If only i had my FTO in Australia

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Re: If only i had my FTO in Australia

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:28 pm

:cry: page Woun't display

Interested what it is as I'm thinking of bringing mine with me when I head over.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Dragonheart » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Can't see the price on it but I remember when I was in NZ and I was looking for an FTO I thought they'd be dirt cheap as they are everywhere, but the price was about double what they were in Ireland at the time. I imagine its the same in Oz now as well. The main things which kill us over here are petrol, nct, tax, and insurance. In NZ and Oz petrol is half the price of Ireland, their version of the nct is a dawdle (its not done through centres just through garages, sort of like the MOT for vans here), tax cost me €30 for 6 months on a 3L car, (its not done by engine size its done by private, commerical, etc.), and insurance isn't compulsary. So the target market for the cars is larger and people can afford to run them there a lot easier than in Ireland.

I presume you're in Oz so now Jay? How you finding it?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:58 am

jayod12b wrote:http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/results.aspx?eapi=2&sort=Price&N=1216 1246%201247+1252%201282%204294964597%204294961377&distance=25&Range=Price:Min,Max~1|Mileage:Min,Max|Year:Min,Max|Seats:Min,Max|EngineSize:Min,Max&vertical=Car&silo=Stock&page=1

Can you fix the link please...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jayod12b » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:12 am

Sorry about that guys think ive it fixed now,
Im just shocked at the prices of ftos and pretty much every car over the 2litre range here in melbourne,
when you think of all the higher power ranged cars at home that you cant give away at the moment if you had a couple of them here youd make a fortune
Average petrol cost here atm is about 1 euro

Dragonheart wrote:I presume you're in Oz so now Jay? How you finding it?

Yea Marty here in Melbourne 2 months now working away as a technician for a company called Biesse,getting great opportunities from them,
Cost of living has gone up alot from when i was last here in 07 but i guess wages are relative to that and the good weather helps alot too
( apart from yesterday when we had golf ball hailstones in 30 degrees heat hahaa)
jayod12b
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Shocking! That's what an FTO price range should be, but if it was, I probably wouldn't have become an owner in the first place. Wonder what it costs to send an FTO to OZ, including taxes and vrt etc.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Thats a bit of an excessive price in my opinion! I was quoted that for an FTO in Ireland when I bought mine, was the reason I went through Japan instead. Realistically, if people could easily insure them and they were more affordable, then you should be looking at around €6K. €12K is waaaay over the top. Thats the territory of a well looked after '67 Mustang or something like that.
The range I was seeing in NZ was about NZZ$7,000 which was about €3,500 back then. Conversion rates are after changing dramatically too though so the value of the euro is dropped against the AUS$ and the NZ$, so if you want to factor that into it thats another reason why the price seems mad high in euros.

Wouldn't mind going back to Christchurch myself someday myself, as part of the rebuild. Though with more aftershocks there I don't know how secure the place is. Maybe this time the council will listen to the experts instead of ignoring them like they did a few years ago when earthquake surveys were first conducted! Wellington and Auckland paid attention but Chch didn't, and look where it got them.
Is there a lot of work over in Oz or is it a case of being one of the lucky ones to have a secure jobs with a company there? I've been hearing mixed stories from people within the construction industry, some say theres no shortage of work, others had to leave cause visas were up and couldn't get sponsorship.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby technikhaus » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Here in NZ you're looking at about 3000-4000 NZD for a good condition GPX.
Where as back in aus, you're looking 5000-6000 AUD for a good one, it's weird :shock:
1996 FTO GPX Manual in White with sunroof :D
technikhaus
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:39 am

That pretty much brings us in line then. The insurance is a different story though :twisted:
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby technikhaus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:10 am

What are insurance costs like over there?
technikhaus
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:44 am

Depends on a lot of factors;

1. Can you find a company to insure you.
2. Is the person you are talking to in a good mood.
3. Do they have an IQ above or under 70.

Those are the basic problems when getting insurance in Ireland. People the same age, driving the same car, and with the same driving experience have gotten quotes varying between €600 and €2000 from companies.

I'm in the lucky range, paying €550, but expecting that to drop this year as I'm not insuring it fully comp anymore as its not worth it, and this year is the year that pushes me over the 5 year mark. So maybe I'll get it for €500. In NZ I was paying a whopping NZ$0.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby technikhaus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:14 pm

haha, well I rang up earlier today to see what I'll be paying,
It came to
$1300NZD a year for full comprehensive insurance
$650NZD for 3rd Party Fire and Theft or,
$350NZD for 3rd Party.
that was with a $1300NZD excess :shock:
But they had no problems doing it.
The reasons for it being so expensive...
Im <25
im not on my full license
and I'm Male....
technikhaus
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:29 pm

When insurance is optional, the insurance companies really have to be competitive. I also got a bit lucky. After almost selling the FTO GR I had from such difficulty getting a quote, I ended up paying about €650 tpft. That rose by €80 when I moved my policy to another 1 year older GR for some reason. It then rose by another €100 (approx) when I switched to a 3 years younger manual mivec and bumped it up to fully comp. So approx €830 insurance and I live in the capital. I'm 28 with full 5+ years effective no claims bonus. I guess I am lucky because the guy I got the first GR from was paying a whopping €930 tpft and he was 39 and living in Wexford with full ncb and a history of fast cars. I guess he didn't help himself by thinking the car was a GPX when it was only a GR :mrgreen: He was not too pleased when I told him he was paying GPX insurance on a GR.

I am used to expensive insurance, but won't ever pay over 1k again. My first insurance was on a 1.4 Opel Astra and cost me €4,700 tpft. I was 19. Was the time of peak insurance prices I guess. Dropped by 2k the following year and then down to circa €1400 and lower every year. NO surprise when they ask you for €800 to insure a 50cc moped/scooter. I got quoted at about 1k for a brand new GT Mustang. That is my goal. But I won't shift the fto anytime soon. Not unless prices go on the rise. Have spent too much on her.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby holio » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:20 pm

goz_83 wrote:I got quoted at about 1k for a brand new GT Mustang. That is my goal.

Dont think insurance will be the big financial burden with one of those.
Probably better getting quotes for barrels of oil.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:41 pm

holio wrote:
goz_83 wrote:I got quoted at about 1k for a brand new GT Mustang. That is my goal.

LOL True

But it would be worth every barrel.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:32 pm

holio wrote:

LOL!!! :smt005
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion