My track day

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

My track day

Postby TopCat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 pm

Just thought I’d give a little write up after my first ever track day and share the experience.

I have to say the night before I was giddy as a child at Christmas, and quite nervous. Something I’ve been meaning to do for a while, but wasn’t quite sure what to expect.

Arrived at the track nice and early, signed in, and shortly after 10, they let all the newbies out on track with the pace car for a few laps to get to know the place. I was lucky enough to have my own personal guide in the passenger seat, Laura was great and showed me the lines. It’s not like I had them nailed even by the end of the day, but it was a huge advantage to be shown them from the start. Even after a couple of laps, I was starting (well, just about starting) to push a little more and test the grip. The car started feeling a little unsettled in a way I wasn’t used too, and found out why later.

Came in then and when out with Laura for a few laps. One lap to let the car warmed up and then she really started pushing the car in to the corners, and I have to say I was genuinely impressed! Obviously she knew the track better than I did, but she was up to pace right away, and had way more confidence in the FTO than I had in the S2k. Never seen an FTO pushed so hard, and it was great to see what it could do. Oh, and at some stage (or two) the GT3 RS passed us. Now there were quick cars on track, but that thing is in a whole other league!

Was raining the next time I got out again, but started getting to know the track a bit better. The limits of grip were reached much quicker in the wet and on a much more regular basis, but I gradually started to get the feel for it. And then I spun! Didn’t even come off the tarmac, so just turned her right and got going again. A few laps later… “I’ll just do one more lap”, and 5 seconds later I was a passenger as my car went through 180 at Dunlop. Newbie spinning right in front of everyone, great stuff. Could only laugh as I went sheepishly down the straight in front of the pits.

The next run out (again in the rain, I missed any bit of a dry track time there was), and the cause of my spins (in part at least) was revealed. As I braked hard into some corner, I dropped the gear and the car twitched as I let up the clutch. I wasn’t matching the revs on the downshift and the back was locking up. I’d heard of this heal-toe craic and started giving it a go. I’m sure I was clumsy as hell, but it seemed to help a huge amount.

Some chat during the lunch also reveal what might have caused the unsettled feelings I was getting from the car earlier in the day. I was advised to check the type pressures as they obviously increase with heat, and might be a reason the problem showed after a few laps. After lunch the tyres had cooled a bit, but were still up to 34 psi, so I dropped them a good bit, and it made a noticeable difference.

Even though it was still wet in the evening, I kept getting to know the track better and gaining confidence. Even managed to pass a couple of cars toward the end, so was happy out. There was definitely 2 ways you could have gone at this, try and keep it tidy and go as fast as you dare, or go easier and have a bit of RWD fun. Being my first day, I didn’t want to risk messing around and so went for the first option.

The car, well, I got to know it a lot better and realised what the car is really designed for. I don’t think I pushed the car to its limit, as much as I did try (I must have spun 7-8 times), it was only my own limit of skill that was pushed, and exceeded at times. I think we all like to think we are at least decent drivers, but you really find out how close your limits are when out on track, especially in the rain. It’s MUCH harder than I would have guessed, but the car is also capable of much more than I thought. I can’t compare the brakes to the way they were before I upgraded them, as I never pushed them to the limit as much before, but on the day, they provided serious stopping power, very happy!

Got a few other passenger laps too, a Honda Accord Touring (yes), an Elise, an Exige, and a race ready Rover 25, but that one that stood out was the Elise on the dry track. You hear about the cornering of the things, but you just really have to experience one, it was unbelievable. I will own one someday!

The wet conditions definitely made it gentler on the tyres and brakes, but the car took it all in its stride. Covered about 100km on track, and I think I averaged about 15mpg. Cost a little bit getting the car ready for the day with tyres (which it needed anyway), brakes and getting a helmet, but that’s all there now for the next track day, and yes, I think I will be back.

Overall, a highly recommended day’s fun.

Thanks again to Laura for the invite.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: My track day

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:30 pm

Nice write-up Tom.
Would be great if we could get a few cars together for a trackday - maybe in conjunction with one of the other clubs (SXOC / Octane /DTD etc).
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Agreed, that was the one thing that was missing. The Octaners were really sound, but it really would have been great to have a few more people from this site there. And it's not like you need to have a track set up car at all, the spin in the standard Accord was great fun!
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:43 pm

I can look into this, but not going to bother if there is going to be zero interest...

EDIT: Feck that, just sign up to octane if you are genuinely interested or go to the next trackday.ie one.
Last edited by optical illusion on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Glad you had a good day Tom, just wait till you get out with me in the dry, I was only at 40% that day, car was way to ar$e happy. :D Car can take serious abuse in the dry. Really can't understand how everyone thought that day I was driving well, I was disgusted with the spinning.

I spun 6 times but at the end with advice from a friend I had overridden the fear of slamming on the brakes and instead deployed a dab of throttle and oppo, and while there was a lot of fishtailing there was no spinning anymore :)

Lots of lesson learned that day.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:03 pm

optical illusion wrote:I can look into this, but not going to bother if there is going to be zero interest...

EDIT: Feck that, just sign up to octane if you are genuinely interested or go to the next trackday.ie one.

Nevermind - I'm looking into it myself and will advise other members on here to see if theres any interest.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:... I'm looking into it myself and will advise other members on here to see if theres any interest.

Just further to this guys - I'm doing a trackday on the Mondello National circuit on 26th Sept. It'll be for a full day running in between the time attack car sessions. Cost of €130 for the day and you get to see the time attack races.

If anyone is interested let me know asap and I can give more details.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:45 pm

Not gonna make this with the Mayo meet on the same weekend. Not sure I would've brought my car out, but given that its over the road from me now, I would've headed over and see if I could get a few passenger laps. Just a pity about the timing.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:15 pm

TopCat wrote:Not gonna make this with the Mayo meet on the same weekend. Not sure I would've brought my car out, but given that its over the road from me now, I would've headed over and see if I could get a few passenger laps. Just a pity about the timing.

Yep - its a pity its clashing but I wouldn't have been able to make an overnight for the Mayo meet as we've got two very young kids. And Mondello is an itch I have to scratch. :roll:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic