gr or gpx

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

gr or gpx

Postby mark » Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:20 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me if there is a very significant difference between the GR model and the GPX? I know the GPX Mivec has variable-valve-timing,does this mean that its faster acceleration-wise? I'm thinking of buying one. Laymans terms please!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: gr or gpx

Postby Daz » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:53 pm

mark wrote:Hi, can anyone tell me if there is a very significant difference between the GR model and the GPX? I know the GPX Mivec has variable-valve-timing,does this mean that its faster acceleration-wise? I'm thinking of buying one. Laymans terms please!

Hiya mark,

Well there has been many a discussion on this one for a number of years on vairious sites, but in the end it boils down to personal choice, Yes the GPX and GPvR have the mivec, but in a quater mile test over the last number of years in Santa pod in England there has always been atleast 1 gr/gx in the top 3 and sometimes 2 in the top 5. so for a stright sprint to 60-70 mph there isn't much in it but its at the top end where the mivec shows its worth, Thing is thou the sound when the mivec kicks in is just soooo sweeeet :D :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Ivan E » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:19 pm

What I have seen in relation to this answer is that the GR is faster on take off but the GPX is faster at the higher speeds.

There's a few slight differences but if you aren't that pushed considering the state of the roads here and the penalty points etc etc, best thing to do is find the car you like must whether it be a GR or a GPX.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: gr or gpx

Postby soc » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:27 pm

mark wrote:Hi, can anyone tell me if there is a very significant difference between the GR model and the GPX? I know the GPX Mivec has variable-valve-timing,does this mean that its faster acceleration-wise? I'm thinking of buying one. Laymans terms please!

Biggest influence on performance is the type of gearbox - a manual GR will (usually) out pace a tip GPX but to 60 there aint a lot in it. I'd say the most important thing is to get a good car reagardless of whether it is a GR or GPX.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mark » Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:01 pm

Cheers guys, that was very helpful.
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Return to General FTO Discussion