Insurance difference between GPX and GR?

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Insurance difference between GPX and GR?

Postby Neil » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Found 2 cars today and Im about to buy one of them..

First is a 1996 manual GPX (77KMS) and the second is a 1997 manual GR (75MLS).. they are both roughly the same price, my first instinct is to go for the GPX for the mivec, but im also tempted to go for the GR even with its slightly higher milage due to the fact that is a 97 and this will give it a higher re-sale value (I usually get an itch to change cars every 12 months), so im deliberating now over which to pick and I was thinking what might swing it for me would be if there was a large difference in the insurance costs of the mivec to non-mivec models.

I've rang about 5 insurance co's/brokers now but because of the FTOs import status they none one of them could give me a quote right away and need to call me back in 24 hours (who are they ringing in that time?!).
Anyway this is where it gets tricky - the auction for these cars is on in Japan TOMMOROW - which means I have until about midnight tonight to make my mind up, so the insurance co's wont get back to me on time.

I have read on here before that the difference was minimal, if there even was one, but on the other hand I've heard from others that GS insurance is cheaper (although I am talking about a GR here).. but I'd really like confirmation.
Can anyone here give a definitive answer to whether theres a significant difference between the GR and GPX, and if not can anyone whos had any experience comparing quotes for themselves for the two tell me what they found?
Neil
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby steelroe » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:02 pm

most insurance companies will not even give you a quote.
most don't make any difference between models price wise (yes they charge the same for the GS and GPX
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:35 pm

Neil

Which auction site are you using

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:20 am

Neil wrote:but im also tempted to go for the GR even with its slightly higher milage due to the fact that is a 97 and this will give it a higher re-sale value

Assuming they're both pre-facelifts, there won't be much of a difference in resale price between the two. As a general rule, there won't be any difference in quotes on the GR and GPX. Personally, I'd go for the GPX in terms of extras, better brakes etc, it all boils to down condition and colour preference after that.

CJ
Last edited by CJ on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:38 am

Neil,
I realise these replies are a bit late for your time line, but I'm with Steelroe & CJ, in general all FTO models are rated the same, especially the 2L cars, some insurers might distinguish between 1.8 & 2L models, but I think these are the exception. Also very few insurers will take on the FTO as new business, so there are probably very few companies to compare. Might be a different story if you are taking cover out with your current insurer (assuming they are not one of the usual suspects -ARB, Llyods, St Pauls). Let us know hoe you get on at auction!

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Neil » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:22 pm

I went for the GPX in the end and bid enough to give me a 99% chance of success according to idirect.co.jp - walked around all day thinking it was mine and have come home to an email informing me I was outbid...
feck!! gutted!!!! :cry: :x
Neil
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:35 pm

Neil wrote:I went for the GPX in the end and bid enough to give me a 99% chance of success according to idirect.co.jp - walked around all day thinking it was mine and have come home to an email informing me I was outbid...
f***!! gutted!!!! :cry: :x

Thats a pain in the hydraulics alright, ah well, lesson learned!
There'll be another one soon enough I'm sure, keep up the searching.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:07 am

Neil wrote
I went for the GPX in the end and bid enough to give me a 99% chance of success according to idirect.co.jp - walked around all day thinking it was mine and have come home to an email informing me I was outbid...
f***!! gutted!!!!

Do you know how much it went for in the end? Did you hear back from the insurance co.s, I'd be interested to know if they offered any significant differences between the GR & GPX.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:10 am

BTW I see theres a black '98 GPX manual with 63km, grade 4, after market TV and navigation system up for auction today :) .......I'd buy that one!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:24 am

IDirect have heaps of cars for auction every day - just keep bidding on what you like and something will come up.

Heres a couple on there at the moment I like:

99 GPvR Manual - 45K KMs - Grade 4

http://images.jcarinfo.net/common/httpr ... mall%2Egif

99 GPX Manual - 57K Kms - Grade 4

Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:23 pm

Another one - a 98 GPvR Aero Manual - 19K Kms - thats not even 12K miles - grade 4 - aftermarket exhaust and alloys.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:52 pm

Which auction sites guys?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Neil » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:02 pm

I've seen them lads, believe me I've been checking that site and plenty of others twice daily for the last 5 weeks or so!!

Problem is most of the facelifts shoot out of my price range - ie: I cant afford a 99 GPX otherwise I would have had one ages ago!! So I've been looking for the youngest manual pre-facelift goin...

Having said that, I think I might have a 97 GPX in the bag :) :), dont want to say much though more in case I jinx it again :lol:
Neil
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Neil » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:30 pm

Mustang wrote:Neil wrote
Do you know how much it went for in the end? Did you hear back from the insurance co.s, I'd be interested to know if they offered any significant differences between the GR & GPX.

Hi Mustang, I cant remember the exact figure but it was in the upper half of 300,000 yen.. (my bid was 330,000.)

As for the insurance, the majority opinion is correct, there is very little between them.. not more than a couple of hundred quid anywhere I rang.
(As in quotes for both were absolutely astronomical, but that was to be expected I suppose for a 24year old male... :x )
Neil
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Mustang » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:26 pm

Neil wrote
Having said that, I think I might have a 97 GPX in the bag , dont want to say much though more in case I jinx it again

Well hope it works out for you Neil.

Neil wrote

I've been looking for the youngest manual pre-facelift goin...

FYI, I will more than likely be putting my '97 manaul GR on the market next month.

As for the insurance, the majority opinion is correct, there is very little between them.. not more than a couple of hundred quid anywhere I rang.

Well at least they are differentiating between models, which is some minor consilation!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:44 pm

All this talk is giving me the itch, and to to it all off I saw a lovely black FTO (GR or GPX) which was well lowered on standard wheels and looked so sweet......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Motor Insurance