Motor tax reform...

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Motor tax reform...

Postby ottostreet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:19 pm

No don't get excited (yet).

Basically, motor tax in this country has become a bit of a joke, rewarding those who can afford new cars, and punishing those who drive an older motor. And heaven forbid you have a big engined older motor!

I have set up a Facebook group here, and would like to see how strongly the various car forums feel about this. The more members we have, the better. I am aware a petition is floating around on some forums including Boards, where I saw this topic being addressed, until the thread was deleted.

I have put up a 'flat rate' proposal that was being bandied about, but would like to hear what you guys think...flat rates for cars on cc-based tax? or abolish motor tax and put a few cent on fuel, so the more you drive, the more tax you pay?

Also, if you are on other forums, could you spread this out, I'd like to see if a public media mass 'petition' could hold any sway.
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: Motor tax reform...

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 am

It would seriously simplify the system if the tax was just on fuel.

Example, I get an m3 and keep the Avensis for work.
Currently I pay 615 tax for the toyota, do 35000 miles a year and use the roads all day. Because its so efficent I don't use that much fuel.
If I drove the m3 at weekends I'd pay 1500 in tax, do 20 mpg but use very little fuel. The tax would kill this idea.

So that's 2100 tax for doing exactly the same mileage as I would be doing with one car.
It kills me that my other half can tax her less eficcent micra for a year for the same as I pay for 3 months.

If tax was on fuel people could have a few cars on a multi car policy and effectively pay per mile, the more fuel eficcent the car the less you pay in tax.

Everyone would have a performance car for the weekend, the country would be happier, and maybe the obsession with new reg numbers and resale values on cars that are engineered to do well on emissions cycles and not that eficcent in real life.
colm_mcm

Postby ottostreet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 am

Excellently written Colm, just realised I didn't include a link

the link is here

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_107313029348644&ap=1#!/home.php?sk=group_107313029348644
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby optical illusion » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Tax fuel. Simples.

Just joined there. You should update the page to offer taxed fuel, I'll add it on octane if you do.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ottostreet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:50 pm

OK, ill do that now.
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to Off Topic