is this oil ok in my fto?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

is this oil ok in my fto?

Postby kira34 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:57 pm

I have put in my fto gx..... castrol 0w-40w fully synthetic is this ok ? Or will it cause problems
kira34
1st gear
1st gear

Re: is this oil ok in my fto?

Postby colm_mcm » Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Seems overkill, seems a bit thin though, keep an eye on your levels, you may burn a bit
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:50 am

+1. Would be using 5/40. 0/40 is slimline for the FTO. Best to ask oilman though.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Jokke » Mon May 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi,

Even 5w/40 is bit slim side. For moderate climate advice is 15w/40 or 10w/40 synthetic.
Jokke
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:57 am

15w may be a little on the gloopy side but 10w should be ok. In an FTO engine the 15w may stick and clump. If that happened, it is potentially a very expensive cleaning job. I seen this happen before and there are a few examples on YouTube if you go overboard with viscosity
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Jokke » Wed May 23, 2012 1:35 am

Well I would not go with mineral oil anyways. Those values were from a chart.

And well there is a reason for those charts and why different engines would prefer different oils. For Irish climate I would not advice to go either way too far. If you take too slim you will throw your oil pressure out of the window and that will lead to the familiar bang when something expensive breaks. Thick side comes the clumping issues, but I would be really surprised if that happens with any of this old/much rolled with 15W (and not been rebuilt too tight).

With oils the price does not always equal better for your car. Rather spend that money to replace oil filter every round.
Jokke
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Jokke wrote:With oils the price does not always equal better for your car. Rather spend that money to replace oil filter every round.

Totally agree.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon May 28, 2012 2:49 pm

From my point of view, using a refined mineral oil (assuming it meets or exceeds the required API/ACEA standard) is sufficient in the vast majority of cases. We used to call the likes of Castrol GTX Magnetec 'semi-synthetic' back in the day but in actual fact its nothing more than a hydrocracked mineral oil veiled in marketing spiel. Low viscosity oils (e.g 0W) flow better at lower temperatures, improve start up fuel economy and satisfy the oil supply needs of hydraulic tappets. I would much rather run with a low viscosity oil over a higher weight in favour of the previous points. As per Jokke's point, climate is a factor, 5 - 10W is sufficient for our needs. 10W40 has been used more commonly in my experience. Its worth reading back through some of the older oil posts on the forum to get some other opinions, you can deep dive into the topic (and get lost!) or just touch the surface depending on your level of interest.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical