FTO vs Altezza torque-wise

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

FTO vs Altezza torque-wise

Postby Bartpabicz » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Long time no see! Well, actually long time no talk as I visit this site regularly, mainly the "For sale" section. Yes, I'm in the market for a new FTO :) (V6 sound is the most addicting thing in a car I've experienced so far :shock: ) Since my old FTO days I bought several cars and ended up with a 2001 stock Altezza in fantastic shape. However I have noticed the pull is way weaker than in my previous GPX, and this applies to all rev range (maybe except 6500+). I would like to ask you, experienced owners and drivers who might have had the pleasure of driving a Toyota Altezza, is it normal and to be expected that a GPX's torque in lower revs would be that much better? I'm starting to think that either Miss Enzo's FTO was really heavily modded in a way that improves torque big time, or my Tezza needs some attention. I tried comparing dyno sheets of stock GPX and Altezza but it's really hard to find reliable data, and in same units. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated guys. Thanks
have you seen Zeitgeist The Movie? You should...
Bartpabicz
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: FTO vs Altezza torque-wise

Postby colm_mcm » Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 pm

The 6 cylinder is/altezza is a bit weedy, the body is also heavier.
My fto was almost diesel like for low end grunt, you could do roundabouts in 5th. The gearing is quite short too which would contribute.

Breathing mods and a decat would slightly help, but its only 158 odd horses, the rs200 is where its at if you want more poke, but I hate loud high revving 4 pot yokes
colm_mcm

Postby Bartpabicz » Thu May 03, 2012 12:32 am

Colm, I wasn't specific enough when talking about Altezza that I own. It is 4-cylinder, 210BHP RS200 version with BEAMS engine, it's not Lexus IS200-Japanese AS200 twin brother.

And it's still unresponsive ._.
Bartpabicz
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby StewyD32 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:41 am

Get rid of it and buy an FTO. You know you want to. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:51 am

:whs
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Thu May 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Get thee to a mechanic!
colm_mcm

Postby Bartpabicz » Fri May 04, 2012 2:05 am

Goz, Stewy, I should have expected that kind of answers on an FTO forum :D

Colm, in your opinion the car should be running better then? Equally good to a GPX for example?

Also, if any of you would have some experience in sport cars and would be living in Cork area, maybe I could drive over for you to check it up yourselves?
Bartpabicz
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby StewyD32 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:26 am

I have a friend who is in the Toyota owners club and is a club rep for Munster who lives near you Bart. I'm sure he can have a look for you. He should know what's up.
The beams should give the gpx a run for its money
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Bartpabicz » Fri May 04, 2012 11:24 am

Just got some feedback from Altezza forums and guys over there have confirmed my fears - it's the way these cars are built. No low-end torque, all the punch is above 5k RPM. Thank you for your help, and Stewy I think I won't be bothering you with contacting this friend of yours (much appreciate the offer though).
Bartpabicz
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 am

So. What you're saying is the gpx would piss all over the altezza. I heard those things are also very unstable. Looks like selling that fine mivec will be in your nightmares :)

Only yesterday I was talking to an FTO owner who considered buying it, but the price was too high. It's out of the club now isn't it?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bartpabicz » Fri May 04, 2012 3:15 pm

goz_83 wrote:So. What you're saying is the gpx would piss all over the altezza. I heard those things are also very unstable.

Well, I wouldn't go that far - it drives really well and brings a lot of joy on motorway or long straight roads. But, when it comes to accelerating, it lags behind if you don't rev it up high.

goz_83 wrote:Looks like selling that fine mivec will be in your nightmares :)
Only yesterday I was talking to an FTO owner who considered buying it, but the price was too high. It's out of the club now isn't it?

It's actually still in the club, but the new owner isn't very active. The price, I have to admit, was a bit on the high side when I first posted it, but the car eventually went for 2400 - fair price IMHO.

And yes, I still occasionally dream about that red beast... The engine sound was the best thing ever.
Bartpabicz
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to General FTO Discussion