NewEra Imports (UK) Email from them

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

NewEra Imports (UK) Email from them

Postby adrian » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:54 pm

Hi all,

I emailed newera about getting an FTO from Japan to Ireland: Transcript below for your information....read from the bottom up, obviously!!:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Adrian,

I quoted for a 1997 facelift + model. GPX manual would be possible. Not much choice is available on colours, as only 750 facelift GPX models were ever built. 45% were white. Around 30% were manual - so we'd be looking for around 1 of 220 cars - some of which are already exported, written off, etc. not many good ones left.

You could order one, but white would need to be one of the colour choices - also if you can accept GX models, this would widen the scope for searching.

If you'd like to order, please note we require a deposit of £1,000 sterling before commencing the search. Attached is an order form. Please complete and return as a saved attachment to proceed further. If you need further info, please call me early am - 1pm Mon - Sat - your local time.

Sorry I cannot provide lots of info - we have had many inquiries from Ireland in the past all of which have turned out to be from timewasters, so I am weary of spending more time on this market - should you place an order, you'll then receive the attention and service our company is known for.

Best Wishes,
Miguel.

Miguel Varella-Cid.
Newera - Japan Office.
Tel: +81- (0) 90-4133-3825
Fax: +81-(0) 47-307-4678

Visit Our Websites!
Private: www.neweraimports.com
Trade: www.neweradirect.com

----- Original Message -----
To: Info - Newera Imports
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 4:14 AM
Subject: RE: FTO.

Thanks,

I am serious but I know the VRT to brng the car in here to Ireland is about 5K Euro (depending on year). WHat year would you be getting at the quoted price and is that a GPX manual?? Can I order colour to spec?

Regards and thanks for your time,

Adrian
-----Original Message-----
From: Info - Newera Imports [mailto:info@neweraimports.com]
Sent: 11 November 2003 23:52
To: adriangraham@eircom.net
Subject: FTO.

HI Adrian,

Thanks for your inquiry. We can supply a car to yourself in Dublin, although you'd need to deal with your own importation - as we have no offices to deal with such in Ireland. In other words you'd need to clear your car, pay duties, deal with conversions, testing, registration.

We could supply FTO's of facelift model from £6,000 sterling incl. all costs in Japan. Shipping would be £500 Sterling approx.

Newera has a No. 1 reputation for the best FTO's supplied to the UK - with FTO club owners.

See the following links to hear what people have said about our service & cars.
It's important to us to supply only the very best possible for client's budgets, to maintain Newera's reputation. Therefore our customers are assured of getting only the best quality available for their budgets.

Please see a few links below to various UK forums as follows
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showt ... adid=15072
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showt ... post128748
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.a ... did=186363
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.a ... dID=248103
http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/s ... eadid=1889
for information on what our clients have to say about Newera's cars and service.

Please also see Billing photos (Newera's 5th Anniversary gathering of customer's cars Aug 2003) posted on the net by some customers. There were some very nice Scoobies which attended, also.See http://bothsides.us/Billing/index.html & http://www.biggaybear.co.uk/Menu/billing/billing.html .

Please contact me by return if serious about proceeding.

Best Wishes,

Miguel Varella-Cid
Newera - Japan Office.
Tel: +81- (0) 90-4133-3825
Fax: +81-(0) 47-307-4678

Visit Our Websites!
Private: www.neweraimports.com
Trade: www.neweradirect.com
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:45 am

Very interesting. Newera have a v. good rep. in the UK so I reckon they won't mess about. I thought about this route some time ago but never followed it up, you've got me thinking again ;) Have you worked out total costs etc, what sort of money are you willing to shell out?

Keep us up to date...

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speedyboy » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:42 am

Have you considered an Irish importer who will clear the car through the system too??

Caroline used A&F he was very good. Very honest and cleared the car quickly

Could be an easier way to go but I wonder would he have as many contacts as new era??

Good Luck With the Search
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:01 pm

Speedyboy wrote:Caroline used A&F he was very good. Very honest and cleared the car quickly

Could be an easier way to go but I wonder would he have as many contacts as new era??

I spoke with A&F about this issue a few months ago, there position was that they don't import FTOs these days as it works out too expensive and they don't make a enough cash themselves. In saying that, I'm sure they would import on demand bearing in mind that you're going to be paying over the odds.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:53 pm

CJ wrote:Have you worked out total costs etc, what sort of money are you willing to shell out?

Ciaran

Hey, I dont know if it's feasible though really .... I mean, the VRT alone will be about 5K I reckon....do you think it would be?? I'll call the Revenue about it.

