Cold Idle

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Cold Idle

Postby sinlessgunner » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Ok lads this is the last thing I have to get sorted then my car is finally over the problems it had when I bought it and I can get around to really enjoying it. The car will not idle at cold, doesn't even attempt to it just cuts out straight away. When I have it warmed up it runs perfectly, revs hunt a tiny bit almost insignificantly but you can just hear it in the engine.

I am well aware of the stepper motor and it's problems. The problem with this is I am reluctant to fork over 100 quid for a new stepper if I'm still going to end up having to fork out for other things. I'm not a stingy person but I don't believe in wasting money either so I want input on this first.

After an extensive search on this site and ftooc I have seen that there are a few things.

1. The idle speed. My car idles around 600-900 when warm. Is my idle speed too low and thats why it cuts when cold? Could adjusting this sort the problem?

2. I got error 62 on a diagnostic - Variable Induction Control Valve position sensor. I can't find any information on this whatsoever. Would this affect my cold idle?

3. Filters, plugs etc. Slight chance these may be linked.

Can anybody help me before I bite the bullet and buy things I don't need?
sinlessgunner
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby steelroe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:22 pm

At this stage I think you should bite the bullet and order a stepper. 99% most likely the problem. I you have reset the ECU and the code is no longer there then the variable induction motor is prob ok.

Stepper goes on most FTO's so I would be very sure that is the problem.
Last edited by steelroe on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Do not idle. A faUlty stepper will cause numerous problem with engine cold/warm. You idle speed is about right. 750 +/- 50
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:26 pm

There is plenty info in the manuals regarding the Variable inductio servo and sensor. Including test procedure.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:29 am

steelroe wrote:At this stage I think you should bite the bullet and order a stepper. 99% most likely the problem.

I agree. Worst case scenario, you can resell it - theres always someone looking for a stepper motor.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djabie » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:41 am

I agree

I replaced my stepper motor got one off ricerocket £85

Then found out my old one was ok (maf sensor was the problem)

Anyway kept the new one and sold the old one on ebay for £60

So doing the maths got a new motor for £25 so you cant go wrong.

And even if it is your stepper motor that faulty then problem sorted money well spent...
Good luck...
djabie
Speed freak
Speed freak

Return to FTO Technical