Another one bites the dust

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Another one bites the dust

Postby Temeeo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi all,

As some of you already know I've been involved earlier this week in an accident. Was on my way to work and third party pulled across my path at the junction of Constitution Hill and Western Way. Both me and the third party were taken to hospital for checkup and our cars were towed away to Gannons in Donabate. Nobody got "hurt" - I suppose that's the main thing, my chest is hurting (X-ray revealed that nothing is broken) and my knee and neck are stiff but I assume I should be back to normal in few days/weeks at most.

It only fully hit me today and I'm starting to get "emotional" - weekend was always the time to do a bit of work on the car, take it out somewhere nice for a drive and give it a good wash/polish/wax. It was my way of relaxing. I keep glancing out of the window but the car is not there. :smt005 Just last weekend I changed filters and treated the car to a fresh batch of Millers Nanodrive.

I swore to keep the car on the road no matter what. However the ultimate goal that I was working towards was having it restored to like new or better than new condition and have it on a stand in car shows with some period brochures, magazine reviews, scale model behind the rear window and mirrors on the floor around the car to show that she is spotless inside out. For that I think I need a solid chassis so while I think the car could be repaired I will most likely be looking for another one.

I'll post another thread in the For Sale section outlining what I'm after - I'm hoping that I'll be able to tempt some members to part with their pampered pride and joy.

Here is a picture of my car after the accident, excuse the quality my hands were a bit shaky wasn't sure what I was doing:

And the third party (damaged on both sides):

99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: Another one bites the dust

Postby Bernard » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Glad to hear that you got away relatively unscathed, really sorry to see all that damage to your car though.
I remember spotting that car for sale before you bought it, and after seeing the pictures you posted of it I'm sure it was one of the best in the country.
Fingers crossed everything works out, have you confirmed chassis damage?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Really sorry about this man. Its a tragedy, but as much love as you have for the car, it's good you don't seem too worse for wear. I felt pain within minutes of the accident I was in (as you might remember). It just got worse the next day and the worst of the injuries didn't really show for a couple of weeks, so make sure you het properly checked out. Any back pain needs an MRI in my opinion. Chest pain is likely from the seat belt, but could be thoracic injury.

Regarding the car, i am sure George can fix it and get it back to new if you want. Let me know if you want to bring it to him and I will give him the heads up and you should get a pretty good price. I have a couple of headlights here that you can have for free. Mick has a facelift bumper in Georges, which I am sure he will sell for €50. It has the lights in it. Other parts....well, I am pretty sure there is an fto breaking in Kilcock salvage, but I reckon you should buy a breaking car for €200 or less. Does not matter what year it is. I'm happy to lend a hand anytime it's needed.

Come take a look at the GPX in my garden. It's no longer mine really, but you can check out the repairs done and see how good it is in the flesh.

Regarding insurance....Is it a straight forward third party at fault? If so, make sure you get your moneys worth back. Your fto was as clean as mine, so you should get take no less than €2500. Scrappage will likely offer up to €500, so tha comes off the pay out, if you want to keep the car. Don't be afraid to get a rental either. The third party should cover this. I had the mondeo, so I didn't ask for a rental. Keep us posted.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:31 pm

You know when you got a good deal and that you're doing a good job working on the car when there are people approaching you to buy the car, taking pictures of it and commenting on how clean it is. I left a chap to take the car for a spin at the last Cars and Coffee meet in Cherrywood and he liked it a lot, was commenting on the handling, sound, gearshift throw etc. it has put a big smile on my face.

I'm not sure what the full extent of the damage is, I haven't seen it since the accident. I remember thinking that the wheel on the passenger side was moved backwards a bit - that would suggest that that the subframe has moved and the subframe is mounted on the chassis, won't know for sure until I see the car. I've been at home since the accident just taking it easy.

Yes Goz, I believe it was the third party's fault. I don't know if you know the junction, the road splits into two lanes maybe 100meters before the junction. I was heading inbound (city center), there was a few cars in the right lane (heading inbound too) and none in the left lane, I moved over to the left and continued on as the lights just turned green, when I got to the junction I spotted a car crossing my path (coming from opposite direction, making right hand turn, he was very close only a few meters away I would say) haven't seen him sooner because of the cars in the right lane (he hasn't seen me for the same reason either).

When I spoke with Gardai yesterday they told me that the first car in the right lane flashed him to go!

My biggest fear is that the insurance will write the car off and give my some ridiculous amount like €1000 because that's what the rusted high mileage automatic GRs and GXs on DoneDeal go for...
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Be sure to say you had a green light, rather than something like "as I approached, the lights turned green". Any damage can be repaired and I doubt it would be as extensive as the repairs needed on my gpx. The insurance certainly write it off, but you don't have to accept them giving you low ball amounts. Point out to the assessor that it was in the top 5 examples in the country and worth multiples of the abused crap for sale on Done Deal. I have a copy of the insurance pay out I received for the car, so you're welcome to use a copy of that if you need to. You should be getting 2k minimum and I know it doesn't pay you back, but it will be more than enough to get it repaired if you decide to.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gazmcg89 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Be sure to print out any ads that come up priced in the region of what you hope to get dont take a low ball offer note things that make your car more valuble than the others

http://www.adverts.ie/7322786

http://www.adverts.ie/7213813

http://www.adverts.ie/7391445

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/8636644
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Temeeo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:07 am

Thanks lads! I've been involved years back in an smaller accident, it was really clear who's fault it was but the third party suggested we moved the cars from the scene to allow the traffic to pass, not knowing better I agreed and followed him to a little alley about 100 meters or so from the scene of accident. When we got there he totally changed his note and started blaming me, long story short I paid for bulk of the repairs on my car - so I've learned a lesson.

When it comes to claims like this and dealing with insurance companies I have no experience and don't know what to expect, so all the advice is appreciated!
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Unfortunately I am going through it for the second time, so here is the process I followed.

At scene, when there are no injuries to tend to (as in your case), take plenty of photos of the vehicle damage and vehicle position.

If you did not get photos of the general area of the accident, that is fine. Google maps and street view is great for this and should be used in any case.

Where the Gardai are called, take note of the Garda name and badge number and ask where they are stationed.

Exchange insurance and contact information with the other party and never admit liability, even if you were obviously in the wrong. This is a condition of your insurance, though I know you were not in the wrong here.

Have witnesses contact information taken if you can. The Gardai may have done this if they attended.

After the accident scene:

Once any injuries are checked out, try to keep names of treating Doctors, if possible. Get your GP to check you out too. This is important for keeping track of potentially troublesome injuries.

Contact your insurance company at earliest convenience and inform them of the accident. Give the third party details and tell them that you wish to make a claim from the OTHER parties insurance and not your own. They should assist you here. Ask them about a rental car and how you should proceed and how to get the other party to cover it. Your insurer will send an accident report form for you to complete.

The other insurance company will contact you, but you are welcome to contact them first. You may need to sort a rental with them, which won't be an issue if liabilty is not in dispute. If it is, you may need to cover the cost of it yourself and then claim it back in special damages, usually with the property loss claim.

The other party will send an assessor to look at your car. I suggest you be present when the assessor arrives. Have your printed car ads, including the thread where you paid €2500 for the car a year ago. Haveall receipts of work done, down to the oil changes and air filters. Make it obvious the car was well loved and not abused.

Now, get your photos organised for the accident report form. Save a couple of google map and street view images and use MS paint (crude, i know, but effective) to mark any areas. Mark other vehicle positions. Use direction arrows to make it idiot prrof. Write the report in full detail, mentioning the weather, the road conditions, the traffic conditions, your seatbelt, if you had the radio on, of off.....everything. I can show you my accident report stuff if it helps. I am meticulous with details, which is important for this type of thing.

Assuming liability is not in dispute, the insurance company will make you an offer for property damage. Sign if happy, and argue if not. Most people have to argue the value, but I knew the assessor was being as fair as possible with me, so I didn't argue. When signing, be sure that you are signing ONLY for property damage and not for ALL claims and damage. It is not unusual for an insurance company to try to trick people into settling ALL claims, when the intention is only to settle for car damage.

If you are needing to claim for injuries, I suggest going to a solicitor. I can recommend a good one who will offer the no-win no-fee service. He is my family solicitor for years and isn't one of these guys who froth at the mouth with injury claims. The aim is to get better, quicker, not to get rich. So take the advise of the Doctors and hopefully you will not findnyou have a serious injury. I was absolutely gutted when my back injury turned out to be so serious.

Any claim will go through the Injuries Board www.injuriesboard.ie and the application is about €50. A medical report will need to accompany this, which cost €250-€300. Some solicitors will do this immediatly as I have heard. Mine waited an appropriate time, not to jump the gun, which has in fact saved about a year (long story). The injuries board process can be read on the site, so I won't get into that, other than to say that the other side have 3 months to make a decision. The injuries board will not always accept cases and may issue a court authorisation. They seem to encourage you do not seek legal advice. I think legal advice is essential.

If you have any questions, ask away.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Ah balls! Thanks God ye both are alright!!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Temeeo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:07 pm

I kind know the general gist, but when the accident happened I forgotten it all.

After the impact I sat in a car for a while just starring into nowhere, then I looked around and noticed that there was a bus standing beside me (he was heading in the opposite direction and was most likely standing behind or beside the third party on the lights) and the driver was gesturing to come over. When I came over the driver has asked "You had a green light right?" I said yes and he nodded his head and said it's all on the camera, I was a bit in a shock and didn't get at first what he was saying, so he had to repeat himself (it was recorded on the onboard camera) and then wrote down his name and the bus number for me on piece of paper.

I only took one picture of my car and three of the third party's car + one of their insurance disc then I went back to my car and just sat there starring into nowhere rubbing/holding my chest that was hurting. Never taken down the name of the gentleman from the other car or any other details - it has totally escaped me, I only remembered few minutes later when the ambulance and fire brigade arrived and they told me not to worry about any of that that I'll be able to get all the information from Gardai (and I did the following day)

I'm very detailed oriented person as well so I'll go ahead and prepare some stuff for the accessors.
The only work I've had done by garages on the car was the aircondition re-gass and the clutch slave cylinder change (which they did a balls of http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14833&p=112788&hilit=slave+cylinder#p112788 ) after that I started doing all the work myself. I generally have receipts lying around for a week or two and then I throw them away, some parts were ordered online though so I should have some invoices there + I generally take some pictures (I must have couple of hundreds pictures of my car :) )

The neck and knee pain that I was experiencing the day after the accident is subsiding but the chest pain is still the same (very localised), think I'll wait for a week or so and if it still persists I'll pay my GP a visit.
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:20 pm

I think you should pay your GP a visit, as a precaution, as soon as possible. It's something you should not wait to do and looks suspect if you wait and then need to make a claim.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:21 am

sorry to read the detail of this Temeeo, it sucks. Glad you are ok.
Also wanted to say, great advice from Goz! I reckon he is pretty much spot on there.
As well as attending a GP to get the chest pain checked ASAP, try to get the footage from Dublin bus ASAP too. If it is indeed all on tape that the you had a green and the other party pulled through on a flash, well then its an open shut case and this will simplify the entire claim process.
Regarding the FTO; There's still a few very clean examples out there, so if you want to get a clean/very clean example to continue your goal, I'm positive you'll find the right one. People are always looking to move on for various reasons, especially if they've had the car 5+ years and looked after it meticulously. Buying a house, or getting married, kids etc. So you'll find the right one for sure.
Health is most important anyway, so get to the GP as Goz says, it will support a claim if you attend sooner (especially if experiencing pain) too, but besides that...its the most important thing to check out your health regardless.
It's a nightmare dealing with all this crap, but it will be forgotten entirely in 6 months hopefully.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Kace » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:30 am

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Keep us posted on proceedings with your insurance and how you manage to get sorted out.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks for the kind words and all the help lads! Have collected the car the other day from Gannons - to say that they are not afraid to charge would be an understatement, the total for recovery and storage came to €516.60 (€180 for towing and 6 x €40 for storage + VAT on top of that). If your car ever gets towed there move it ASAP, most insurance companies either don't pay for the storage or only pay for limited amount of days, also saw them moving the cars around with forklifts (including mine)...

I'll keep you all posted.

The picture I took at the scene was flattering - car looks worse then I remembered:

Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Are you able to lift the bonnet to see the extent of the damage beneath?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gazmcg89 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:05 pm

I would imagine from the top pic a leg has been shortened hopefully not but it looks quite far back
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Very similar to the damage done to the fto that rear ended mine.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:11 pm

I managed to get the bonnet open with some help. It was dark outside so the pictures I've taken are useless, I've yet to see it during daylight - will have to wait till the weekend, but by the looks of things everything on this image is damaged:

The highlighted parts on this one (possibly more - have to see it during daylight):

plus all the other bits like radiator etc.
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:36 pm

I didnt say anything as i thought Your car wasnt that badly damaged and it can be fixed easly but i see it quite bad :?

Ive whole shell here that i was plan to build something out of it this or next year, never been crashed and has no log book.....ive another 3 FTO's to keep me busy tho :lol:
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:36 am

If that was fixed, yours can be too. Very similar damage. Obviously a donor car will make the job much easier.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:19 am

I think Carls FTO havent had the drivers side that far in as the white one has its passenger side.
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:59 am

Nothing a few used parts can't sort. It will be possible to get a breaker for around €200 quid. I reckon the bumper can be repaired, but there is a facelift one at GVD Autos if one was needed. I would love to see it getting fixed. I hate seeing ftos getting the final goodbye.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:48 am

There has been a bit of development, I received a phone call from my insurance company on Friday saying that the third party is not disputing the claim, that they are accepting liability and that I should contact them directly (the third party was insured by Axa).

I called their claims department, they took my personal details and asked me to describe the accident in my own words. Few minutes later they called back asking me to bring the car keys and vehicle registration certificate to nearest AXA office, they appointed "Motor Salvage Ireland" from Enniscorthy (Co. Wexford) to carry out the assessment (they want to tow the car away).

I'm not really keen on the idea of the car being towed to Wexford (and then possibly back as I would love to keep the car), after I've seen the car to be handled with forklift in Gannons I would be wary that more damage will be done to the car during the process.

Is that a normal procedure for the cars to be towed away?
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Bernard » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:54 am

My wife was hit by a truck at a roundabout a few years back (luckily noone was hurt), the car was drivable so she came home.
When all was sorted the assessor came to our house to check it over.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Temeeo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:08 pm

Thanks Bernard - I'm thinking maybe they were looking to kill two birds with one stone.
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Next

Return to General FTO Discussion