Go west?

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Go west?

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:04 pm

What are folks opinion on all this hype in the media about trying to motivate Dubs to move to the west? Now its fair to say that the boys from the west don't want a load of Dubs on their patch robbing their cars and their woman etc, that I can understand. Joking aside, if you're on the east coast, would you consider the move? What to the lads on the west coast think of this initiative, is there enough employment to support an influx into the west counties? I've a passing interest in the idea myself but I don't know if I could survive without being stuck in traffic on a daily basis :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:31 pm

What are folks opinion on all this hype in the media about trying to motivate Dubs to move to the west?

Well there is no denying that the government has an alterior motive behind this -Dublin is perceived to be over crowded -it's not really they just can't manage the traffic. And it doesn't look like it's going to improve anytime soon. Plus theres the demand on other infrastructure, electricity, water, social services, etc
That said you can't deny simple facts and economics of a move. Sell your house and buy a bigger more comfy one + still have bags of cash left over! and the simple life living off the land :wink:
I quite like Dublin and the deadly buzz around the city but economics aside I could never see myself living there full time, mainly because I don't have the patience for the traffic/parking.

Now its fair to say that the boys from the west don't want a load of Dubs on their patch robbing their cars and their woman etc, that I can understand

With the recent influx of Nigerians, Poles (spelling), Lithuanians, and other nationalities, I think that people have become a bit more accustomed (if not always tolerant) to a more diverse society. The least of their worries would be a few dubs moving to the sticks IMO.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Go west?

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:44 pm

CJ wrote: What to the lads on the west coast think of this initiative, is there enough employment to support an influx into the west counties? I've a passing interest in the idea myself but I don't know if I could survive without being stuck in traffic on a daily basis :) CJ

I worked in Dublin and London for several years before moving back to Clare and its great to be back - the closest you get to a traffic jam in Clare is when you have to pass out a tractor or some Oul Wan doing 25 in a 60 Zone.

Quality of life is far higher and the cost of living a fair bit lower.
Heaps of jobs round the Mid - West if you ask me and I should know :wink:
Get a life - GO West young man - Go West! :D
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:59 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Get a life - GO West young man - Go West! :D

You're starting to sound like that quare fella out of the Pet Shop Boys MfFTO ;)

While we're on the subject, how do salaries compare in comparison to bleedin' Dublin? Assuming that salary scales are set lower for the majority of industries, would the lower cost of living ofset this to a large degree?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:20 pm

CJ wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote:Get a life - GO West young man - Go West! :D

You're starting to sound like that quare fella out of the Pet Shop Boys MfFTO ;)

While we're on the subject, how do salaries compare in comparison to bleedin' Dublin? Assuming that salary scales are set lower for the majority of industries, would the lower cost of living ofset this to a large degree?

CJ

Plenty of multinationals down this side of the country - little or no differences in salary IMHO.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:21 pm

Prob comes down to your own priorities I'd be thinking...

Dublin has its plus points methinks:
- a lot more easily accessible services for one,
- most big gigs, concerts, shows, matches, etc. are in Dublin,
- a lot more jobs, ok there's jobs in the west too but a lot more in Dublin, easier to change, easier to pick up a new job if it comes to it. My manager, from Charleville area, commutes to Cork every day!!
- loads of flights/etc., you can get around through Shannon too but nothing like the kinds of destinations directly from Dublin. Most of my trips start off going Cork to Dublin, hanging around for a few hours and then continuing on.

I can't talk about the west 'cos I don't know anymore than anyone else about it, and probably less than most! :wink: But why the west over the south, or the midlands?

*opens can of worms and runs* :lol:
Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:20 am

Some good points there Kev, its easy to take ease of access to services for granted and the grass is always greener on the other site after all!

Look West (heard the radio ad on the way in this morning ;)) => http://www.lookwest.ie/

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:51 am

If you live somewhere like Clare you have easy access to Limerick, Ennis or Galway - all have good services. Good choice of Flights from Shannon and very easy access to airport - no traffic - great scenery - good value housing in scenic locations and a large proportion of very well paid roles in the many multinational companies in Shannon and Limerick.

I came home out of London and Dublin to get back to my diving of the West coast, playing rugby and hurling and going down to the local where you know absolutely everybody.

In Dublin and London everywhere you go you have to put your hand in your pocket - Money that I can spend on the FTO in Clare :wink:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Helen » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:11 pm

Okay here is my view. The west is Great. we def have traffic jams up here while they are building the sligo by-pass which will be a great thing. For the likes of gigs ect all been in dublin to us that is even more and excuse to go to them coz it will be a weekend away :D . Jobs wise there is loads i'm sure if you look in the right places.
Knock airport are offering alot more flights this year than before. and if it is a case ya can even fly to dublin to get the connecting flight.
Social life is great, :) great cosy atmosphere when you know everyone in the pub. Great for late night drinks. And loads fo girls looking for different men i'm sure. :o
i could go on all day but ya get the idea. I would say go for it if. Everything is worth a try once!!
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to Off Topic