Moderator: Moderators

Failed for sunstrip on windscreen :!:

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Failed NCT today for:

*Front axle alignment is off.
*Brake hose not secure.
*Corrosion on chassis.
*Side window tint.
*Windscreen tint.......Only I don't really have windscreen tint. It's a fecking sunstrip!!!

I'm actually pretty surprised it failed. I was sure the car was going to pass. The alignment i'm fine with. It's an easy fix. The brakehose i'm sure is nothing but a clip. Corrosion? Well, tomorrow I will be getting that sorted by the garage that undersealed the car. What is the deal with the window tint? I find it ridiculous that it failed. It's a light tint and I didn't see it getting checked with a light meter. The part that i'm really annoyed about is the windscreen sunstrip. I really don't think it should have been failed. For one, I don't think the tint opacity is a failure, and two, It does not in any way obstruct my view. And finally, it helps keep the sun out of my peepers.

All the fails were visual, with the exception of the alignment. Any thoughts, or suggestions? I really don't want to be ripping the tint off my windows.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Failed for sunstrip on windscreen :!:

Postby gt94 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 pm

Dont know how true this is but word of mouth is that if the sunstrip is below the sunvisior when in use, then its a fail because its obstructing your view as its below the manufacturers visior spec. Could be a urban myth though :oops: anything on the nct website?
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:38 pm

The strip is above the visor when down.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 am

I hate the stupid NCT, have to bring my other car up on Friday again, it failed on number plates and a ball joint dust cap so as It will need to be checked under the car I had to book it in as it wasnt just a visual. The window tint fail sounds a pain in the behind because there is no real comeback unless you ask them to explain exactly why it failed, The Corrosion can be a nasty one also. Let us know how you get on.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 am

Looks like I will just be removing it. I think I have spare side windows, but I couldn't be arsed changing them around. I may well get in touch with one of the established window tinting places next year and get the windows redone to a definitely legal level. Will update on the other stuff soon.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 am

I failed my last NCT on noise (long story, documented in McGon's thread) when I went in for the retest they didn't check it again, just passed it.
If I were you I'd sort the corrosion and alignment and chance the rest, assuming you think it should have passed first time.
It's not like they know what they're doing or are in any way competent, it's all down to who you get / toss of a coin.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:39 am

I think I will just get all the other stuff sorted and put her through again. Would I be better off waiting until the retest period is up and then book her in again, hoping the notes are not on the system?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Well i'm off to the NCT retest in a few minutes. I've had the alignment done, the corrosion sorted and painfully the tints on the front windows have been removed. I've left the sun-strip on, hoping nothing will be said about it. I'm looking outside and the weather is dull and there's a medium to heavy drizzle at the moment. In the garden, I see stunning piece of art sitting on 17" Kahns. The water droplets beading up and rooling off the near perfect paint work and I wonder.....will the dikhed who looks at the car be wankurr enough to whinge about something that makes this beauty safer and more pleasurable to drive? Fingers crossed
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm

goz_83 wrote:The water droplets beading up and rooling off the near perfect paint work

Somewhere in between rolling and drooling, nice.
Best of luck with the test.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris_Heilong » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Hope you pass
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:49 pm

So, I was watching as the tester brings her into the test area and looks at the sun-strip. He calls one of his bum buddies over to look and the guy just shrugged and swatted his hand, as if to say "meh". I breathed a sigh of relief. Then onto check the alignment and the underbody. Looked like a very thorough inspection....almost like he wanted to find a fault with all the poking and prodding he did. So the test is done and my bank account is €28 lighter thanks to the re-test fee. The guy calls me into reception and says "why not remove vindow tint?" I did, I replied. He says "Neow, ze vront vindow." I gathered this could take a while, as his English was barely legible and i'm quite used to listening to poor English and foreign accents. I said (after a brief rant about profit and safety) "OK. If I take off sun-strip now, I pass?" "Yez", he replied. 3 minutes later, my windsreen had no sun-strip, and my toll tag and gps antenna were left needing new backing. Reception lady told me to wait outside, but i've heard you can be left waiting, so I collared one of the lads parking another car and told him I needed my cert now and was in a hurry. I was really annoyed I had to remove the tints AND the sun-strip. They were not a hazard. It's more dangerous to wear sun glasses for gods sake!

Anyway, mini rant over and the car has PASSED.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Thank Fúck
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 pm

:) Glad I passed.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT