Insurance

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Insurance

Postby gav022 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:16 am

Hi,

Unfortunately im not an fto owner but certainly want to be.. as im only 22 insurance would be impossible to get under my own name.. All i wana know is which of the fto's would be best insurance wise?...

thanks
gav022
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:12 am

defintley the GS, it's a 1.8....
send me on your details and i'll see if i can get you a quote! i've a GS and i'm 23 but i had to pull in a big favour to get insured!

dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:31 am

Gav, you'll might find that you'll have as much of a problem insuring a GS ( 1.8L) as a GPX (2L V6 Mivec) as a lot of insurance companies don't differenciate between models. I changed from a GS to a GPX late last year and my insurance premium didn't change. Try the usual suspects such as Quinn Direct and see how you get on. As I'm sure you know, the fact that you're 22 won't work to your advantage :?

Ciaran
Last edited by CJ on Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:41 am

there should be a difference, i got did up quotes for all of the models and there's not much of a difference betwwen the gr and gpx but betwwen the GS and the rest is a big diference! i wouldn't fancy going to an insurance company that doesn't deffereniate between em, this could be a cause for a dispute if a claim ever arose!

dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:55 am

Dave wrote:there should be a difference, i got did up quotes for all of the models and there's not much of a difference betwwen the gr and gpx but betwwen the GS and the rest is a big diference! i wouldn't fancy going to an insurance company that doesn't deffereniate between em, this could be a cause for a dispute if a claim ever arose!

dave

You're right, there should be a difference, but my insurance co. (Quinn Direct) don't differenciate. It probably boils down to ignorance, an FTO is and FTO etc. Mind you I'm not complaining, in fact, thats the reason I upgraded the GS to a GPX!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:08 am

just hope you don't ever have a claim, touch wood! but i suppose for the first few years to get the old NCB up and running it's a good stop gap!
i might try and see if one of the companies we deal with could do us a deal on FTO's, maybe ARB or StPaul, they usually deal with high risk things anyway! no harm in asking :wink:
dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:26 am

I don't see what the problem is though? QD clasify FTOs as either an 1830cc or 1990cc model, I'm insured to drive a '1990cc Mitsubishi FTO' so theres no question that I'm not legally insured based on QDs definitions.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:34 am

firstly, the BHP is different, one's a mivec, one's a V6, one's a 2litre the other is 1.8 bog standard, so there are differences, and no i'm not saying you're not legally insured, all i'm saying is that they could use this as a factor if a claim arose, claiming they were unaware if these differences... it is Quinn direct afterall

dave[/i]
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:46 am

From my point of view, its up to the insurance co. to properly classify the car they are quoting on. When I spoke to them, I mentioned I was changing to a GPX and clarified it was a 2L Mivec model. When I was told the policy would remain unchanged, I double-checked so theres no question of me pulling the wool over their eyes. Anyway, I hope that I'm not in a situation whereby I have to find out the hard way!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:50 am

well this is it, touch wood you won't. but at the end of the day they could say what they liked, there are obvious differences and i really don't understand how they can quote the same price for more or less to completely different cars!

dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gav022 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:10 pm

Thanks cj, dave,

what details do ya need dave?.. dont really wanna put em on the net. ill pm them,

I only got the PROVO license,
Driving 3 years under MAMMY!. not consecutively though,
On my second license

Are you insured on your fto in your own name dave?..

try sort us out anyway thanks a mill

ps cj i only got a notification at 12 for your replies?
gav022
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby gav022 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:12 pm

ps im paying 3,200 for me and my mother on a 1.4 206 !!!!

hasnt changed either so something has to be done!
gav022
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:19 pm

gav,
just pm with d.o.b, licence, address, car, value, experience, and if you're going under your mother, then i'll need all the same details for her!
and yeah i have my insurance under my own name! i had to more or less beg to get it.... advantages of working in a brokers!
dave@oreillycullen.com

dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:03 pm

I don't think there's too much problems either way as it is classed as a sports car, it is 8 years old and you are being charged top dollar for the insurance so I don't think they'll try and screw you over the difference between a 1.8 GS and 2.0 GR.

I insured my GR under my fiance's name but I tried Quinn Direct's website and I don't think there was too much difference there. with regard my fiance's insurance there was a couple of conditions she had to have before they would insure her. She had to be over 30, have 5 years no claims and have no outstanding claims before they'd insure her. After that I don't think it matter what model it was, the price was going to be the same.

Gav, I think you'll be doing well to get insured. Quinn Direct allow you to either ring or use their website for a quote, so its good to just check if they will insure you, but if you have problems with them then you could be in trouble. One guy who I work with is insured under his brother's insurance, tried to get a Hyundai Coupe, and the insurance company would not insure him in anything that had a coupe in the title. They'd insure his brother (who's in the US so he's using his policy) but not him as a named driver.

An alternative, chancing your arm here, is to purchase something like an '88 micra, insure it under your own name, but make sure you get insurance that covers you on other vehicles, then get the FTO in your mother's name, get her to insure it, and drive it under your own policy. Look into the small print there, but at least you'd have insurance in your own name and would be building up your NCB.

Total cost might work out the same as that of having the 206 at the moment.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:09 pm

i still think that they should differeniate between the models but when the client is of that age and has all the requirments the actual difference between the risk is minimal so it seems to be the same!
and that 88'micra idea wouldn't work! if you're talking about open driving, that actually relates to the vehicle that you're driving, basically other people over 25 with a full licence can drive your car, not that you can drive other people's cars!

dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:15 pm

Seems to be the way it is alright. Because its a sports car, if you meet the criteria so that they'll insure, doesn't seem to matter what model it is, mind you if there was a 3.0l model might have been a different story.

About that Micra, my policy insures me on my car and any other car provided it is insured and not owned by me. So I can drive any other insured car. If Gav insures a micra, and gets a policy like that, then he can drive an FTO as long as it is insured (which he gets his mother to do) and is not owned by him (again his mother will own it).

It is a loophole in a way but you do need someone to own the car and insure it for you and you do need another car to insure yourself so not possible for everyone.

Mind you some policies do close this up in a way. Some ask do you have full time use of another car, in which case they'll get you as they'll ask what. Other policies, like the one my fiance has, prevents her from driving her partner's car (ie mine) if she permanently resides with them, which she does. But by naming her on my policy I have covered her and brought my premium down (they reckon a female on your insurance will prevent you from being a boy racer).

Its worth looking into, but in reality its just another loophole similar to getting your mother/someone else to insure your car even though they don't use it and lots of people do this.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to Motor Insurance