Renewal with 123.ie

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Renewal with 123.ie

Postby karlf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Got my quote by email for this year and it's shocking (in a good way). Only switched to 123.ie last year and had to insure my mams focus for 2 months first as they won't take fto as new business. Paid roughly €800 iirc between both policies for the year. With increasing premiums the norm now I was expecting it to go up. I was wrong, €302 tpft on 96 gpx 10 years ncb, 30 yr old male in Dublin. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I turned 30 last month and that's the first benefit I've found so far. :lol:
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: Renewal with 123.ie

Postby Sebastian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Go fully comp . shouldn't be much ontop of that
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby optical illusion » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Sebastian wrote:Go fully comp . shouldn't be much ontop of that

What he said.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:09 am

Wow, thats really good. Delighted for you!

Question, is it worth going fully comp on a car worth in the region of €1-2k? My reasoning being that if you have a tip involving just yourself, the worst case, the right-off value (say €1500) will hardly be worth claiming as your premium will shoot up for the next 3-4 yrs (3x€500)? And thats not even allowing for a excess which is generally written into most cheap policy's now.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:16 pm

TopCat wrote:Wow, thats really good. Delighted for you!

Question, is it worth going fully comp on a car worth in the region of €1-2k?

I'd be thinking the same way, can anyone find a drawback with the TPF&T route considering current FTO values
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:40 pm

I'd personnally consider TPFT is it was me, it might be a small saving but its still a saving, might pay for your tax for 3 months look at it that way. To be honest, if an FTO is written off nowadays, its basically going to be deemed a write off correct? Due to the cost of getting a quote from Mitsubishi cause you have to get quotes from main dealers and all this rubbish. Is it worth going fully comp for that?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Dragonheart wrote:To be honest, if an FTO is written off nowadays, its basically going to be deemed a write off correct?

No sh!t Sherlock :ll
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Bernard wrote:
Dragonheart wrote:To be honest, if an FTO is written off nowadays, its basically going to be deemed a write off correct?

No sh!t Sherlock :ll

LOL - very astute MJ. :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:10 pm

Ah yes, I see ye're point, that comment may not have been thought out quite so well as I thought. Aren't we lucky to have such observant and helpful members on the forum? :D

Just to clear things up so, :)

If an FTO is involved in an accident nowadays, its basically going to be deemed a write off correct?

Hold on I'll just get Windows to perform a Bernard....sorry I mean a spell check.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:30 pm

I have been TPFT for the past 5 years or so. Absolutely no point in shelling out for a car that's worth less than 1k.

I also use the max excess in order to reduce the premium to its minimum.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Well....getting fully comp on my gpx was 94 euro extra, but saved me circa 600 in the confusion :mrgreen:
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 am

Kace wrote:I have been TPFT for the past 5 years or so. Absolutely no point in shelling out for a car that's worth less than 1k.

I also use the max excess in order to reduce the premium to its minimum.

I'd be with Kace on this one. Fully comp on a 1K car is pointless. I've never had a claim in over 20years of driving - would have saved myself a fair few bucks by just going with 3rd party F & T.
For me it comes down to risk vs value of car and price of the difference between 3rd party and fully comp - everyones equation will be different. If I have a 30K car I'll have fully comp - if its a 2K FTO it's def gonna be 3rd party F&T.

I have fully comp on the Pajero EVO purely because the price of replacement parts would make you cry -
FTO's are now disposable - actually makes a lot of sense (if you have the space) to have a second FTO for parts although there seems to be good availability of cheap 2nd hand FTO parts.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:43 am

Was reminded of this post when saw photos of the recent flooding in Dublin. I stick with my comments regarding not seeing the point in going fully comp on a low value car, but I'd be sickened if I had a car in one of them basements that got flooded. Would have thought if fire was covered, flooding would too, but apparently not. :(
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:41 pm

TopCat wrote:Was reminded of this post when saw photos of the recent flooding in Dublin. I stick with my comments regarding not seeing the point in going fully comp on a low value car, but I'd be sickened if I had a car in one of them basements that got flooded. Would have thought if fire was covered, flooding would too, but apparently not. :(

Well - I live on a hill (100metres over sea level) so if the water reaches my car I reckon that my car insurance will be the least of any of our problems. :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:11 pm

The issue is not really the value of the car -it's the price differential between 3rd pf&T and comp.
If you have a protected NCB (again this costs extra admittedly) then you should comforatbly be able to claim the €1-2k write off value and retain your NCB.
I'd rather have €2k than not. Without a protected NCB the case for comp insurace on a low value car is hard to make.

However it's not quite as clear cut as that. Some insurers bundle other extras into the comp policy which are not included in the 3rd pf&t cover -brake down cover, journey continuance, etc. This of course muddies the waters, making a direct comparison more difficult.

Having breakdown cover on an old and low value car is probably more useful than having it on a newer higher value notionally more reliable car.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Thats true Ross, the breakdown assist can be handy, and if you used that once in a year, its probably worth the difference in cost.

But, something to consider with the NCB protection. If you do have an accident, and decide to shop around at renewal, insurer's still ask when your last claim/accidnt was, and some won't honour that NCB protection. So you might end up stuck with little choice when renewing. I'm not 100% on the exact way this works though, so I'm open to correction/clarification.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to Motor Insurance