Importing from the UK - things to check

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Importing from the UK - things to check

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 am

I'm in the process of adding to the driveway - as such I was doing some more research into the matter.
Last time I essentially just went and bought a car - it was cheap enough and it wasn't going on Irish plates, so who cares.. this time thought there's a little bit more money and time involved and the car IS going on ROI plates.. so

I found this rather lovely writeup over on www.vectra-c.com
Here's the direct link: http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92322

write up is done by Vaux-Man-G - I wont even attempt to take credit for it :)

I have just had a close shave with a car I was looking at buying and some of the checks I do before buying came up trumps and saved me a lot of aggro!

I have spent a bit of time doing an "as brief as possible" write up of some pre-purchase checks that are vital.

It has saved me problem no end in the past and present and works a treat.

Also very easy to use for the computer illiterate person.

In my opinion, these are some crucial "Before you buy, vital checks".

I think its worth everyone storing these links, and I usually do them in this order:
------------------------------------------------
Autotrader Quick Vehicle Check.
Link: http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/vehicleche ... echeck.jsp
Cost: Free

What will this tell you?
You will need the registration number, this will then tell you if the vehicle you are looking at actually match's with what it should be. E.g, its not running on false plates, etc.
DVLA Vehicle Enquiries, online.
Link: http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp, Click on VEHICLE ENQUIRY ON THE LEFT and then on the next page, press NEXT, you will need the Reg Number and Vehicle Make only at this stage. Type these details in and hit NEXT.

What will this tell you?
If the vehicle has Road Tax, when it is due, if is declared SORN? The registration date. Fuel Type. Engine Size. Colour. Road Tax prices.
DVLA Enquiries, telephone
T: 0870 240 0010.
Cost: Free, or the cost of the phone call.

What will this tell you?
Ask them if the vehicle has any police interest, and if you have a suspicion before viewing about accident damage, ask them if it has had a VIC check or if it needs one. THIS WILL NOT tell you if its been a Cat-D, that the HPI Report, this is only to confirm VIC data and police interest.
If you are still interested in the vehicle you have seen then proceed to the following:
RAC Vehicle Check, basically a full HPI Check for £9.99, you will need the registration number.
Link: https://www.raccheck.com/consumer/?sour ... date=false or http://www.rac.co.uk/vehicle-checks/car-data-check/ (with this link you can select to buy one check for £9.99 or 3 checks for £19.99).
Cost: £9.99.

What will this tell you?
Its a full HPI Report. ID, theft, accident damage, category, outstanding finance, reg plate changes (inc private plates) and everything a HPI report should tell you.
Then, IF you can obtain the Document Ref Number from the V5 Log Book or the MOT test number from VT20 MOT Test Certificate, AND have the registration number:
Link: http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ ... equest.jsp

What will this tell you?
This will trawl back through all the MOT's that vehicle has had and will give you details of the date of check, pass or fail, the mileage at the time of the checks and test station details.

Insurance database
Link: http://www.askmid.com/askmid.aspx
What will this tell you?
It allows you to see if a car is insured or not.

Hope this post is helpful to everyone and saves you a lot of aggro!

Happy trading!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Re: Importing from the UK - things to check

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:21 am

Update!!

For those of us without UK postcodes this can come in handy when doing HPI/RAC checks.

Unfortunately you cannot process a report on-line if you do not have a valid UK postcode, as this is a mandatory field required for validating the credit card payment. If you do not possess a valid postcode you can complete a check by calling us direct on 01722 422422 for a HPI Check at £24.99, or call 0800 975 5867 for an RAC Check at £19.99. Please explain to the agent that you do not have a postcode. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday - 8am to 8pm, Saturday - 8am to 5pm, Sunday - 10am to 5pm. The checks are very similar, but there is a difference in the terms and conditions, so please ask the agent to explain further.

Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:16 pm

Nice link, always handy to know!!

So.............what are you getting?? :)
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

Dave wrote:Nice link, always handy to know!!

Dont worry It'll pop up in the other cars section...

Not as exciting as one might hope.. but it'll be handy enough..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:13 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:
Dave wrote:Nice link, always handy to know!!

Dont worry It'll pop up in the other cars section...

Not as exciting as one might hope.. but it'll be handy enough..

I think you've already given the game away in your first paragraph above? :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:57 pm

the lad driving a diesel Avensis wrote:A Vectra. Oh dear.
colm_mcm

Postby soc » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:43 am

Interesting post - coincidentally I've also started down this process. TT is provisionally sold to my bro-in-law and I'm searching out a suitable replacement in the UK. I plan on buying from a dealer and ideally an approved used BMW. After that all I was planning to do was a full AA or RAC check on the car - not sure if that includes such things as HPI but I'll double check and if not I'll definitely add it to the list.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 pm

the RAC check is actually done by the same crowd as the HPI.. according to the bloke on the phone the only difference is the insurances they give..

the AA check involves an actualy guy th<at come out and looks the car over..they even take it for a test drive.. :-) the AA one is obviously the dearer one..

With HPI if you suffer a loss due to the giving you incorrect info you're covered somehow as far as I know you're not with an RAC
AA is a different ballgame..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Kace » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm

RAC check performs all of the services provided in the AA check. This includes a detailed examination of the car, engine, switchgear, interior / exterior condition, tyres etc. etc. This is performed to a very good level of detail in my experience. I bought an Audi a few years ago and got the RAC check done for peace of mind. The mechanic who performed the check phoned me to discuss the car and spent about an hour going through the contents of the report - very thorough. This was a must for me, as I wanted to do as much as I could to avoid buying a lemon.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Kace wrote:RAC check performs all of the services provided in the AA check. This includes a detailed examination of the car, engine, switchgear, interior / exterior condition, tyres etc. etc. This is performed to a very good level of detail in my experience. I bought an Audi a few years ago and got the RAC check done for peace of mind. The mechanic who performed the check phoned me to discuss the car and spent about an hour going through the contents of the report - very thorough. This was a must for me, as I wanted to do as much as I could to avoid buying a lemon.

There must be different versions available.. cause that differs from the info I gathered..

point being.. check :-)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Return to Off Topic