Problem #1

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Problem #1

Postby Daz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:01 am

Temeeo wrote:
I'm totally clueless in this matter, but the same thought has crossed my mind - if aftermarket ECU was used would the error codes still be retrievable, I thought not.

Clueless is a step up from where i am at the moment :lol:
I'M guessing one for the experts
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Daz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:03 am

Gerry wrote:Any chance check engine bulb has
Been removed?

When you turn on Ignition is yellow
Check engine light on?

When i turn ignition on only battery oil and handbreak symbols light up ....can't remember but should engine symbol light up then aswell???
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Temeeo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:04 pm

Daz wrote:When i turn ignition on only battery oil and handbreak symbols light up ....can't remember but should engine symbol light up then aswell???

Yup, the engine light should light up as well and then go off after about a second or so. ABS and SRS also light up on mine, but it's possible that you don't have either.

99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Daz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Temeeo wrote:
Yup, the engine light should light up as well and then go off after about a second or so. ABS and SRS also light up on mine, but it's possible that you don't have either

Ah now that explains alot! Thanks for letting me know temeeo
I just hope its a bulb that has failed and not one removed for sinister reasons, i guess when i get back from ireland i can fit the console from my red one for a quick check. As i know all the bulbs in that one work, had not long upgraded the lamps before it got parked up.
Daz

Postby Kace » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Exactly - easy to switch in a different console and check it.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:58 pm

Well finally had a day off and went looking at this issue again,
Still no joy took console out of red one and fitted that still didn't light up so incase it was a dodgy bulb took a known working one (doors open) and put it in still didn't light up checked all pathways on pcb (ok more like a film than a solid board) no breakages, checked cable in back of console plug it was intact. And no breakage where i can see unless breakage further back in the loom or disconnected further back and vipec ECU is in full control now of engine managment along with turbos and AFR

Anyway decided thou changed throttle body i've just ordered an ultrasonic cleaning bowl and fluid and going to give throttle body a propper clean see if that solves it and in the mean time borrow a laptop and download vipec software see if it tells me anything
Daz

Postby Daz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Well i am admitting defeat in trying to get to the bottom of the engine hunting. Spent loads of time this wknd trying to sort it but to no avail. My usual garage can't help so i spoke to a mate from work who's into cars in a big way, he's given me the number of a mechanic/garrage that he believes can sort me out ao hoping he'll fit me in next wknd... fingers crossed!!
Daz

Postby Kace » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:42 pm

Have you tried giving Eurospec a call? They installed it correct?
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:54 pm

Kace wrote:Have you tried giving Eurospec a call? They installed it correct?

Actually never gave it a thought!! :oops:
Good man Kace will do just that :D :nwor
Daz

Postby Daz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Kace wrote:Have you tried giving Eurospec a call? They installed it correct?

Gave them a call this morning the reciptionist said the don't diagnose issues over the phone but all their technicians were busy but would try to get one to give me a call and see if they can help... well no call came as of yet!! But there is always tomorrow.
Daz

Postby Daz » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Well still no joy :roll:

Its been in yet another garage and they couldn't find whats going on. But they have put me in contact yet another garage as they believe its in the ecu mapping and this next garage do all that sort of thing. So fingers crossed next week ot will be sorted
Daz

Postby ljk1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:31 am

The Vipec ecu is a full standalone ecu. So theres no mitsubishi unit in there.

You will need to download the vipec software.

If you have any more problems let me know, I have the same setup
ljk1

Postby brccrx » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Why not stock ECU, some FTO came with plastic case that can be mapped and its far better than after market computer, it give You knock sensor and its tunable on the road by simple 150e cable and free software.

Thats what i have on my 1.3 turbo FTO, 0.7bar, tuned on stock plastic case from 1.3 Colt, stock engine internals, stock headgasket, why should You waste pile of money for some viptec stuff when Your oem ECU can do better job :mrgreen:

I would rip it out and install plastic case OEM ECU, then You get the obd2 diagnostic back on, Your ecu can control the engine as it should, for example step motor that you have problems with atm...
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Daz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:50 pm

ljk1 wrote:The Vipec ecu is a full standalone ecu. So theres no mitsubishi unit in there.

You will need to download the vipec software.

If you have any more problems let me know, I have the same setup

Going into it 4th garage tomorrow hopefully, these guys will sort it they seam to know their stuff and willing to tackle the vipec ecu which others wouldn't. The fact they had about a dozen high performance cars there last week when i went to see them gave me hope. Several skylines 2 scoobys an evo a audi R8 and a TT an M5 and a porsche to name most so i am hopfull these guys can do it but if not i will give you a holla to extract some knowledge :D
Daz

Postby Daz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:55 pm

brccrx wrote:Why not stock ECU, some FTO came with plastic case that can be mapped and its far better than after market computer, it give You knock sensor and its tunable on the road by simple 150e cable and free software.

Thats what i have on my 1.3 turbo FTO, 0.7bar, tuned on stock plastic case from 1.3 Colt, stock engine internals, stock headgasket, why should You waste pile of money for some viptec stuff when Your oem ECU can do better job :mrgreen:

I would rip it out and install plastic case OEM ECU, then You get the obd2 diagnostic back on, Your ecu can control the engine as it should, for example step motor that you have problems with atm...

Not sure why not a stock ecu as conversion was done by eurospec in 2010, i guess they were happy doing it that way :smt017 and i guess without truely knowning its ran fine up untill i got my hands on it :oops:
Daz

Postby Daz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Wohoo!! Looks like it could finally be sorted!!!
Went to its 4th garage today. Had to leave it there was
Working lates and garage 25 miles away so couldn't just pick it up
Going back to get it in the morning. But spoke to them around 5pm and they said they had it sorted. They said they had to replace a gasket on the plenum chamber and there was an issue with the throttle position sensor, not sure if they fixed or replaced that, will know more tomorrow but either way i don't care cus its fixed :D :D :D can't wait to pick her up!!
Daz

Postby Bernard » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Excellent stuff, keep us posted.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Yes! its sorted!!!

Ok ive only do 30 miles in her, to get from garage straight to work but she was purring like a cat :D
Can't wait to finish work tonight, i'll take her out for a propper spin up the motorway
Will give another update in a week or two to see if she stay behaving :)
Daz

Postby Temeeo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:43 am

Daz wrote:Yes! its sorted!!!

Ok ive only do 30 miles in her, to get from garage straight to work but she was purring like a cat :D
Can't wait to finish work tonight, i'll take her out for a propper spin up the motorway
Will give another update in a week or two to see if she stay behaving :)

Happy days! :) So did they replaced the TPS? Which gasket was the culprit? The one with the six holes that sits under the plenum?
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Daz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:50 am

Temeeo wrote:
Happy days! :) So did they replaced the TPS? Which gasket was the culprit? The one with the six holes that sits under the plenum?

Didn't replace the TPS just re-configured it as the vipec map had it
Setting the idle way to high, and yea gasket under plenum chamber was the issue, an extra fiber one was added to metalic one to try to stop heat sink, but guys in garrage said it wasn't required as the turbos didn't add that much extra heat in that area so rebuilt without fiber one. Been running great since!!
Daz

Previous

Return to FTO Technical