light at the end of the tunnel

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

light at the end of the tunnel

Postby soc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:06 pm

thanks to rory there is light at the end of the tunnel - a 2nd hand tipbox should be winging it's way from kerry to dublin on thursday and hopefully it will get transplanted on friday cause i really cannot do another weekend without my car!!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:38 pm

whats the damage €
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:16 am

Dave wrote:whats the damage €

All in looking at €1000 to get back on the road. And then I'm debating a few €'s of performance mods (brakes, exhaust, decat .....)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:25 am

that's not too bad really, sure you'd spend 400-500 on a proper decent service these days.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:34 pm

Dave wrote:that's not too bad really, sure you'd spend 400-500 on a proper decent service these days.

mmm, yea but I'd do my own oil and fluid changes and am planning on changing the disks and pads myself too - all I'd get the garage to do is give hte car the once over and make sure that I've missed nothing or bodged nothing :)

would you believe that the local courier in kerry no longer transports car parts - crazy. Looks like I might have to hire a van or large estate of some description to go down and collect it myself.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:40 pm

i wouldn;t even chance doing any of that myself plus i'm incredibly lazy which doesn;t help!
is there no one that will transport for you?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Viper » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:44 pm

Slightly off the topic I know, but I need to get my front brakes changed and was wondering if there is anywhere on the web that provides a description of how to do this?, or are you a natural mechanic??
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:03 pm

Viper wrote:Slightly off the topic I know, but I need to get my front brakes changed and was wondering if there is anywhere on the web that provides a description of how to do this?, or are you a natural mechanic??

Steve Hemmings Workshop area give a good decription of whats involved when changing pads and discs.

Ciaran[/url]
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:23 pm

Viper wrote:Slightly off the topic I know, but I need to get my front brakes changed and was wondering if there is anywhere on the web that provides a description of how to do this?, or are you a natural mechanic??

Never actually changed the disks or pads but (like ciaran pointed out) steve hemmings site gives a good guide and to be honest it really doesn't look all that hard. Hardest part is probably to remember the cooperslip on the back of the pads.

I'm actually getting some GPX calipers from Rory and am gonna fit / get these fitted (after I paint them silver) :twisted:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:24 pm

Dave wrote:i wouldn;t even chance doing any of that myself plus i'm incredibly lazy which doesn;t help!
is there no one that will transport for you?

not that I know :( and I'm getting pretty impatient at this stage (I really hate the dart) not to mention really wanting the damn thing back for the weekend so I'm at the stage where I'll probably just drive down on thursday.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:52 pm

tipbox is with garage now and just waiting until they get time to fit it. they're talking friday at this stage.... jaysus another 3 days with no car!!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion