Arachas. No new FTO business + others checked

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Arachas. No new FTO business + others checked

Postby Chris_Heilong » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks Gary,
Aviva put stupid engine limits on their polices and I dont have Full licence for very long, also I saw this in Liberty's T&Cs:

Policy changes
4. You must:
let us know the details of any new or replacement motor vehicle before you
buy or change vehicles;

Ill sort it somehow.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 am

Well I didn't let them know. I wasn't aware I had to tbh. I bought the 94 gr....decided to keep it and break the insured 95 gr, so i switched insurance over at a cost of 70ish. Then I dropped into quinn on O Connell street a few weeks later and insured the gpx...then I drove over to Shane and bought it :) . Besides, its not always possible to check details with the insurer before buying a car. If you're already insured on an fto, it's much easier to transfer the policy to another fto. It would be different if you were moving from a micra to an fto, or something like that. They might invoke section 4 on your ass then.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:44 pm

I went with Liberty, cost almost 2k including mods. if I had of waited another 3 months(when my NCB came) I could have got it for €1200 but I have waited long enough.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:17 am

Holy crap man. You love your FTO more than me I think!
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:22 am

Chris_Heilong wrote:I went with Liberty, cost almost 2k including mods. if I had of waited another 3 months(when my NCB came) I could have got it for €1200 but I have waited long enough.

Ouch....how much was added for the mods and what are they?

Of course you are willing to pay this as no other car will give as much bang for your buck. I drove home tonight from Portmarnock along some of the back roads, burnt some fuel and realised once again how addictive the FTO acceleration, engine note and high revving Mivec is.

Happy days !
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Well I got a quote from them when I bought the car a few months back for €2500 which I could not afford at the time so it had been lying up in the garden which is such a sorry state for such a car to be in, I decided I had to drive it now and I needed a few things done to it; Cam belts, Waterpump and all new brake discs installed. I declared it being lowered, aftermarket Exhaust and 17 inch Alloys. I also plan to get an induction kit so added that on for the hell of it. Altogether I think it was about €200 extra.

Now its just a case of going to the Guards and getting them to say my car has been off the road for the last 4 months. Anyone any experience doing this? Do I need to download a form or something?
Last edited by Chris_Heilong on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_Heilong

Postby Bernard » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:Now its just a case of going to the Gaurds and getting them to say my car has been off the road for the last 4 months. Anyone any experience doing this? Do I need to download a form or something?

Yup, this one.
In my experience it's hassle free. Just bring it in and get it stamped, no questions asked :roll:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks Bernard, appreciated :)
Chris_Heilong

Postby optical illusion » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:02 pm

The RF100A form is the easiest form in the world to get stamped.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Do the Gardai never want any proof or ask any questions about this?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:21 pm

No... I even drive there and leave the station to get the form signed with the car. lol
some just sign it and hand it back, and some check your car and see if it is on record for something in the time frame you say its off the road. Depends who you get and also what station you go to as you can go to anyone in the country of your choice :wink:
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:30 am

Bring it to coolock. They are less likely to ask questions
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 am

will do.
Chris_Heilong

Postby kevinod » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:24 am

That time of the year for me too... Axa were the only ones that would quote me for the last few years, either direct or through a broker. I'm through the AA at the moment.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Re: Arachas. No new FTO business

Postby Wagalini » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:00 pm

I renewed with Arachas this year as I didn't have many other options. I paid €1520 last year and this years quote was ~€1200 for renewal but got it down to €1025 by bumping my Voluntary Excess up to €500 and adding my girlfriend onto the policy. My stats are:
Full licence for 3 years.
2 years ncb.
0 penalty points.

CJ wrote:
goz_83 wrote:if i had a british one, the insurance would be halved, because that was the quote I got online

Hes talking about the the officially imported Mitsi UK cars (through Ralliart) - identical to the Jap version apart from exhaust, alarm and foglight additions. On one hand, its interesting to note, on the other its points at the illogical variance in insurers data. Just goes to show the heavy weighting thats applied to Jap imports when determining the premium price.

My FTO is a RallyArt one and First registered in the UK but any of the insurance companies didn't care about that... :(

Here's a list of the companies I rang and got No's from with the reason's for rejection (that I can remember):
123.ie - Class of car
25 Plus - Class of car. They don't take anything in that class like Impreza's. Even 1.4 lancer's and normal starlets are in this class :?
AA
Aon - 5 years ncb due to vehicle grouping/class
Aviva - Need 3 years ncb on any 2l car and would have to do an ignition course. FTO's are on the decline list anyway.
Axa - 5 years ncb for a vehicle of this grouping/class.
Best Quote - Modified suspension is a no :? :x
Britton
Chill
Easy Quote
FBD - Still waiting on callback
Liberty - Class of car, UK import didn't matter
No Nonsense
One Direct - 3 years ncb needed for this car's class
Pibasure
Quote Me - Car on decline list
Zurich - Car on decline list

I only got one company to quote me and that was XS Direct. They accepted the car even with lowered/modified suspension, non standard exhaust and 17" alloys. I got 3 quotes with different excesses:
Excess : Quote
€3,000 - €630
€2,000 - €740
€1,000 - €880

In the end I went with Arachas again because I didn't want such a high excess. There are too many idiots on the road. I was also afraid that if I left them that they wouldn't quote me again and I'd be stuck having such a high excess for a few years.
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Kace » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Wagalini wrote:I renewed with Arachas this year as I didn't have many other options. I paid €1520 last year and this years quote was ~€1200 for renewal but got it down to €1025 by bumping my Voluntary Excess up to €500 and adding my girlfriend onto the policy. My stats are:
2 years ncb.
0 penalty points.

