Rev limiter at 6000 revs

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Rev limiter at 6000 revs

Postby Ihumphreys » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:20 pm

HELP!
My FTO is limiting at 6000 revs in every gear. Somebody told me that the FTO has a 'cold' rev limiter at this point, but on my car it makes no difference whther the engine's cold or warm.
These problems only seem to have started to happen since I had the alternator reconditioned.
Could somebody please help.
Ihumphreys

Re: Rev limiter at 6000 revs

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:19 pm

Ihumphreys wrote:HELP!
My FTO is limiting at 6000 revs in every gear. Somebody told me that the FTO has a 'cold' rev limiter at this point, but on my car it makes no difference whther the engine's cold or warm.
These problems only seem to have started to happen since I had the alternator reconditioned.
Could somebody please help.

Your problem sounds like the cold start alright, but if it is a gpx it could be your mivec isn't working or somthing like the speed sender not working a mate had this on his crx the vtec is the same principle, his speedo cable broke not registering the speed so the vtec wouldn't activate, but what i would do is a ecu reset and check the fuses it could be as simple as that
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:42 pm

Sounds like your alternator is at fault, theres a safety mechanism that kicks in when the alternator isn't charging properly, it limits the engine RPM to 6k. Get the car back to the autoelectrician and have it checked out.
There is some wiring connecting the alternator and ECU, it may have come loose, but you would need to remove the wiring block to check this.

Let us know how you get on

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:37 pm

Ciaran is right, i have seen this on another site. The guy got his Alternator recon and the revs were limited. He brought it back and they fitted another ALt and the problem was solved.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical