1979 Mini Clubman

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

1979 Mini Clubman

Postby Dilogoat86 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:25 pm

So, where do I start. This is a project I've had on the go for a long enough time. Too long if I'm honest. The car was originally bought by my Mother in '79 and she drove the little beauty until 1990/1991. Along it's life it had a few hiccups, nothing serious though. The worst of it was the original 1098cc engine had a fault, something valve related. My Mum can't remember the details and truth be told I bet she has no idea what happened. Either was, BL wouldn't stand over the fault and a 998cc was bought for her.

So years later, with two children and in financial trouble, my Mum and Dad decided that they needed a slightly newer car without the problems that the car had developed over the years. The boot floor was rusted through, it leaked water in everywhere and was a hard start...nothing too uncommon with the Minis. My Granddad refused to let her sell it to anyone else so he bought it from her and bought an almost scrap 850 as a donor car to fix the bits needed. So this was done by him over a few years. He gave it to me at some point before he died.

I brought it home in November of 2007 on a trailer. When I got it home it looked like it was in a sorry state.

It had been kept on a farm in Laois and was driven every so often by my Uncle to keep it in a startable condition. The engine bay was a home for some rats at some point and the interior was home to several species of spider. I did a clean up and gave it a service as it hadn't been serviced in 6 years...turned her over and she started. I drove her up and down the road a few times and eventually let her rest again. It needed a lot of work. The engine ran...but just about. The brakes were seized and unsafe. The tires were worn, perished and old. In general it was not good.

First things first were the brakes. I got my hands on a set of refurbished Cooper S 7.5" brakes, complete setup with everything I needed. These went on and were quickly followed up with a set of Dunlop D1s with a Yokohama A008 wrapping. I got the D1s for €100 at the Carrig-on-Sur show a few years back and was chuffed with them. They needed a clean and a new paint job so I got to work with the sandpaper and the nitromorse. Once the car was able to stop I drove it around the estate a few times again just to get that feeling once more. Couldn't get enough of it.

Next on my list were a few small things like bleeding brakes, checking the electrics and giving the car a proper clean inside and out. The seats were reupholstered during my Granddad's restoration work so they were nice enough, but the carpet was horrible and the whole car had absorbed a few Hoover bags of dust. Once clean, I pottered around my estate a few times again. I could get used to this. A steering column drop bracket was next...had to get that driving position right.

Somewhere along the way I was offered a set of spot lamps that I thought would look brilliant on the car, so I took the opportunity to buy them, and they did look good. I was happy.

I then one day randomly decided now was a good time to drive the car full time...so I rang the insurance company and made a permanent transfer to the Mini. A broader smile on my face has rarely come. I drove to work in it a few times a thoroughly enjoyed it. I took it on a few trips and even went to Belfast in it. Still, there was more work needed.

I rang Lloyd Hutchinson in Delgany and made an order with him for a set of AVO adjustable shocks, Hi-Los all around, knuckles and a few other small bits. Fitted them rather quickly after getting them :)

Then came the time when a 998 just wasn't quick enough for me. Nice and pokey some times, but overall I needed something a bit more. Stage 1 kit bought, fitted and enjoyed. Then came a horrible day.

April 3rd last year my father passed away suddenly. Massive brain haemorrhage and a fractured skull. I had to drive my Mum, and Sister to and from Beaumont Hospital for a week, by day 1 I knew it wasn't a viable solution. I took his E200k and drove that for a month or so. I needed for a few weeks anyway to drive people to and from various places. Very comfortable car I will admit, and not too sluggish either. Unfortunately, the lease purchase on the car was more than my Mum could afford on her on salary (Or so she thought) so it was traded in for a BMW Mini One Convertible for her. Ironically, she had to pay them €1500 and the Merc to get the Mini. Thankfully enough, there was an insurance policy that paid the loan in the end.

Back to the mini (Not the BMW one). So while driving the Merc the mini was off the road. I decided one random day that I wanted a new engine. So I took my Mum's old car, a Fiat Punto Convertible (*sigh*), and that was now my daily drive. I went about getting the bits I needed to get this engine I wanted. Nothing ridiculous at all, but still, something with a bit more poke. So I got 1275 for €150 that had only blown a head gasket, bargain. I used this as the donor engine for the build.

1293cc bore,
SW5 Cam,
New AE Pistons,
Rebuilt gearbox w/ central oil pickup,
Ported head with largest inlet and exhaust valves reseated with 160lb double valve springs and new guides.
Molybdenum diff pin,
HIF 44,
K&N 57i Filter,
Radtec alloy rad,
1.5 Rollertip Rockers,
2.2 turn Quickrack.

So as it stands, I've had the engine work completed and assembled. It's now in my driveway waiting for a trasfer gear housing, clutch flywheel and bell housing. I have everything else I need as far as I know now. It's just a matter of putting everything back where it belongs. I had also removed the subframe and repainted it along with the engine bay,

This is almost at completion point and is so far... RIDICULOUSLY over budget and has taken about twice as long as I'd hoped. Minis eh?

NEW POST]

So I got the transfer housing painted and on, I got the thermostat on and housing painted. Got a cowling for €10 and the cowling to mount bracket, bracket.

Ordered a few bits from MiniSpare;

Fuel Cap,
Rad Cap,
Engine mount Bracket (Gearbox Side) bolts x2,
Throttle Cable with nylon insert.

Need to get my hands on a fuel pump next, used one will do for the time being. Next I need to get the Crank oil seal pressed in, then the flywheel and clutch, and then drop her in. Other than that she's done. I painted the block and head glass black to go with my lovely gloss black and Silver theme in the bay. So far it looks wicked and I look the colours.

I also replaced a ball joint on the driver side due to the threads being pressed on one side making a nut impossible to start on it.

I'm also looking for one of those bolts for the top arm for the shock to sit on. You know the long ones?

Anyway, looking to have her started VERY soon.

Getting closer to that date when I can drive it again which will be a very good day :)

NEWS POST]
Since it was sunny today I pulled the finger out and did some work. Not a lot mind you but some :)

Realised after a phone call to Bert that my verto clutch is short its "Top hat" sleeve so I have to take the bell housing off and squeeze it in there. Not the worst thing in the world to have to do but annoying nonetheless.

Around the end of April I made an order to MiniSpares;

GAM215A MIRROR FLAT RH DOOR STAINLESS STEEL BODY 1

GAM216A MIRROR FLAT LH DOOR STAINLESS STEEL BODY 1

CJE10021 BONNET SEAL REAR 1992 on,self adhesive,FITS TO SCUTTLE PANEL 1

BARREL LOCK SET FOR PUSH BUTTON TYPE DOOR HANDLES 1970on 1

YGA1107 ROOF MOULDING LH 1

DDJ10002MS STRIP BETWEEN ARCHES 93 ON IN RUBBER 1

C5192A BRAKE BANJO BOLT TANDEM BRAKE AND CLUTCH FOR VERTO 1

ADU9102MS HEATER VALVE NON GENUINE-REQUIRES AUE 34 1

AUE34 CHOKE CABLE TRUNNION ACH9042 NIPPLE&53K3503 SCREW 1

37H7200 WIPER WHEEL BOX INC SPACERS AND NUT,CLUBMAN MK3 MINI ON 2

GZF108MA BODY SEAM PLASTIC SIDE TRIM BLACK DELUX SOLD PER METRE 8

Also order a set of Samco hoses from MiniSpeed 1

Shortly after getting everything in the post I got cracking putting everything on.

Things were all going very well until I went to start the car...then there was wiring problems, carb problems and so forth.

Currently the car is in the capable hands of Bert getting a few things done. Turns out the carb wasn't a runner and luckily he had one on a shelf and once that was on it started straight away.

Hopefully I'll get it back this weekend and after a tidy, a once over with a spanner, brake bleeding, tracking and re wiring the lights I'll be home free an able to insure and drive The General.

Thoughts?
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: 1979 Mini Clubman

Postby CJ » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Nice thorough post Dilogoat! Fair play for taking on the guts of the work yourself, I'm sure the final outcome will be worth it.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:01 pm

Wow that's fantastic...she's going to be a cracker when you get her done!
well impressed with the level work you're taking on yourself.. top class!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Dilogoat86 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Yeah, the level of work is all about just deciding to just do it. Nothing about cars is hard I've learned and if it doesn't fit then it's wrong. It all starts with being rather ballsy about taking on something you've never done before.

It ended up that I part build a Mini Racer that my mate raced in Mondello for a season or 2. It was a 1380cc Mini engine putting out ~120HP and it weighed about 600KG, so about 200HP/Tonne on slicks means a very mean racing car. I'm no expert by any stretch but for me it's all about the passion and the drive to take something standard and make it my own.
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby gfalls » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Mint.. :ll
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby TopCat » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Thats a hell of a post, really cool story that it's been in the family so long and will have so many memories attached to it. Fair play! :ll
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:19 am

Nice post, car looks great.

The new one is such a let down, can't beat the classics!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dilogoat86 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 pm

And it's full of shiny plished SS and alloy bits with silicon hoses. It's also quite load and flies through the four gears. Nippy little car :)
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Lovely looking Mini - I would imagine the sentimental value of this mini makes the value of the mods and the cost of keeping her on the road most worthwhile.

Its funny that cars like the Mini (and the FTO for that matter) - while they have no large value - can attract such attention and dedication from their owners.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dilogoat86 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:58 am

Sorry I haven't been on here very much but since selling the FTO I haven't had much time to do anything but work!

I've decided to take the Mini on the track and keep it road legal!

I've taken delivery of:
-rollcage
-stage 5 head
-full geometry front and rear
-rear bearings
-quick release engine mounts
-poly bushes

I'm having some massive BMW issues so until they're sorted this is on hold.
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Great job and very detailed post.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 am

very nice. wish I had the space and time for a project like that. but deffo a top job so far
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Any chance of selling it? Im looking for a 79 mini. I like the thoughts of no nct and it will be a cared for business car.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dilogoat86 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 pm

goz_83 wrote:Any chance of selling it? Im looking for a 79 mini. I like the thoughts of no nct and it will be a cared for business car.

€10,000 would take it...may be. I'm torn. I never want to sell it! But money talks sometimes.
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Return to Other Cars