Interesting and disheartening overall given your credentials.

I wonder will anything change when the age of the car hits 20 years, or will it actually make the overall insurance situation worse ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Wagalini wrote:Liberty - Class of car, UK import didn't matter

That's total crap from Liberty. I was getting online quotes of under €400 when I entered no reg and selected mivec. The reason they gave me was that the car was a UK import. My renewal was coming in at more than twice the amount on the jap import spec. They will tell you anything to spin their web of lies. You should also have been able to get quoted by Aviva on the uk import spec. I suspect the 3 years ncb is a ploy to get you to call back for a quote next year.

What fto do you have? What year? When are you selling it to me?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby technikhaus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Kace wrote:
Wagalini wrote:I renewed with Arachas this year as I didn't have many other options. I paid €1520 last year and this years quote was ~€1200 for renewal but got it down to €1025 by bumping my Voluntary Excess up to €500 and adding my girlfriend onto the policy. My stats are:
2 years ncb.
0 penalty points.

Interesting and disheartening overall given your credentials.

I wonder will anything change when the age of the car hits 20 years, or will it actually make the overall insurance situation worse ?

I'm hoping once it hits 20 years old, that it may be eligible for classic car insurance...
1996 FTO GPX Manual in White with sunroof :D
technikhaus
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Bernard » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 pm

goz_83 wrote:

That's total crap from Liberty. I was getting online quotes of under €400 when I entered no reg and selected mivec. The reason they gave me was that the car was a UK import. My renewal was coming in at more than twice the amount on the jap import spec. They will tell you anything to spin their web of lies. You should also have been able to get quoted by Aviva on the uk import spec. I suspect the 3 years ncb is a ploy to get you to call back for a quote next year.

No matter what I tried I couldn't get Liberty to quote anywhere near to what you're saying Goz.
That's changing year, occupation, location... you name it. The best I got was €800 odd, and as usual their information was way off the mark.
I haven't rang them, maybe that would be the difference.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Need to get ringing around properly but only guys I've got a quote from so far is a renewal on my existing AXA via the AA. they took about 27 quid off when they couldn't get any better quote, but still way too high. Blamed it on the age of the car, but don't think he knew what he was talking about tbh. Not much diff between comprehensive v tpft either.
kevinod

Postby Mitsinut » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:36 am

Hate to rain on the parade even further, but I remember when I was 20, i couldn't wait until I was 25 to get cheaper insurance, but when I was 25 they moved it to 30, so i couldn't wait till I was 30. Funny enough when I was 30, I was told that it had been pushed out to 36. They will use any excuse possible, it's a moving target and that is never gonna change. You could do the s3x change thing, but apparently not going to make a difference shortly and would require too many lifestyle changes!!!!
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:23 am

Bernard wrote:
goz_83 wrote:

No matter what I tried I couldn't get Liberty to quote anywhere near to what you're saying Goz.
That's changing year, occupation, location... you name it. The best I got was €800 odd, and as usual their information was way off the mark.
I haven't rang them, maybe that would be the difference.

I reentered the details as before, using almost identical details to my own and I got a quote just now. ALbeit a little higher than before. Its for tpft and the jap import is NOT selected. 97gpx mivec.
price is €491.11 for those who are viewing on smaller screens.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking to get the FTO up here soon now that I've the masters done and a job got but I'm finding it very difficult to get quotes at all.
I tried a good few of the ones listed but keep getting the red card.
Liberty would insure me last year for €890 odd but wont quote me at all now.
The only real quote is from XS Direct at €750 for the €3k excess or €975 for the €1k excess.

The thing is the car wouldn't even be used for my commute to work so a classic policy would be perfect but I'd need a main insured car for that...

Any ideas?
I'll bite the bullet and go with XS if it comes to it but it's really frustrating!
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

Postby kevinod » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:03 pm

AXA have been the only guys quoting me for the past few years, did you try them?
kevinod

Postby Uncle B » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 pm

kevinod wrote:AXA have been the only guys quoting me for the past few years, did you try them?

Yea they said I'd have to be 30 for them to consider it unfortunately.
I suppose 975 isnt an insane jump from the 890 I was offered last year but the €1k excess is a bit off putting
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

PreviousNext

Return to Motor Insurance