Spark plug torque

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Spark plug torque

Postby Superwofy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:49 pm

What is it on the V6 FTO?

On my previous car which also had an Al cylinder head and the same thread size plug it was 20 N-m, so for the time being I'll go with that when inspecting the front plugs today. Is it in the workshop manual? I've been going through it a few times and can't find it.

Thanks.
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Spark plug torque

Postby Temeeo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:19 pm

25Nm according to "Workshop Manual, Engine and Transmission 6A12, F5M42, F5A42" (page 29)
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:09 am

I have never torqued the plugs in any service, on any car. I have always just tightened the plugs until it felt right. Never had an issue after many plug changes on many cars.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Superwofy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:48 am

Temeeo wrote:25Nm according to "Workshop Manual, Engine and Transmission 6A12, F5M42, F5A42" (page 29)

Thank you. Didn't have that manual until now.

goz_83 wrote:I have never torqued the plugs in any service, on any car. I have always just tightened the plugs until it felt right. Never had an issue after many plug changes on many cars.

Hmm. Most mechanics I've spoken to feel the same about torquing stuff, bar for head bolts (most of the time). I'm just really careful with aluminum parts since they are much, much softer than steel.

Oh, one more thing; the spark plug tool in the OEM Mitsu bag; what does it attach to? I've used it today with a 15mm socket but clearly, that's not how it was meant to be used. The 15mm is too lose while 14mm does not fit over it.
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Return to FTO Technical