oil catch can install

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

oil catch can install

Postby nairnman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:57 pm

after many attempts and 5 metres of silicone hose also a pcv valve i have finally found a install worth sharing with. i 1st made my own catch can and installed it between the join of the 2 banks and to then to the intake manifold (without pcv valve) but this led to a valve cover blowing its gasket, so i then replaced the gasket and started again this time installing it to the front bank to intake manifold (without pcv valve) but this led to hunting of the revs while decelarating, reason for no pcv is i took it apart and feck it up. but reading on the net you didnt need one. but i asure you, the engine does but back to that in a minute, i sourced a cheap replacement pcv which is off a saab basically a one way valve, when your on throttle the air gets sucked out of the valve cover (blowby gasses) and off throttle is pushes air back into the valve cover, therefore blowing my valve cover and cam seal, so thats why you should fit the pcv valve. i learned the hard way so you shouldnt have to. but now the confusing part after testing i realised i just kept getting hunting all the time and yes i cleaned the stepper motor and found that once i blocked the port to the intake manifold after the pvc it stopped hunting so i installed my oil catch can from the original pcv location to the induction piping using a t-piece from rear bank to induction and using a pcv valve. now the car runs a dream and also knowing there will be no crap in the throttle body but remember to clean the tb before hand. heres the install also i wrote this quickly as the wife is moaning. no power gains just nice to look at and a clean throttle body also look forward to see whats in it at next service

1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: oil catch can install

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:47 am

Lovely clean engine bay, Atren't catch cans on NA engines a bit pointless though, None of my FTOs ever had problems caused by oil in the intake.

What model is it?
colm_mcm

Postby nairnman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:31 am

this is the gr model, im trying to find out how easy it is to put a gpx or any mivec engine in, i put the can in purely because i had one and not wanting to waste money, it will probaly has little cleaning ability but its one of those things where people go wow whats that and i can sound clever and try to explain what it does lol, in the search for catch cans installed on n/a fto,s not many have done it or have and its not doing its job due to incorrect setup
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Very impressed with that engine bay.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby nairnman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:50 pm

thankyou i want to swap the engine for a mivec but either way engine will come out to spray all the engine bay matte black
1996 gr sport
nairnman
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to General FTO Discussion