Purchasing from UK - warranty transfer

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Purchasing from UK - warranty transfer

Postby CJ » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:00 pm

I've been looking at the option of bringing in a relatively new car from the UK, it appears there are still savings to be had on certain marques. Does anyone know if a UK manufacturer warranty is transferable to IE? I'm fairly sure a new car purchased in any EU country on the premise that its intended for export comes with a transferable warranty,I'm unsure about nearly new second hand motors though...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Purchasing from UK - warranty transfer

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Manufacturer warranties are transferred but In practice it can be difficult If the irish warranty is shorter.

Had a fuel pump go on an 05 uk passat in 08 and vw ireland wouldn't cover it, dealer up north would no problem.

From working in toyota I can tell you that uk models are covered but work needs to be authorized by toyota gb in advance or the dealer may never get paid. This obviously makes turnaround longer.

I suspect that some longer warranties in the uk are covered by the dealer and not the distributors, I don't think they transfer in this case. Not something I'm up to speed on tbh.

What are you looking at?
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:20 pm

colm_mcm wrote:What are you looking at?

Various saloons - CR vRS, 159 JTDM, i-DTEC and that ilk, I'm even starting to consider TDCi's, how times have changed....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 am

The horror.....

Sick of the bm already?
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:23 pm

colm_mcm wrote:Sick of the bm already?

The 320d is a capable motorway warrior and hasn't missed a beat on the weekly 500 mile commute but I could do with an automatic (you can take the man out of the tiptronic...), something a bit more up to date and perhaps a bit of refinement - latter day diesels have really come on in recent years.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Danny Kierans » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:19 pm

CJ wrote:
colm_mcm wrote:Sick of the bm already?

The 320d is a capable motorway warrior and hasn't missed a beat on the weekly 500 mile commute but I could do with an automatic (you can take the man out of the tiptronic...), something a bit more up to date and perhaps a bit of refinement - latter day diesels have really come on in recent years.

CJ

make sure you change the breather pipe to the new modified one or you will be looking for a turbo soon. :wink:
My new site http://www.turbowizz.com
The Kandy FTO maker. :)
Playstation id= danny-jnr-why

NO-1GR MANUAL 96|NO-2GR TIP 94|NO-3 GPVR MANUAL 97|
Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby CJ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Clogged crank case breather filters and gunked up EGR valves can be an issue on diesel BMs, 'breather pipe' is a new one on me, its a not something I've come across when researching M47 engined E46's, perhaps an M47N issue?
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Danny Kierans » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:49 am

CJ wrote:Clogged crank case breather filters and gunked up EGR valves can be an issue on diesel BMs, 'breather pipe' is a new one on me, its a not something I've come across when researching M47 engined E46's, perhaps an M47N issue?

yes same thing its a crank breather pipe. that was o.e made with a cotton filter in it ,which bmw has upgraded to a new system but did not recall the cars.its in all models from 3 to 7 series.i do alot of turbos due to this breather pipe.if your not sure if it has been changed id do it anyway.

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby gfalls » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:31 pm

CJ wrote:

Various saloons - CR vRS, 159 JTDM, i-DTEC and that ilk, I'm even starting to consider TDCi's, how times have changed....

CJ

You thinking of coming over to the dark side? I can highly recommend it :D
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:53 am

I'd thoroughly recommend something with a dsg box.

Jokes aside, an octavia 2.0 tdi with dsg in estate with bigger wheels is a nice car
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:14 pm

colm_mcm wrote: an octavia 2.0 tdi with dsg in estate with bigger wheels is a nice car

Hence the interest in the vRS TDI. You can pick up a used UK 2010 facelift model with DSG and land it for 8k less than the asking price of a lower specced model on an Irish forecourt. Example here.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:47 pm

CJ, I transferred my manufacturers warranty when I brough in the 320d - I'm pretty sure I got the full 3 yrs as well. I rang BMW ireland before I brought the car in and they said all I had to do was call them to add the cars details once I'd registered it here - it was as simple as that.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 pm

CJ wrote:I've been looking at the option of bringing in a relatively new car from the UK, it appears there are still savings to be had on certain marques. Does anyone know if a UK manufacturer warranty is transferable to IE? I'm fairly sure a new car purchased in any EU country on the premise that its intended for export comes with a transferable warranty,I'm unsure about nearly new second hand motors though...