Also, the GX is a NON MIVEC model right??? If I was going to all this trouble and expense I think it'd have to be a GPX. The 5 speed TIP on the facelift models is meant to be ALOT more reliable.....is this true??

If i went for it a 1997 GPX (manual possibly) facelift would set me back 9500 Euro for the car alone and then possibly the 4,500 or so Euro. SO thats 14,000 Euro for a 1997 GPX....that's not good value at all right??

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am

adrian wrote:Hey, I dont know if it's feasible though really .... I mean, the VRT alone will be about 5K I reckon....do you think it would be?? I'll call the Revenue about it.

Tax @ 21% on €9500 is €1995
VRT @ 30% on the total (€11495) is €3448

Which brings the total gross figure to €14943. In other words you're paying €5433 to the govt.

adrian wrote:Also, the GX is a NON MIVEC model right??? If I was going to all this trouble and expense I think it'd have to be a GPX. The 5 speed TIP on the facelift models is meant to be ALOT more reliable.....is this true??

Yep, a GX is a GR with a few other bits and pieces bolted on. The 5-speed Tip box is a lot lot more reliable and can handle more power if you wanted to go down the serious engine modding route.

adrian wrote:If i went for it a 1997 GPX (manual possibly) facelift would set me back 9500 Euro for the car alone and then possibly the 4,500 or so Euro. SO thats 14,000 Euro for a 1997 GPX....that's not good value at all right??

This is a personal thing really. The fact is, you won't pick up a 97 facelifted manual GPX over here. If you're Joe Soap, its too much to be paying but if you have an appreciation for the car, I personally think its worth it. Put things in perspective, is there another car on the Irish market that you prefer over an FTO and you can pick it up for 14 grand? If the answer is yes, don't bother with the import route and pick up a Scooby or a Supra or an NSX or whatever.

If it was me, I'd be looking for a 97/98 manual GPvR, you might as well go the extra for the kind of money thats on the table.

Check one thing Ado, is Miguel giving you prices less UK VAT (17%)?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:13 pm

adrian wrote:SO thats 14,000 Euro for a 1997 GPX....that's not good value at all right??

A

I suppose it depends (like ciaran says) on how much you like the car. Personally I'd say it's not worth it cause I always look at what I'm going to get for the car when I sell it on. And the reality is that a 1997 manual GPX will probably only stand you €10K in a year. That's a whole whack of depreciation. Also (despite the fact I love the FTO) for €14.5K there are other cars I'd probably be looking at. For me the FTO is the best performance car on the market, excellent looks, performance and handling, but it's the good vaue that makes it the best! At €14.5 euro + the hassle that will come with importing I'd be looking elsewhere - I saw an EVO IV for that kind of money (pig ugly but serious performance). And after having being out in an 1997 Impreza STI (which one of my mechanics bought) and which only cost him €14 (ok trade price but still.... :wink: ) that is where I would be looking - that is very serious porsche humbling performance :twisted:!!! I was very, very shocked and am seriously considering one right now!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:21 pm

shane wrote: I was very, very shocked and am seriously considering one right now!

Join the club ;)
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:36 pm

CJ wrote:
shane wrote: I was very, very shocked and am seriously considering one right now!

Join the club ;)

hehe, yea - my big problem is convincing my fiance that they are not that ugly and 'respectable' people can drive them too. Btw, apparently the new model std WRX is not that fast...... he (mechanic) reckoned the FTO was just as quick to a 100mph......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:34 pm

Lads i am not 100% sure but if some one has the time will they check out smartgroups and jcars for spring/summer of this year the name newera rings a bell with me, they say they are the no.1 importers of FTO but there link to satisfied customers was not to an FTO forum. the name may stick with me as i think several owners were not happy with them, then again i did say i'm not 100% on this so best check out the other FTO forums to be sure, as it could be they were unhappy with someone else and loved newera i just can't remember at the moment..

Better to be safe than sorry.!!!!!!!!
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:49 pm

Daz wrote:Lads i am not 100% sure but if some one has the time will they check out smartgroups and jcars for spring/summer of this year the name newera rings a bell with me, they say they are the no.1 importers of FTO but there link to satisfied customers was not to an FTO forum.

Check it out here:

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/view ... eid=133993

and here:

http://www.jcars.co.uk/mmc/fto/bbs/conf ... read=33004

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:15 pm

As you can see some hated their service and others loved it i guess it will be up to yourselves to make the choice, but he seams to be reasonable.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Return to General FTO Discussion