E46 M3 - yes it is all that

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

E46 M3 - yes it is all that

Postby soc » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:33 am

A mate in work picked up an 03 E46 M3 cab yesterday. Complete with hardtop in slate grey - looks amazing. Fully loaded, tv, hardon karmen sounds, etc. Amazing car - sounds incredible. Smooth, no rattles, no knocks. I was thinking about it before but now I'm certain - TT going for up for sale and I'll be on the hunt for a nice 04/05 M3 in the new year.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Sounds nice - would prefer the coupe to the conv. though - these have really come down in money lately - however watch out for those running costs.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: E46 M3 - yes it is all that

Postby Mustang » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:03 pm

soc wrote:A mate in work picked up an 03 E46 M3 cab yesterday...........................................................................................I'll be on the hunt for a nice 04/05 M3 in the new year.

Be sure to out do your mate anyway, by buying a newer version of the same car. That'll burst his bubble. Don't want to get left behind in the company car park pecking order. :)
Seroiusly though sounds like a nice prospect
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: E46 M3 - yes it is all that

Postby soc » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:52 pm

Mustang wrote:
soc wrote:A mate in work picked up an 03 E46 M3 cab yesterday...........................................................................................I'll be on the hunt for a nice 04/05 M3 in the new year.

Be sure to out do your mate anyway, by buying a newer version of the same car. That'll burst his bubble. Don't want to get left behind in the company car park pecking order. :)
Seroiusly though sounds like a nice prospect

Heh, was wondering if anyone would pick up on that as I forgot to include the wink smiley for sarcas :wink:

It is definitely a lovely car but with uncertainty in the jobs market and nothing owing on the TT I won't be taking on any debt this side of Feb/Mar (unfortunately).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Sounds nice - would prefer the coupe to the conv. though - these have really come down in money lately - however watch out for those running costs.

Agreed, I'm more a coupe person myself. And if I didn't have a wife who seems to have blanket dislike for all jap cars I'd have to be be veering towards a 350z on value alone...
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Just as well...

A TT? You big girls blouse.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:06 am

optical illusion wrote:Just as well...

:oops:

Seriously though - as an overall package it's hard to beat - best interior in it's class by a mile and iconic exterior looks. And it's so easy to mod - maps to 270bhp. Add in a few suspension tweaks and the handling is excellent with oodles of grip (wet or dry).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:24 am

soc wrote:
optical illusion wrote:Just as well...

Seriously though - as an overall package it's hard to beat - best interior in it's class by a mile and iconic exterior looks. And it's so easy to mod - maps to 270bhp. Add in a few suspension tweaks and the handling is excellent with oodles of grip (wet or dry).

OT. I know two people who've ran that VW 1.8T engine. Both of whom ended up with that oil sludge formation problem. It looks like a nice performance package, small engine, big power, but not without it's issues. Perhaps it's just down to maintenance or lack thereof.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:32 pm

Mustang wrote:OT. I know two people who've ran that VW 1.8T engine. Both of whom ended up with that oil sludge formation problem. It looks like a nice performance package, small engine, big power, but not without it's issues. Perhaps it's just down to maintenance or lack thereof.

I hadn't heard of this problem - any more details? I've had an oil change ever 6k since I bought mine - 2 years now - longest I've ever had one car.

What are the signs and symptoms of hte oil sludge problem?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:43 pm

soc wrote:
Mustang wrote:OT. I know two people who've ran that VW 1.8T engine. Both of whom ended up with that oil sludge formation problem. It looks like a nice performance package, small engine, big power, but not without it's issues. Perhaps it's just down to maintenance or lack thereof.

I hadn't heard of this problem - any more details? I've had an oil change ever 6k since I bought mine - 2 years now - longest I've ever had one car.

What are the signs and symptoms of hte oil sludge problem?

Small sump capacity, high running temperature => oil turns to sludge, clogs oil pump, and oil line to turbo. This is a well known issue on this engine I'd expect more from a VAG head like yourself. C- :smt079
Google VW 1.8T sludge and all will be revealed. As regards symptoms I don't really know, rough running, deterioration in performance, dash lit up like a Christmas tree etc.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 am

never heard of it - never ever saw anything on the mkiv or the tt forum in the 4 years I've had a 1.8T.... must read up about this....

Although regular (every 6k) oil changes should prevent this I'd say... plus I never run much higher than 100deg oil temp - that's the primary reason I got the liquidTT gizom so I could ensure correct oil temps.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Mustang wrote:Google VW 1.8T sludge and all will be revealed.

Looks like this happens on a lot of other engines too - most of the sites I came across listed other makers too (Toyota, Dodge, Chrysler as well as VW and Audi). And the Audi's listed were A4's and the VW's Passats. I know the 225 TT has a different setup to all the other 1.8T engine - stronger internals, extra intercooler, bigger turbo.

Most sites talked about a poor quality of oil and overheating causing the issues.

I only use synthetic and regular oil changes so not too concerned :wink: (touch wood).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars