Idle issues after battery replacement

FTO tips and tricks

Moderator: Moderators

Idle issues after battery replacement

Postby iwannafto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 am

After replacing the battery yesterday and now the car won't start at all, there appears to be no power from the battery i.e. no lights come on when I turn the ignition. I 've checked and double checked the terminal connections (cleaned them etc) to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions - I bought the battery in Halfords (HB085). I'm assuming there's no chance the battery would have discharged whilst sitting on the shelf?
iwannafto
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Battery Help

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 am

iwannafto wrote:I'm assuming there's no chance the battery would have discharged whilst sitting on the shelf?

Its possible, if you put the old battery back in is there any sign of life? Check all of the fuses (drivers footwell but particularly engine bay fuses). I assume that the poles on the new battery aren't the reverse of the previous one?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby iwannafto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:00 am

The old battery had enough power to light up the dash lights but I'm not even getting that with the new battery. The guy in Halfords said the start power in the new battery was less than the old one but that shouldn't be a problem. The poles are the same as the old battery so they're definitely connected correctly. I'm assuming it is purely a battery problem as I had to jump it on Monday evening and then drove from Clifden to Dublin without a hitch?
iwannafto
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 am

Sounds like you need to invest in a batttery charger, alternatively, bring the battery back for exchange (which is what I would do).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby iwannafto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 am

Do you think its worth trying to jump it CJ just to confirm that it is a battery problem? I haven't tried to jump start with the new battery just the old one.
iwannafto
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 am

I'd try a voltmeter first or a battery charger just to check if it is the battery. But if its been sitting idle on a shelf for a long time its likely to be drained and just needs to be charged fully.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby finers » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:12 pm

If its the battery i'd ask for your money back and go to your nearest motor factors and get it for a 1/4 of the price off, Halfords are such rip-off merchants, the same battery i purchased in Consort was 20euro dearer in halfords!! LOL
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Sebastian » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:08 pm

finers wrote:If its the battery i'd ask for your money back and go to your nearest motor factors and get it for a 1/4 of the price off, Halfords are such rip-off merchants, the same battery i purchased in Consort was 20euro dearer in halfords!! LOL

+1
motorfactors have better deals
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby gary d » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 pm

check your new battery with a volt/multimeter, you should get about 12 to 13 volts. If your getting the correct voltage check the ground connection to the chassis. I would return the battery for a refund anyway Halfords are rip off merchants, your sure to find one in your local motor factors for less.
As a matter of curiosity how much did you pay for the Halfords one?
99 Subaru Impreza Turbo, 95 Mitsubishi FTO gpx, 2000 Nissan Micra.
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby iwannafto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Brought the battery back to Halfords and was told the battery was underpowered for an FTO and that it was also completely flat. Got a replacement, fitted it but no joy - the dash lights barely come on and thats it. I''m completely stumpped - any ideas?
iwannafto
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby gary d » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 pm

check ground connection to the chassis. what voltage are you getting from new battery? check voltage at the fuse panel in the car and main fuses in engine bay.
99 Subaru Impreza Turbo, 95 Mitsubishi FTO gpx, 2000 Nissan Micra.
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Shouldnt be underpowered for an FTO if you got the right battery. I woldnt trust a thing anyone in Halfords would say to me, prob dont even know what an FTO is. The FTO runs off a pretty small battery anyway, its the same as a Nissan Micra battery, so whatever battery you got will surely be enough. The one thing is, the Micra/FTO battery has the terminals the opposite of other batteries, its cause its a Jap battery, whereas every other battery you get is European or something. Double check the direction of your terminals, I know you said you did, but be aware that the FTO battery faces its terminals the other way to other batteries.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby crayzidane » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:20 am

Just return it, get your money back and just put this down to experience,
I myself have been bitten by halfords and been taken in by their professional "looking" shops before.
If you're looking for anything other than a shiny keyring with a steering wheel on it,
it can be gotten cheaper and be guaranteed to actually work in you're car, elsewhere
eg.
camskill
local motor factors

(just my 2cents)
I'd rather be hated for what I am,
than loved for what Im not.
crayzidane
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby iwannafto » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 am

Dragonheart wrote:FTO battery faces its terminals the other way to other batteries.

What do you mean by this exactly?
There's little chance of taking the battery back to Halfords either as in my enthusiasm I over tightened the cable connector to the battery terminal and the battery terminal snapped in half so there's €100 down the drain - could this be welded? and if so does anyone know someone who could do it? I'm based on the southside. Also is it a big job to change the actual connectors from the car to the battery itself? has anyone done this before?
iwannafto
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Sebastian » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am

i've upgraded to a bigger size battery and changed the connectors to fit . easy job
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby iwannafto » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:56 am

Any tips Sebastian - did you replace the cables or just the connector clamps?
iwannafto
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 am

Sebastian wrote:i've upgraded to a bigger size battery and changed the connectors to fit . easy job

+1
Iits a case of cutting the old power cables with a decent pliers or a hacksaw and screwing the new terminals on. I paid a fiver for a new set of terminals at my local motor factors.

as in my enthusiasm I over tightened the cable connector to the battery terminal and the battery terminal snapped in half so there's €100 down the drain - could this be welded?

If the pole has snapped then the battery is pretty much unusable in the car (unless theres enough left to safely clamp onto). Put it down to experience, go to a motor factors and get a bigger battery (measure the size of the battery tray as a reference) and matching terminals.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:49 am

iwannafto wrote:
Dragonheart wrote:FTO battery faces its terminals the other way to other batteries.

What do you mean by this exactly?

I mean that they're the other way round. I cant remember which way it is, for clarity sake lets say if you look at the front face of the battery on the FTO / Micra, the negative is on the left, and the positive is on the right. On other batteries, looking from the front again, then the negative is on the right and the positive is on the left. Opposite sides.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:00 pm

by bigger battery i don't refer only in it's size ( sure it has to fit the tray + you have to slightly modify the holder).

AH(Ampere Hours) has to do with it's uprated power as well

standard one it's 35-40 AH ( i think ) as for the uprated one you can go 75AH

As CJ stated it's easy enough to change the connectors.
Sebastian

Postby Bernard » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a thread on the possibility of bigger batteries causing alternator damage?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby iwannafto » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:33 pm

Just updating to say that car is now running smoothly. I took CJ's advice on letting the engine idle for 15 minutes and seems to have solved the problem - no cutting out since. Thanks for all the responses.
iwannafto
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:48 pm

nice. good to hear that. I was normally the type of person to immediately start adjusting idle screws etc! thankfully this known issue is a nice one to have.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:53 pm

iwannafto wrote: I took CJ's advice on letting the engine idle for 15 minutes and seems to have solved the problem - no cutting out since.

Glad it was of help.

I've renamed the topic and moved it to the KB for posterity.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Knowledgebase