Ignition failure sensor

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Ignition failure sensor

Postby Nailer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:15 am

Wondering can anyone help me out,

trying to sort my rev counter problem, have identifyed the ignition failure sensor as the likely problem but changed it for one today from steelroe and its still not working, im wondering is the replacment faulty i suspect it is

Anyway heres what im asking, for sombody to go out to thier car ( with a working rev counter lol ) and test the resistance between two pins on the right of the sensor ( there are 4 as you know its the pair on the right looking into the engine bay standing at the front bumper were after ) according to a mitsubishi eclipse webside the resistance should be .1 ohms or less any more then that and the sensors faulty, the one i have in the car is reading at .3 ohms and the one i got from steelroe is reading at .4 ohms i dont know if the same applies to the fto thats why im looking for a reading from a definately healthy sensor

I'd be very very greatfull if anyone could do this while bored on thier day off tomorrow while some of us work to pay for petrol lol

Thanks guys!!
Nailer
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby kevinod » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:36 pm

Just saw this... if I think of it I'll give it a go tomorrow, where is the ignition sensor at?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Nailer » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:43 am

Sorry for the shockingly bad pic lol thanks

Nailer
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby steelroe » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:07 am

The IFS I sent you is was working fine I checked it before I sent it. If it is found to be faulty I will replace it no problem.

I had this problem with a GPX recently and the IFS did not sort it out. I then replaced the REV/SPEEDO unit and now works perfect. Another thing to remember is if you replace the gauge unit the milage on the car will change to what ever milage was on the car the new gauge came from.
I know tihs because the car I repaired went from 148K to 50K with the new unit fitted.

From the repair manuals the IFS can be tested as follows.

Check for continiuity between pins 1+2, and resistance should be 0.1ohm or less. You need an analogue ohmeter though.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:11 am

forgot to ask is the problem intermittent or has the rev counter stopped working. Wonder is the wiring fully intact.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:41 am

Sorry, forgot to check that yesterday, having probs with my camber after fitting the new shocks, think I've sussed where I messed up now though.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Nailer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:56 pm

steelroe wrote:The IFS I sent you is was working fine I checked it before I sent it. If it is found to be faulty I will replace it no problem.

I had this problem with a GPX recently and the IFS did not sort it out. I then replaced the REV/SPEEDO unit and now works perfect. Another thing to remember is if you replace the gauge unit the milage on the car will change to what ever milage was on the car the new gauge came from.
I know tihs because the car I repaired went from 148K to 50K with the new unit fitted.

From the repair manuals the IFS can be tested as follows.

Check for continiuity between pins 1+2, and resistance should be 0.1ohm or less. You need an analogue ohmeter though.

cheers steelroe ill get back to you about the other stuff this week aswell
Nailer
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Nailer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:01 am

bit of an update, tested the voltage going to the clocks and its only 0.8 of a volt at idle and this goes up to the likes of .11 when reving. On ftooc.org it says there should be .5v @ idle if not the sensors bunched.

Any advice? i dont want to get steelroe to go to the trouble of sending up another one if its not the problemo :)
Nailer
Speed freak
Speed freak

Return to FTO Technical