Coffee machines

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Coffee machines

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 am

One for the amateur baristas:

I'm thinking about investing in a half decent coffee machine for home, any recommendations? In an ideal world, I would prefer a super-automatic machine which does the lot from bean to cup and has options around shot size etc, good ones tend to be pricey though (> €500). A Nespresso machine is also an option but I'm not gone on the idea of having to buy pods

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coffee machines

Postby Dilogoat86 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Nespresso makes good coffee and you can choose your flavour and strength as there's a large selection. Apart from that, a bean to cup self cleaning job is expensive.

Have a look here: http://besthomecoffeemaker.com/
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:16 pm

My main gripe with the Nespresso process is the cost over time in terms of buying the pods, I know they're individually cheap but work a lot more expensive than beans in the long run.

If money wasn't an object, I'd be looking at Jura / Gaggia units, realistically I'll be focusing in on the likes of DeLonghi or Siemens instead.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dilogoat86 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 pm

What kind of budget are you looking at. At the end of the day with something like a coffee machine you're going to be using it for a long time so an investment solution is probably best here.
http://home-garden.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=ESAM4200S&_sacat=20625&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_sop=2&_odkw=de%27longhi&_osacat=20625
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby gfalls » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 pm

Looking at some of those prices..... I think I'll stick to the good ol' t-bag.... :D
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Kace » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:10 pm

We spent about €200 a few years ago for a decent enough machine that takes both beans and pods - I think it's important not to tie yourself to pods.

We bought a Briel in the end as I saw a good review in Consumer Choice when we were buying. Not sure what's best out there now.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

Go on CJ take the plunge :!: You’ve had 2 and half years to think about it. :wink: Since that post, had you put away just €4 a week towards your coffee machine fund, you’d have the €500 by now for a super duper one. :smt003 Let me know anyway I'll bring the doughnuts.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 am

You've a good memory Mustang, I should have splashed the cash a few years back on worthless material items (i.e. flashy coffee machines) when everyone else was at it! I'm back on the hunt again after 2 years of manually grinding beans and tricking about with French coffee presses, I'm getting lazier as I get older it would seem....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:55 pm

CJ wrote:You've a good memory Mustang, I should have splashed the cash a few years back on worthless material items (i.e. flashy coffee machines) when everyone else was at it! I'm back on the hunt again after 2 years of manually grinding beans and tricking about with French coffee presses, I'm getting lazier as I get older it would seem....

CJ

Ok, here we are almost a year later. Did you take the plunge CJ? I'm toying with the idea of a purchase myself....
Ideally I'd like a Gaggia -I used one in a former life, Similar to this one and it seems to be the benchmark. €200 appears to be the entry level for a domestic unit, I'm not sure whether these are a good budget buy or wheather, you'd be better off moving further up market? Those bean to cup machines while simplifying the process do seem quite big, I think you'd need a fairly decent sized kitchen to accomodate one. Also they seem to make the whole process just a bit too easy...where's the ceremony and clean up? Like having a gas fire instead of a real fire -easy and clean but just not the same.... That said I think I'd be more likely to use a hassle free machine like that for an early morning shot on a work day. Time is a bit too precious first thing in the morning to be playing barista. :wink:
I've seen a Gaggia platinum on sale -but even at that I'm not sure I could justify the cost, or find space for it.... :?

I'm guessing you have researched these fairly extensively -did you come to any conclusions -do you have any nuggets of wisdom.

I see the Gaggia Irish distributor offers a free training course with every purchase....nice.

I have a very fundamental question, all these machines ae described as "espresso" machines and not the more generic "coffee" machine. What if you just want a simple Americano. When I used the big commercial machine linked above, You basically used the same coffee shot in all cases, the only real difference between espresso and americano was the amount of water that flowed through the filter. One button for espresso one button for americano.
Some of these samll domestic machine seem a bit too short to accomodate a full sized mug under the dispensing point.
Last edited by Mustang on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm obviously not the connoisseur you lads are but I've never liked the coffee from these machines.

Image Yer only man!
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:32 pm

With Mc Donalds coffee at 2 quid a go, those machines would pay for themselves in under a year :D

Not that you'd dring the stuff since they stopped doing decent Kenco and started using Full Bean (which isn't nearly as nice)
colm_mcm

Postby Mustang » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Bernard wrote:I'm obviously not the connoisseur you lads are but I've never liked the coffee from these machines.

Image Yer only man!

:smt078
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:35 pm

We have a Cuisinart grind and brew type yoke..
it works really well - but it doesn't heat the water a massive amount, the taste is something else tho.

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffe ... 900bc.html
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:We have a Cuisinart grind and brew type yoke..

I got one myself and then got rid of it due to noise (the grinder is loud!), the need to use a fair amount of beans to get the desired strength and I only really wanted one or two cups at a time. They're good for large volumes of coffee and the brew is certainly good.

In the end (and against my initial thoughts), I opted for a Magimix Citiz & Milk Nespresso machine - the espresso is exceptional, you have the option of using 'Lungo' capsules for a larger cup of coffee. The milk frother is the best I've come across on any coffee machine, I can't recommend this model highly enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Magim ... 856&sr=8-1

Nespresso isn't for everyone due to the cost of the capsules but the quality of the coffee produced is top class - I'm happy to pay a premium considering the results.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:but it doesn't heat the water a massive amount, the taste is something else tho.

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/coffe ... 900bc.html

I have a filter machine at home -it was a present. There is a thermal jug but no hot plate. The coffee produced is barely luke warm, so every cup needs to go into the microwave -have not used it in years.....

CJ wrote:Image

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Magim ... 856&sr=8-1

Nespresso isn't for everyone due to the cost of the capsules but the quality of the coffee produced is top class - I'm happy to pay a premium considering the results.

CJ

That is a tidy looking machine, and seems to be highly regarded. Does it have a hot plate or some means to preheat the cups? Does it matter?
Applying your own original logic I don't really want to go down the capsule route. I'm leaning towards a Gaggia platinum swing
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Mustang wrote:I have a filter machine at home -it was a present. There is a thermal jug but no hot plate. The coffee produced is barely luke warm, so every cup needs to go into the microwave -have not used it in years.....

Guys - an easy fix for this luke warm thing. Boil the kettle and put this into your coffee maker. Don't ever rely on existing heater in these things if you like decent heat in your bev.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Mustang wrote:I'm leaning towards a Gaggia platinum swing

Gaggia make class machines but a Platinum model is worth about the same as half an FTO. If cost was no object them I'd have one.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:10 pm

CJ wrote: but a Platinum model is worth about the same as half an FTO. If cost was no object them I'd have one.

CJ

:D You make it sound extravagant when you put it like that. But it's gotten to the stage where a weeks grocery shopping or a tank of petrol is a significant percentage of the FTO's current market value.... :cry:
Anyway I'm going for a demo tomorrow -so as a minimum I'll get a free espresso! :wink:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dilogoat86 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:58 pm

I know it was a year ago, but Nespresso really is a good machine. Buying in bulk is possible to make savings on the pobs and I think you can get them abroad even cheaper.
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:18 pm

If anybody here is into the classic filter coffee experience i spotted a pretty decent looking yoke in LIDL (!!?!) last night for 37e

Had timer, thermos all the bells and whistles for 40e.. I know some peeps are into their espressos and what not - this machine would clearly not fit those needs - but for someone, like myself, who just wants a decent LARGE BUCKET of black goodness to last them through the commute I'm pretty sure it would be damn near perfect.

Cheaper than a tank of petrol.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Mustang wrote:Anyway I'm going for a demo tomorrow -so as a minimum I'll get a free espresso! :wink:

I picked up the machine that day afterall -I've been away since, and only picked up some espresso cups during the week, so had very little time to get acquainted with the machine. It's been a bit of a trial and error experience but so far so good.
The choice of coffee beans in the supermarket is a bit limited though -and at ~€4.50 a bag for 227g (i.e. ~€20 per kg) they ain't cheap either....
Must see if there are any good online suppliers, looks like there's a few on Amazon at ~£10-£12 per kg. Can anyone recommend a supplier?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic