Sunroof Problem Fixed

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Sunroof Problem Fixed

Postby goz_83 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Today I was pulling up to the garden centre to find some furniture and maybe a good BBQ. It was a decent day in Dublin, so I had the sunroof open. I tried to close it, but it only half closed and then backed up a couple of inches. This persisted over several attempts. It was 2pm, so I thought I would get it to the garage to get sorted before it got too late. At 4, I rang to check the progress and they had just started to look at it. They rang just before 5 to say they couldn't do anything and were way too busy and asked if I could bring it in another day. I was disappointed to say the least, considering all the business I have given them.

I got the car home and removed the sunroof to get a better look at the action of the rails. It was clear that a piece of plastic was jamming the rail. I don't know why, as this piece was part of the guide. I removed it by tapping it out with a flat head screw driver and did the same on the other side. Success. It tool less that 15 minutes and the problem was solved. I had the opportunity to treat the rust on the inside of the sunroof around the glass, which was good. I am relieved I fixed it, but at the same time, I am annoyed the mechanic couldn't and I wonder if he actually tried.

If this ever happens to anyone else, the plastic pieces where my rail was jamming in about 3 fifths of the way to ward the windscreen. If the metal part of the rail is stopping at this part and then reversing back, you only have to snap the plastic piece out and the window functions perfectly after.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Sunroof Problem Fixed

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:18 pm

I'd imagine those tabs do something?
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

colm_mcm wrote:I'd imagine those tabs do something?

They were only preventing my sunroof from closing. I don't know how it happened. It was working fine before and without the little tabs, the window is working perfectly now.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Gerry » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:47 pm

As long as you keep tabs on it you should be ok :smt003
Gerry
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby holio » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:07 am

Good man Gary, quite the TAB hand you are. Did it require a belt with the hammer or just a TAB.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 am

BAT man will keep TABs on it alright.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby hylander » Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 pm

FTOs come in sunroof flavor!!! Thought they all had Aircon with leaky pipes....Sunroof beats leaky pipes any day.... but leaky sunroof is way worse that leaky pipes lol
hylander
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Yeah only the best of the ftos have a sunroof :)

Just as well my sunroof isn't leaky....same goes for my pipes. It's all working sweeeet. An underseal will keep the rust away, so that's all she needs right now.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby technikhaus » Thu May 10, 2012 2:29 am

the FTO I just bought seems to have had the seal around my sunroof recently replaced :D

Thanks for the tip on the guide though, will keep this in mind if I require it :D
1996 FTO GPX Manual in White with sunroof :D
technikhaus
Octane king
Octane king

Return to FTO Technical