CJ

My Vauxhall-Opel warranty transferred no problem.. just make sure youhave a full service history from dealer-authorised-garages with the car..
..I checked with the local Opel garage in Drogheda before buying and they said "no problem"..I've since had a service from Airside, and checked with them as well..

..All is good in the hood..For another while atleast..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 pm

CJ wrote:

CJ

CJ,
Have you driven any of these cars yet? If so what did you think? What's the verdict.
A warranty is definitely a must have with a modern diesel. Every time I flirt with the idea of acquiring one I get scared off by tales of sudden terminal failure- It seems that every marque has it's own (serious) issues with diesel engined cars. The extent of it is frightening. Compared to a petrol engine it looks like a game of Russian roulette. I just don’t know if the fuel savings justify the risk?

My brother bought a new legacy boxer diesel in 2009. He’s one of those people who bought for the low tax rate and not because he does big mileage. The car is mainly used for tipping around town. Anyway last year after ~30km the clutch went –not that the warranty was any use as it was a wear and tear item. €600 to fix

My brother in law drives a ’08 Mondeo diesel, just before Christmas at 79km the dual mass flywheel gave up. €1500 for a new flywheel and clutch. Ouch! Again these are wear and tear items, but the frequency with which they consume these items, is simply unacceptable. That on top of the other expensive diesel specific failures that only ever seem to be just around the corner…
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 pm

I've driven them all with mixed results, the Skoda is leading the pack at the moment.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Danny Kierans » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 pm

CJ wrote:I've driven them all with mixed results, the Skoda is leading the pack at the moment.

CJ

the skoda is the best out there at the moment,even beats the new audi's for half the $$$ and its faster :D

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Danny Kierans » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 pm

and i know some who can give you good discount on skoda parts...lol

Danny Kierans
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Mustang » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 am

CJ wrote:I've driven them all with mixed results, the Skoda is leading the pack at the moment.

CJ

CJ -that would have been my expectation too -certainly from a performance point of view. However, after fuel economy, the next more important criteria (in my book) for a commuter box is comfort. How does the Skoda stack up on that front? I'd be concerned over stiffly sprung suspension on this 'sporty' model.
On that front I'd have thought the accord would be top dog?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 am

The Octavia was just as comfortable on the motorway as the rest of them, I was surprised.
The Accord is a fine car and is suited to horsing up and down the motorway but I just didn't dig it for some reason. The new styling didn't appeal to me either.
The Alfa got ditched because its an Alfa (conversely, it was in the list to begin with because its an Alfa).
The new Mondeo is a good car, albeit uninspiring but it would be my second choice of commuter boxes out of the bunch.

So, I've pretty much decided on the Octavia. Its quick, comfortable, economical, cheap to tax, you can fit a shed in the boot and the facelift model arguably has a better quality interior than a lot of the more 'prestige' VAGs that I'd care to mention. On a related note, I considered leftfield choices as the TT TDI and Scirocco TDI but didn't get to test drive them, on paper they look interesting, work for another day perhaps....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:34 am

Was a seat exeo ever in the running?
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:47 am

colm_mcm wrote:Was a seat exeo ever in the running?

Its an A4 by another name, right? I'm pretty sure they share the same lump. I didn't consider the Seat to be honest but I looked at A4's and A5's, the latter was somewhat appealing in 3.0 form but was a bit out of my price range.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:13 am

It's the old a4 with the newer 2.0 engine.

Not a major fan of the styling but it'd come in cheaper than an a4.
Ive only driven the new a4 in 120hp form and it was surprisingly nippy, moreso than the 177hp is220d trade in!
colm_mcm

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:28 am

You'd get an 09 2.0 143ps SE (20k) home for about €18k

Dunno how that stacks up against a vrs

Irish spec exeo sucks by the way.
colm_mcm

Return to Other Cars