Help with FTO battery

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Help with FTO battery

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon May 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi, might sound silly but where on an FTO is the negative connector on the battery. Usually my other cars would have it clearly labeled and also have insulated rubber to protect the engine from electricity, mine has neither. Just while I am not insured for the moment so want to wait till next month to get insurance and want to disconnect the negative cable.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Help with FTO battery

Postby goz_83 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 pm

The negative connector is the one nearest the headlights. You can put new connectors on. Get em in halfords for under a tenner
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 pm

If you're looking to make sure nothing is draining your battery while you have it off the road, you should disconnect the positive, not the negative.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm

sure if you disconnect the positive you would get electrocuted wouldn't you? or do you mean because it is a Jap battery things are different? I have disconnected the negative and tucked it down the side. Does anyone know if the battery would work with a normal charger, just got one from woodies, only 22 euro.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby Bernard » Mon May 07, 2012 10:02 pm

You need a trickle charger if you plan on leaving it plugged in for long periods.
I bought one for €60 in my local motor factors a while back, it will automatically cut out when the battery is full and back in when the power goes down a little.
If the one from Woodies does that I'm sure it would say so on the box.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon May 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Thank bernard, I ordered a trickle charger from ebay for a fiver still waiting on it to arrive. The one from woodies is a charger so dont think it has trickle features, my battery had a screw instead of a bolt, seems like the car had alot of DIY "it will do" attitude, you should have seen the state the Spoiler was in when I took it off today. One side had a screw and nut holding it in the other side had two nuts and one was rounded and they where located it the little holes where the normal spoilers clips are, so took a good hour to get off.
Chris_Heilong

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon May 07, 2012 10:21 pm

This is the charger for anyone interested and its actally only €20. Cheapest I have ever seen. I remember I got one 4 years ago from Halfords which cost €50 and never bloody worked.
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 pm

if the battery is old...its fooked. No amount of trickle charging can save it.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 am

I just had a look at the picture you posted of your battery.... there's a + and a - marked on it.
Not sure if you noticed.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue May 08, 2012 1:27 am

I was looking a the picture for ages, I finally saw the plus symbol :?
Well at least I know the negative has a yellow strip going down it also. Thanks for pointing that out Bernard, I was looking in all the wrong places.
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:34 am

Yep. Just where I said. Also, it's the positive you need to disconnect afaik. To be safe, it's good practice to to both.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue May 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:sure if you disconnect the positive you would get electrocuted wouldn't you?

??? If you disconnect the positive terminal then there is no power feeding your car to 'electrocute' you.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Kace wrote:
Chris_Heilong wrote:sure if you disconnect the positive you would get electrocuted wouldn't you?

??? If you disconnect the positive terminal then there is no power feeding your car to 'electrocute' you.

Then why is it red :shock:
Anyway, I always thought that the positive was live which it the reason you always disconnect the negative first and positive first when reconnecting.

I have followed your advice Kace and disconnected both, its only a 35 ah battery maybe I should look at an upgrade :D
Chris_Heilong

Postby Kace » Tue May 08, 2012 6:00 pm

35A is fine and is all an FTO needs. No need to upgrade unless you are planning to run significant ICE.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:14 pm

The power comes from the battery, so if nothing is touching the terminals, the chances of electrocution are more likely to come from your missus after you spend a fortune upgrading. Also....twas me that recommended you disconnect both as it is safest :)
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Indeed it was, I won't upgrade then. I tried to start the car before I removed the battery and it didn't start so it was then I decided to come on and look for advice on removing the battery, I know the alternators can act up but it should be the battery as it was lying unused with Gerry and I only drove it for the few hours it was insured. I know the battery is safe(except for acid) when not connected but am sure its a bad idea to touch the positive with both connectors on. Yeah I also removed the Veilside spoiler and as you said before Goz; there is a bit of work needed, I can just see me spending loads of money trying to get everything right :D
Goz where did you order your leatherette covers from? was it rice rocket?
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:21 pm

No it wasn't rice rocket. tbh, I would rather not promote them until I get my new covers delivered. They are supposed to be here before the end of the week.

I will have to have a look at the car. Its always good to see another fto. When do you plan to get it driving?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 pm

2 weeks time, you will be heading off to Spain soon right? I am bidding on some GX/GR break discs on ebay atm. trying to get bits and pieces, there are some nice car related deals coming up in Aldi this sunday. Electric car polisher €17.99 thank you very much.
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Yeah I have the Aldi polisher. Does the job. Although I think its the more expensive model i have. 40 quid i think. could be wrong.

Yeah i am heading to Spain soon.

What colour seats you thinking?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue May 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Something like these would be class Image.

Was thinking a black n white interior theme would look well but the wife likes red.

I also bought one of these badges for the front
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:28 pm

If you're interested, I can do you a pretty good deal on the blue/white ones I have. It would be as simple as swapping over the seats. They are only a couple of months installed. There are two small tears where the harnesses go, but I have brand new reinforced replacements in the shed I haven't fitted. I am getting all black, full leather ones from the supplier, so I won't be having the blue/white look, which of course would suit a white car any day. You're more than welcome to take a look. I would be willing to let them go for €100. That's a good deal less than half of what I paid for them and also had to throw the brother a few bob for installing them. They were a sweetener for the gr, which he is selling, but it looks like there could be a buyer this week anyway.

RED??? What is she thinking? Looks ok in a black car, but not in a white fto imho.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Your ever the businessman 8) , Gary. Alright, sounds good. Only problem would be us finding time to do the seat swap ;)
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:28 am

Yes, indeed I am :P The good news is that it only takes a few minutes to switch seats. My bro has done it a couple of times already. He can do a switch in a few minutes. I just want to make sure my leathers will arrive before I part with the seat trims. I will be ringing the supplier to check them today.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed May 09, 2012 9:13 am

Sure send me a PM when they arrive.
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Rang the supplier today. Trims not sent, but promises they will be sent tomorrow. Blaming the factory and embroidery delay. I will keep you posted but it looks like it'll be sorted real soon.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to FTO Technical