Not impressed with Quinn Direct

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Not impressed with Quinn Direct

Postby CJ » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:16 pm

I called Quinn Direct this morning to move my policy onto a friends car while my own is being repaired. All went fine initially, so myself and the mate head off down to Mayo to pick up the car. While we where on our way down, QD called me up and said they had made a mistake, apparently you can't move a policy over onto a car that is privately owned and is not registered in your name. The car in question isn't currently insured so I can't drive it with the third party extention option. I had taken the day off work and put myself and my mate out as a result of QD's sloppy service. I've never come across this before, and quite frankly, I've lost all respect for Quinn Direct as a motor insurer. My car will be off the road for 2 weeks and I'm carless unless I fork out the cash and rent a car :(

If anyone has a spare (insured) car knocking around that I could take a lend of for a week or two, give me a shout ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:38 pm

Tell quinn you own the car fill out a change of ownership form, and keep it after two weeks throw it away and in the mean time if you have an accident and need your insurance post it away , The postal system and change of owner ship system is sooo slow no one would ever know

Obviously im not suggesting you do something immoral like that :wink:
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:24 pm

or illegal :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dean » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:55 pm

Speedyboy wrote:Tell quinn you own the car fill out a change of ownership form, and keep it after two weeks throw it away and in the mean time if you have an accident and need your insurance post it away , The postal system and change of owner ship system is sooo slow no one would ever know

Obviously im not suggesting you do something immoral like that :wink:

Hehe careful Speedy, Daves in insurance you know. :lol:
Dean

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:09 pm

well i work for a brokers, don't deal with it personally.... :)
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:55 am

I don't understand what they are talking about. Tell them itis a garage car and you need it while your own is being repaired. I have never had any problems with changing over insurance on any car.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:02 am

just reading the above, there shouldn't be a problem with changing over to a privately owned car that's not registered in your name once it's insured!
if it's not insured then they won't do it, and there wouldn't be a problem in switching it over to a "garage's" car because that's covered under the garages policy.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:45 pm

Rory wrote:I don't understand what they are talking about. Tell them itis a garage car and you need it while your own is being repaired. I have never had any problems with changing over insurance on any car.

They want garage particulars and all that type of thing, too damn messy.

Dave wrote:just reading the above, there shouldn't be a problem with changing over to a privately owned car that's not registered in your name once it's insured!
if it's not insured then they won't do it, and there wouldn't be a problem in switching it over to a "garage's" car because that's covered under the garages policy.

The car I was moving to is not insured, thats why I wanted move my policy over to it temporarily! Otherwise I would have just driven it with third party extention. The thing I can't understand is why they won't transfer my insurance over onto a privately owned car thats not registered to me, I asked 3 people at the company and they couldn't exlpain their own policy!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:29 pm

Basically, what i think anyways. they would cover you if the car itself was insured by it's owner. no insurance company or very few would insure someone on a car that is not owned by the policy holder.
so seeing that whoever owns the car hasn't had any insurance on it, they won't cover it. :? :
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:13 pm

I have changed insurance over to other cars several times without changing ownership (tempòrary change to policy).
What type of car is it Ciaran (Nothing too powerful I presume). I have never heard of this before and I have been with several different insurers.

I often transport cars for a friend by transferinfg my policy over to their car.
And around here if you take out a garage car you have to transfer your own insurance onto it for the duration you are driving it. Garage owners will not risk their own insurance.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:03 pm

i just said it to one of the girls in here and she says that Quinn will not do a transfer to a private car policy, only a car owned by a garage.
and you can't actually transfer insurance onto someone elses car if it's insured, you basically are an additional driver on the other persons policy. either that or the car would have dual insurance and they wouldn't do that.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:30 pm

steelroe wrote:I have changed insurance over to other cars several times without changing ownership (tempòrary change to policy).
What type of car is it Ciaran (Nothing too powerful I presume). I have never heard of this before and I have been with several different insurers..

Its a 1.4L Astra, nothing to do with power ;) From what I gather this is specific to Quinn Direct. I've moved insurance temporarily under two different insurers in the past, I'm just annoyed that QD have this policy which they don't seem clear about in the policy documentation. Next year, I'll happily pay a few quid extra to another company who can offer this flexibility....

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General FTO Discussion