Sunroof good - Emissions bad!

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Sunroof good - Emissions bad!

Postby Uncle B » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 am

Hi guys,

Had the NCT on Saturday last. As some of ye know it involved a last minute dash to Cork for a Sunroof on the Saturday morning.
By the time I got back up I only had a few minutes to give the car a quick tidy and wash before gunning it to the NCT centre.

It fell down on emissions - they were high across the board, this was with the cat installed (Exact same one as last NCT)
I'm putting it down to lack of use - hasnt been driven properly in over a year and was only driven for 30-40 mins day of NCT.
I only put 10er of petrol into it too so I'm guessing the old stuff was probably still there in relatively high concentration.
Didn't use any fuel treatment either - have done now.
There's a place that can do an emissions test for small money so I'm going to give it a few fills with RedX and run it hard for a while and get it checked.

I don't see any other reason as to why the emissions would be higher? Unless when the PS belt snapped it pulled off a sensor too?

Was fine apart from that though so I'm relatively happy I suppose. Good excuse to rag it a bit over xmas :-)
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Sunroof good - Emissions bad!

Postby brccrx » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Can U post emissions figures please.

Also It could be the case that the lambda sensor gave up.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Uncle B » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Hey Seb,

They were high!
I'll check the exact figures later but I think the CO was 6.02% or something crazy - it was high across the board though.

Paul
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Thats too high for just the sake of it being left with old fuel in it, lying up.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:59 am

You reckon it's the lambda sensor so? I suppose it could have just given up the ghost after years of use?
Hopefully it's not the CAT but like I said it wasn't used since the last one and was stored indoors.
I'll get the exact figures later and post them up.

Thanks

EDIT: After a bit of googling I think it's definitely worth changing the Lambda sensor. Was looking at your NCT thread too Gary, did you get sorted yet? I think a cheapo one like Kace suggested might do the trick?
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Uncle B wrote:You reckon it's the lambda sensor so? I suppose it could have just given up the ghost after years of use?
Hopefully it's not the CAT but like I said it wasn't used since the last one and was stored indoors.
I'll get the exact figures later and post them up.

Thanks

EDIT: After a bit of googling I think it's definitely worth changing the Lambda sensor. Was looking at your NCT thread too Gary, did you get sorted yet? I think a cheapo one like Kace suggested might do the trick?

My emissions got sorted. Inhave yet to rebook nct, because i need the wheel studs and nuts sorted.

Seb has another Lambda. I think it's better to have an OE lambda, because they last longer and there are lots of different types. There is no such thing as a universal lambda. Even if yiu get the right number and colour wiring, the sensors have several types of heads for different types of vehicles. A second hand one should do the trick.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:19 pm

What was the issue in the end Gary?
I'll send Seb a PM re: the lambda, thanks for the tip.

Paul
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Lambda needed a good clean out
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:57 am

Gary i think the first place U left Your Blueberry ( :mrgreen: ) have not connect the lambda sensor at all, has to be that as it was working in my R for years, it got perfect emissions figures on the test, till it was removed and fitted to Yours then it needed a good clean?
That would be strange at least because for the past numbers of years it was fine.

Lucky there some decent mechanic out there that got sort out the problem so You shouldnt have any problems in passing the emission test.

You completely right about the lambda sensors being different heads, but im not sure what the difference in them as they all (well most of em) zirconia based.
Must be the quality of em as the way they measure the oxygen presence would be the same, i would still follow Your advice and try to get genuine second hand that is sure is 100% working fine.

Paul, ive lambda with fresh NCT print out but i wont be able to go at it to remove it for a few days more, when is Your NCT next?
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:26 pm

As long as its working properly, i dont care if Paul connected a human heart to it to get it working properly. The readings were much better when he tested them, plus it needed track rod ends replaced.

I read up alot on "universal lambda" and there really is no such thing. The number of wires must be the same of course, but also there is something to do with the head shape that affects the strength and they are used for different cars. I cant find the article now, but unless you're getting a coded bosch lambda, or nkg, or good brand, coded to suit the car, you can end up doing damage to the cat, or worse.

Anyway, i hope mine passes next time. Will be getting studs and nuts sorted tomorrow with Paul.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:17 pm

brccrx wrote:Paul, ive lambda with fresh NCT print out but i wont be able to go at it to remove it for a few days more, when is Your NCT next?

I haven't booked the retest yet so there's no huge rush on it Seb. Last day for it is end of January so I'm going to try and book it for then.
Send me a PM with the price/bank account details and I'll send you my address if that's OK?

Thanks,
Paul
Uncle B

Postby Kace » Thu May 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Anyone got another spare Lamda sensor lying around ? Epic failures on my emissions at NCT today.

Low idle and High idle values were the same for CO (4.85% with fail at 0.5%), HC (937ppm with fail above 0 at low idle).

When this happened to me before it was the Lambda - it's likely to be the same again.

UncleB - what was your issue, given that both of us have had the cars laid up for a period of time.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT