Useful tool if buying and selling...

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Useful tool if buying and selling...

Postby adrian » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:10 pm

Hi all,

With my line of work I found myself having to work out prices including and excluding VAT an awful lot on a calculator or excel spread sheet. Well, I just put together a very small and simple software tool to convert VAT amounts etc.

So, if you are interested a version is available at:

http://www.carwatch.ie/downloads/vat.zip

You could use it for working out percentages of anything...stamp duty, VRT as the VAT rate is configurable.

Hope is saves you as much time as it does me when quoting and getting quotes for products and services.

Cheers,

Adrian
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:44 pm

Nice one Adrian, looks good, any interest in making up a Jap import calculator? ;)

I had to download an updated Active X control (TabCtl32.OCX) to get it to work properly on XP Pro, you can get it here.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:52 am

Thanks CJ. If you gave me an EXACT spec i will see what I can do on the calc front for importing....
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby kevinod » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:03 pm

adrian wrote:Thanks CJ. If you gave me an EXACT spec i will see what I can do on the calc front for importing....

The total amount (cost of car + cost of shipping) -> X
X * 1.1 (10% customs) -> Y
Y * 1.21 (21% vat) -> Z
Z + VRT, which tends to vary a bit.

Yes they do charge you customs + vat on the total INCLUDING the cost of shipping, which can't possibly be justified in my mind, and yes, they do charge you VAT on the customs which they charge you at the same time.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby soc » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:59 pm

kevinod wrote:
adrian wrote:Thanks CJ. If you gave me an EXACT spec i will see what I can do on the calc front for importing....

Y * 1.21 (21% vat) -> Z

Yes they do charge you customs + vat on the total INCLUDING the cost of shipping, which can't possibly be justified in my mind, and yes, they do charge you VAT on the customs which they charge you at the same time.

I thought you paid the customs excise on the "cost the car + VRT" and the VAT on the "cost of car + VRT + excise", no?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:03 pm

soc wrote:
kevinod wrote:

Y * 1.21 (21% vat) -> Z

I thought you paid the customs excise on the "cost the car + VRT" and the VAT on the "cost of car + VRT + excise", no?

No, VRT comes last luckily enough they don't tax that particular tax. First 10% customs/excise on the cost of the car + shipping, then the VAT comes in on top of that, and then the VRT last.

Just so galling that they get away with taxing the customs amount that they've added themselves, basically a tax, not to mention including the cost of shipping in the whole equation.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Return to Off Topic