Manual Gearbox needed

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Manual Gearbox needed

Postby fto999 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:59 pm

Hi All,
I have a grating noise in my gearbox and have been advised to replace it ASAP. Anybody got one for sale second-hand or even a few numbers I can check out? Any help will be appreciated. Roughly how much do they cost?
Plz & Tanx,
Martin.
fto999
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Eamon » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:41 am

Check out the "Services" link on the front page of this site.
Look for Japco - a big favourite of the UK owners club.
There's also a place called Japanese Autospares in Ireland.
There's a guy called Brian in Newry that seems to be a breaker - his number is posted somewhere on here as well.
Eamon
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:27 am

Rory may have one as well....... he sorted a tip box for shane.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:42 am

Dave wrote:Rory may have one as well....... he sorted a tip box for shane.

don't think rory has a manual box cause if he did I would have taken it for a conversion :twisted: - IMHO I reckon you would be very lucky to find a 2nd hand manual box in ireland - best bet would be to try camskill, japco, usave auto etc. in UK. I tried to find one when I was initially weighing up the options after my tipbox went and found them to be very rare..

best of luck and hope you get it sorted soon
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Manual Gearbox needed

Postby soc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:45 am

fto999 wrote:Hi All,
Roughly how much do they cost?

I was quoted 450 sterling for a 2nd hand one off SG but I think he sold it before I could decide. I reckon you're looking at min €650 +
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:39 am

I did not have a manual box, but came across one last Saturday. I am negotiating the price for the entire car at the moment. I will enquire further today to see if he will sell the box straight away. I would say you are definetly looking at 700-750.

Will let you know later

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:39 pm

Would one from a 2.0l Galant do? (Not that I have one just asking the question)
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby steelroe » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:37 pm

The FTO is fitted with manual box F5M42 (this is stamped on the top of the box). 5 and M stand for 5 speed Manual therefore a 5 speed tip is fitted with a F5A42 and 4 speed is F4A42

Same box is fitted to galant in Japan. I did a quick search for this model on the net and there are lots of hits. This model is fitted to Colts,Carisma and Galants. Not sure if the gear ratio is the same or not. Must dosome more checking. Doub't if it would be that simple.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:51 pm

steelroe wrote:I did not have a manual box, but came across one last Saturday. I am negotiating the price for the entire car at the moment. I will enquire further today to see if he will sell the box straight away. I would say you are definetly looking at 700-750.

Will let you know later

Rory

mmmm, maybe I should have waited a little longer........ no matter now - tipbox is with garage and I'm just waiting for it to get fitted. And it looks like I'll be selling up in July/August - got my eye on a nice white Evo V :twisted: but I need to find the wife a nice 02/03 golf first so that she can't complain.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Manual sorted....

Postby fto999 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:53 pm

Thanks guys for all the help.
Brian sorted me with a swap out when I rang him this morning. (Not in my possession yet but he sounds dead-on). He is currently breaking a 97 GR if anybody needs parts. It would be interesting to know if the galant box would suit.
Martin.
fto999
1st gear
1st gear

Return to General FTO Discussion