Tracking Systems

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Tracking Systems

Postby adrian » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:36 am

Hi all,

OK, a bit green about the whole world of car trackers. How do they work and how reliable are they? Is the TrakM8 a car tracker or a totally different device?

What price are we talking about in IRL??

I saw:
http://www.techstore.ie/cartech/Webpage ... gintro.htm

and www.trackandtrace.ie this morning

Thanks,

Adrian
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby kevinod » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:33 pm

Looks good! That post with Quinda's car being stolen set off a few alarm bells, plus might help with cheaper insurance (although not holding my breath on that one).

I've sent www.trackandtrace.ie an email asking them how much it would cost to install and ongoing costs, I'll post when I hear back.

Kev.
kevinod

Postby adrian » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:39 pm

Did the same myself. Ongoing costs at a euro a text are dear but I wouldn't mind If I was able to pinpoint my car if nicked.

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby adrian » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:23 pm

Hi again,

OK, called the company. Basically it's as follows:

€999 (incl VAT) for the unit, fitting and the first years subscription. Thereafter it's €149 a year subscription. Subscription gets you access to the login on the web site to locate your vechile yourself. This, as well as locating your car via your mobile phone is a euro a time. Subscription also gets you access to the 24 hour emergency help desk that you call if your car is stolen. You call the Garda and get a CrimeReferenceNumber and then call the 24 hour help desk with the reference number and they'll liase with the garda to track the car where it is and get it back.

To get a unit that is hooked to the alarm and immobiliser of your car (that allows you to get a text message if the car alarm goes off and to actually immobilise your car by sending a text message) is 1199 (incl VAT) fitted. The same charges as above apply. Probably a better option as you get the message the moment your car is stolen instead of the moment you REALISE your car is stolen. It is the same size of unit as the one above.

They say fitting can be very conspicuous in hidden places so you don't even know it's there.

It'd be good for non-joyrider theft I reckon as if someone stole your car and parked it hidden away for future sale etc then you could find it but the chances are that if a joyrider got their hands on my 240bhp's that it would be well wrecked by the time the Garda even got near it.

Any thoughts????

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:09 pm

adrian wrote:Any thoughts????

Yes, do insurance companies over here take a tracker into consideration when quoting and what sort of premium reduction might you expect to receive?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Speedyboy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:13 pm

Last time i checked there was no discount, Id go the road of decent alarm before tracker. Prevention is better than cure!!

R
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby adrian » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:32 pm

Speedyboy wrote:Last time i checked there was no discount, Id go the road of decent alarm before tracker. Prevention is better than cure!!

R

There was an FTO stolen recently with an alarm!! And, I'd say most of those prestige cars in that scam recently were alarmed.....doesn't seem to matter

What I think it is lacking is a system whereby you are notified if the car moves.....like TrakM8.....not one that you only find out where the car is if you ask!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby kevinod » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:02 pm

For anyone interested, got a reply back for the email I sent, finance option there too:

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry. The cost of our Track-IT Vehicle Locator unit installed and inclusive of VAT is EUR999.00:

Included in this Cost:

Nationwide on-site installation.
1st years system operating costs
1st years subscription to emergency Call Centre in the event of vehicle Theft.
12-Month Warranty

Annual Charges per system Year 2 etc.

EUR149.00 inc.VAT annually per unit.

Included Costs:
One year's system operating costs
One year's subscription to 24 Hour Emergency Call Centre in the event of vehicle theft.

We can also offer a finance package which works out, after an initial deposit of EUR199, at EUR32.63 repayable over 36 months. If you think this may be of interest, let me know and I can send you full details.

Track-IT Vehicle Locator can be de-installed and re-installed into a new vehicle, there is a small charge for this.

If you have a look at our website www.trackandtrace.ie you will find a great deal of information regarding our Track-IT Vehicle Locator. With Track-IT Vehicle Locator you have access to your vehicles location via your own password protected web-site, whereby you can log on anywhere in the world and locate your vehicle (there is a cost of EUR1.00 for this service and applies to 02 and Vodafone customers), as well as having the back-up and peace of mind of a 24hr Emergency Call Centre in the event of the theft of your vehicle.

If you do have any other queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Philippa Kirk
Track&Trace Ltd
Unit 4, Rowan House
Ashbourne Industrial Estate
Ashbourne
Co. Meath

Tel: 018359500
Fax: 018359119
Mob: 0872864830
kevinod

Postby adrian » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:25 pm

Wonder if we can buy a tracker device in the UK (it's still GSM etc) and use it in ireland?? Anyone know the techie side of this??
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Speedyboy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:48 pm

Yeah but the system that informs you that the car has moved against your will with tracker can be used in a high end alarm to stop the car moving at all.

IMHO its a little late been driven away,
Speedyboy

Postby Speedyboy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:59 pm

I meant to add if you are getting a tracker on the car ensure that they will immobilise the car while it is moving. Some of the companies think that its too dangerous to immobilise the car and leave the theives to continue driving it while notifying you /the police where it is.

R
Speedyboy

Return to General FTO Discussion