all I gotta do is put the foot down to burn the crap out of her and I expect to see a pass.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby bluemajor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:02 am

best of luck :wink:
bluemajor
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby StewyD32 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 am

Did you sort out the CAT situation?
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:44 am

StewyD32 wrote:Did you sort out the CAT situation?

If only I were that organised :roll:

Funny thing is I was under the car a few nights ago to fix the exhaust back into the rubber holder thingy and I never looked beyond it. I'm short four wheel nuts though, because I had the lock nuts removed by the garage. Don't have the unlocking bolt, so I had em all removed after I got a puncture and was unable to remove the wheel, forcing me to drive about 500 meters to a garage.....and then needing a new tire because the punctured one was ruined. I just get all the good luck...hehehe
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:45 pm

goz_83 wrote:.....I had the lock nuts removed by the garage. Don't have the unlocking bolt, so I had em all removed after I got a puncture and was unable to remove the wheel, forcing me to drive about 500 meters to a garage...

I did give you the lock nut tool - it was left in the boot - look harder! :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to NCT \ MOT