Mazda RX8 (Brother thinkin of Buyin

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Mazda RX8 (Brother thinkin of Buyin

Postby steelroe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm

My younger brother is thinking of buying this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1883486
Asked me my opinion but to be honest I know very little about them. Can anyone enlighten me.

Models
Known Problems
Things to look out for etc
Tax Insurance
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Mazda RX8 (Brother thinkin of Buyin

Postby richardc9052 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:36 am

What's Bad

Must check oil every second fill of petrol, but actually uses no more than many conventional cars.

Recommended oil Dexelia ultra 5W-30 semi synthetic.

Car must NEVER be started then shut down without reaching full operating temperature or petrol washout will harm rotor seals. Car must not be used for short runs from cold.
What to Watch Out For

On very early 2003 cars, lower suspension arm ball joint and/or entire arm can fail so make sure recall work below has been carried out.

Make sure a heat shield has been installed between exhaust pipe and plastic fuel tank (particularly important on independent imports which also means ALL automatics).

Apparently, if the car is stationary for a long time with the revs running high the exhaust ports of the engine can melt, resulting in red hot molten metal shooting into the cat converter, spiking it.

Have been some early clutch failures, after as little as 11,500 miles. New clutch £940 and unlike original clutches apparently warranted for 2 years or 24k miles. Pipe from oil cooler corrodes, leading to severe oil leak and a seized engine.

Water gets into the self levelling xenon headlight electrics and replacing both with quotes at more than £1500. Anti roll bar links can fail after three years.

Cats also prone to failure if the car has either been over-revved or driven short runs from cold (£1011.31 at Mazda prices). Front anti roll bar links prone to fracture and plastic/nylon sleeve bushes prone to wear.
Recalls

7-5-2004 (build 28-7-03 to 29-8-03): Possible cracking of dynamic damper heat insulator. 10-8-2005 (build 28-7-2003 to 27-12-2003). Cracks may occur in lower suspension arm (check exact VINs on Recalls Database).

10-8-2005 (build 28-7-03 to 1-7-2005): Possible fuel leak (check exact VINs on Recalls Database). (TSB to fit heat shield between exhaust system and fuel tank)

Direct link to VOSA recalls database www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Taken from: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/rx8-2003/?
Cos they are "GORGEOUS" - StewyD32
richardc9052
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Looks like a Jap import, personally, I'd stick with an Irish or UK car. Head on over to www.irishrotary.com, the lads will put you straight. Alternatively, give me a call if you want to discuss the pros and cons...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Cheers for the offer CJ. He decided against in the end, something just not right about it. Pit yours is not still available as he would have taken it off your hands. Will be a big change from a 96 Honda Civic 1.4

Again thanks guys
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars