Key stuck in ignition - tiptronic gearbox

FTO tips and tricks

Moderator: Moderators

Key stuck in ignition - tiptronic gearbox

Postby zinedan » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:44 am

my keys seem to be stuck in the ignition and no matter what i do it doesnt come out.I`ve even tried shifting the tip box to n-r-d and p but to no avail.Is this a new problem???any solutions-need one fast b4 it gets robbed
zinedan
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby CJ » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:55 am

Common one this, from mivec.co.uk:

Q. My ignition key is stuck in the ignition barrel in my automatic FTO!
A. There is a cable running from the gearlever to the ignition barrel which allows the key to be removed only in the 'Park' mode. It could be the case that the cable has jumped out of the guides or even that one of the guides has broken. You'll need to take off as much of the plastic covers as you can to see what you're doing.

The plastic covers referred to above comprise the surround on the top of the steering colunm, there are 3 or 4 screws that you'll need to take out to get at the cable.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:10 pm

CJ wrote:Common one this, from mivec.co.uk:

Q. My ignition key is stuck in the ignition barrel in my automatic FTO!
A. There is a cable running from the gearlever to the ignition barrel which allows the key to be removed only in the 'Park' mode. It could be the case that the cable has jumped out of the guides or even that one of the guides has broken. You'll need to take off as much of the plastic covers as you can to see what you're doing.

The plastic covers referred to above comprise the surround on the top of the steering colunm, there are 3 or 4 screws that you'll need to take out to get at the cable.

Ciaran

Freaky problem only happened to me the other day, i call up an owner in england as i was nowhere near a pc. The cure is to remove the white cable at the ignition but this then will allow the key to be taken out in any position
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby zinedan » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:41 pm

brought d car to a garage and he fiddled with the gear box,after40 mins the problem was solved altghough he had no idea what the cause was.he tested it a couple of times b4 i drove off again but when i went home the key was stuck urrrrrrrrrrr......gonna ask him to remove that white cable as u diagnosed,dont want to get that problem again.hope it works-let u know 2morrow ....sigh!!!!!!
zinedan
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Daz » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:12 am

zinedan wrote:brought d car to a garage and he fiddled with the gear box,after40 mins the problem was solved altghough he had no idea what the cause was.he tested it a couple of times b4 i drove off again but when i went home the key was stuck urrrrrrrrrrr......gonna ask him to remove that white cable as u diagnosed,dont want to get that problem again.hope it works-let u know 2morrow ....sigh!!!!!!

Just to be on the safe side check that yours is the white cable also do this by removing the surround (the whole surround that goes around the stereo aswell) and take a look underneeth the tip stick housing and see that there is a white cable there also, it should be, but you know yourself someone on minimum wage put thousands of these together and might not always use the same coloured wire, :)

hope this helps
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby zinedan » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:40 pm

went back to the garage and asked him to cut the white cable-he was unable to see any white cable(????????)instead hetook out a small piece of plasic right under the steering wheel and the problem was solved.All in all it took less than 10mins.Gave the chap 5euros for his trouble-he could have charged me 50-60 for labour,so bless his good soul!!!
zinedan
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Daz » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:53 pm

zinedan wrote:went back to the garage and asked him to cut the white cable-he was unable to see any white cable(????????)instead hetook out a small piece of plasic right under the steering wheel and the problem was solved.All in all it took less than 10mins.Gave the chap 5euros for his trouble-he could have charged me 50-60 for labour,so bless his good soul!!!

Well at least it is sorted. thats the main thing :)
Daz

Re: Key stuck in ignition - tiptronic gearbox

Postby fergal1980 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:05 am

my key has done the same and my car started but know its not starting either once in a blue moon she might start no lights on the dash come on but the warning light for my door being open ?????? any ideas
fergal1980
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to FTO Knowledgebase