Four wheel alignment

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Four wheel alignment

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:02 pm

After recently changing to a set of Michelin Eagle F1s (good man Keville ;) ), I decided to get a computerised four wheel alignment check done. The rear Toe and Camber were way out, this was being manisfested in uneven tyre wear on the offside rear. The front Toe was slightly off so this was reset. The handling is now a lot more responsive, especially when cornering. The combination of proper aligment, Eagle F1s and front and rear strut braces makes a massive difference to the overall handling of the car, its cornering like a go kart!

For the alignment, I want to Advance Pitstop in Finglas, they didn't have the FTO in their database so I got them to enter the settings off the FTOOC site into their system. It cost €75 and was well worth the money.

On the topic of Eagle F1s. I found a place in Blanchardstown that do them for €120 a corner which includes fitting and balancing. I would have to say that they are the best tyre I've ever driven on, both in wet and dry conditions.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby daniel » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:07 pm

have to say i have just put 2 goodyear eagle f1's on the front and they are the business, super handleing in the wet, goign to change over the back set asap
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Daz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:02 pm

Nah i still swear by the Toyo Proxes T1s they are the mutts nutts of tyres, there expensive but worth every penny.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:08 am

Daz wrote:Nah i still swear by the Toyo Proxes T1s they are the mutts nutts of tyres, there expensive but worth every penny.

Thing is, the Eagle F1s are generally more expensive the the Proxes T1s, I could have got a set of the latter for €107 a corner. From what I've heard from people over the past couples of years, the T1's and the F1's are pretty close in terms of performance....

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:19 am

CJ wrote:
Thing is, the Eagle F1s are generally more expensive the the Proxes T1s, I could have got a set of the latter for €107 a corner. From what I've heard from people over the past couples of years, the T1's and the F1's are pretty close in terms of performance....

Ciaran

Yea there meant to be about the same, but i just as a personal choice would go for the proxes. E107 a corner i can't remember when i last paid that for a tyre must be a couple of years now :(
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby JD » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:09 pm

Yeah, I agree - put a set of Eagle F1's all round last month @ 127 each (got them in fastfit or quikfit in the OMNI) , but I have to say they are the business - and the thread looks great as well.
JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:36 am

don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but seeing that we're talking about tyres, i've to get a new set of 225/40/18's,i had 215/35/18's and the thread on the front isn't the may west. what is the life expectancey of a normal tyre doing say 15000+ miles a year and not driving them that hard? i'm using federal at the moment, came with the alloys but looking at getting a decent set this time round!
cheers
dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:53 pm

Dave wrote:don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but seeing that we're talking about tyres, i've to get a new set of 225/40/18's,i had 215/35/18's and the thread on the front isn't the may west. what is the life expectancey of a normal tyre doing say 15000+ miles a year and not driving them that hard?

I have heard good longeivity reports on both T1S's and F1's. At a guess you should get approx 2 years out of the above before you need to change, if you're suspension geometry is out, this could be a lot sooner. Daz does a lot of milage on his Toyos so he can probably speak for them and I know he will ;) Either way, if you want exceptional handling, make sure you use either the Toyos or the Michelins, they are both rock solid. If you want to get tyres on the cheap, consider Kumho Ecsta's, I had 'em before the Eagle F1's and they're v. good value for money when you consider the handling properties. That said, never skimp on tyres, whats the point of throwing a load of cash at your car and then sticking on a set of crap rubber that will end you up in the ditch? This is applies to anyone who enjoys a 'spirited' drive every now and then ;)

This post from the FTOOC forum is worth taking a look at.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:27 pm

CJ wrote:Daz does a lot of milage on his Toyos so he can probably speak for them and I know he will ;) Either way, Ciaran

Cheeky :wink:

Ok your right i will defend the toyos to the death :P :P

On a serious note Dave i'm running 18's aswell i use toyo proxes T1s and i do 35,000 miles not klm a year i'm running 215/35/18 on front and 235/40/18 on the rear now the rear tyres have done about 55,000 miles on them and there is still plenty left (yes the FTO or mine anyway is very good on the rear tyre wear) now during the 55,000 miles i'm on my second set of fronts and will be needing to change them again soon so i avarage about 28,000 miles on a front set, just as well for the price of them, Thou my next set i'll be changing hopefully if i can get them from 215/35/18 to 225/35/18 just for that added rim potection.

Hope this helps ya
Daz

Return to General FTO Discussion