Faulty rev counter

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Faulty rev counter

Postby keville » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:43 pm

hello Lads,
Bought a gr about six weeks ago, great car but about two weeks ago the rev counter started going on and off, now it doesn't work at all. I've Paid €100 for a second hand set and changed the whole lot but this doesn't change anything. Anybody had this problem before :?: Or know what the problem might be :?: Appreciate any help I get
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:05 pm

It sounds like a problem with the crank angle sensor or something similar. If you've changed the instrument panel and there is no change, then one of the shaft or gearbox sensors might need replacing. Ideally, you would need to see of you can get some fault codes out of the ECU.
You can bring the car to a Mitsi garage that has a MUTII tester or you can save a few quid by following a method of reading fault codes that have been stored in the ECU, check out the following link:

http://www.ftowa.com/html/workshop/workshopart07.html

Good luck

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keville » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:36 pm

Thank's Ciaran,
I'll check out the sensor readings,Local mitsi dealer hasn't a good rep with standard cars so I wouldn't think of sending in the fto
cheers
Keville
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby steelroe » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:05 am

This sounds very much like a problem with the engine speed sensor on top of the gear box. Is the car manual or Tip. Rather than spending a lot of money on a garage try a second hand sensor first from a breaker. I can get the exact connector number from the wiring diagrams if you need it. Also I seen somewhere on the net that the speedo sometimes does not make proper connection with the circuit tracks behind and the RPM would only work now and again.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby keville » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:59 pm

Forgot to mention it was a manual,I'm goin to try the diagnostics at the weekend hopefully that will let me know if there is a faulty sensor
thanks
Keville
Has anyone had a gr chipped or heard of anyone that has had it done,good or bad results?
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:43 am

keville wrote:Has anyone had a gr chipped or heard of anyone that has had it done,good or bad results?

A few people have done this, but results have been poor. Theres not much point in chipping a GPX, for example, that has an induction kit and SS exhaust, gains will be minimal (the engine is already very highly tuned). On the other hand, a GS with the same mods and reprofiled cams would benefit from a Unichip or a Mines ROM (big money), the car would also need to be properly tuned on a rolling road to properly remap the chip.
I have a Racelogic Vsam piggy-backed onto my ECU, the unit re-profiles the ignition timing to squeeze more power from the engine when running super unleaded, but I have my doubts that it makes any difference.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical