Choose your mods wisely

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Choose your mods wisely

Postby CJ » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:53 am

As time goes on, I'm seeing more and more cars on the road that have been modified without any consideration for the overall look. I'm not talking about cheap and nasty boy racer mods either. For example, I saw a Camry this morning on chrome 17's, all I could see was rims, it looked wrong. Theres a guy on my road with a 92 Merc, again huge big wheels that look way out of place. A 91 Mazda 323 with HIDs was being behind me yesterday, they looked so out of place.

The point I'm making is that a lot of people don't look at the big picture when it comes to modding cars. From my perspective (and maybe I'm getting old and slightly snobbish) you should try and improve upon the stock look rather than mod to the extent that wheels, kits etc look out of place. The same goes for FTOs, I've lost count of the number that I've seen with 'unbalanced' mods. I'm all up for personal preference but theres standing out and theres standing out!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:05 am

I hear ya CJ,

In my estate there's a modded van (I kid you not) - it has a 4/5foot wing on the roof.. AND alloys!

IT'S A VAN!

I also keep spotting a lime green A4 with full bodykit - big steel spoiler - and stickers everywhere..

Functional MODS I can understand (HIDs,Brakes and such) - but cosmetic ones really need to be done with care and attention.. That's partly the reason why I'm so Slow at fitting my kit..I'm just not sure I'm doing the right thing for my car....

Lowering is a mod that generally goes well on most cars..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby d_andrews78 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:18 am

What I really love the the girls with a fiesta or Corsa, and the interior is all pink, and I've seen a few with Pink rims to go with the whole pink look.
It don't seem to matter what colour the car is either.

There's also been a Hyundi Coupe in red that thinks it's faster than the FTO or even the Accord. I guess it must be the Flame vinal sticker that go's form the front arch and down the whole door!
Lots to think about, nothing to worry about!
95 Mivec-Now a Clio replica & a 1.2 engine conversion.
d_andrews78
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Bernard » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:40 am

d_andrews78 wrote: and I've seen a few with Pink rims

:lol: -sorry.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby d_andrews78 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:12 pm

Bernard wrote:
d_andrews78 wrote: and I've seen a few with Pink rims

:lol: -sorry.

:roll: No comment!

But I ment pink Alloys, good job I did mention anything about tyres!
d_andrews78
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby optical illusion » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:24 pm

I totally agree, unfortunately some people's taste are just up their arses.

I mean, if you can't see how ugly it's making your car then you deserve to be laughed at...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wildhound » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:30 pm

I have to agree, I find myself constantly in awe of some of the terrible mods people have on the cars. Some are funny, some are just depressing.
Wildhound
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Gwyn » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:21 pm

I agree that modifying can divide opinion. I personally have no interest in modified saxo's, civics etc. There still slow and standard - just now heavier. If your car is genuinely decent (FTO / Skyline etc), and mechanically A1 - then think about visual mods - but only then.

I'm sure this will divide opinion too - but ever since I saw the bumblebee Camaro in the Transformers movie - I've wanted to paint the FTO yellow - with black stripes on the top. I don't recall seeing a yellow FTO before - and I think the car is good looking enough to pull it off. What do you think ? Any photoshop experts out there that could do a mock up (with black rims) ?
Gwyn
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Bernard » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:23 pm

There's a start, enter Gfalls.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:34 pm

there was a special edition yellow FTO celebrating it winning car of the year, if I remember correctly
colm_mcm

Postby d_andrews78 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:41 pm

Sure some one will correct me if I'm Wrong but, think there was a limited Edition in yellow for being Car of the year 199?. It even came with a badge that said car of the year on the c pillar.
d_andrews78
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 pm

Yup - You're right there..

It think the color is Dandelion Yellow or something..

Personally I don't think I'd be able to do the yellow FTO thing - it's all a matter of taste really.. some people like steak - others prefer liver..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:......- it's all a matter of taste really.. some people like steak - others prefer liver..

Others prefer deep fried Mars bars! :lol: - Guy in a Red Hyundai Coupe parked beside me today - Mavoooso stainless steel rear wing that wouldn't have looked out of place on pikes peak and a set of 18's (that made his standard brakes look tiny) unlowered on normal suspension so the big wheels made it sit like a 4x4 - normal weedy exhaust etc - cheapo chav seat covers with the drivers seat set to the horizontal - what was he thinking?

He'll never resell that car without putting it back to standard. I'd love to actually drive this around "pumping out the tuunes" just to see peoples reaction to this car - needless to say I'd be wearing an obligatory baseball cap and my best white tracksuit.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:26 pm

It was car of the year in Japan in 94 AND 95, not sure which or was it both the special edition was celebrating!

One of the mods that gets me is the 'side off a fertiliser bag mudguards' which never looks right. I sometimes wonder if the unbalanced cars are works in progress, can only afford to do a bit at a time, so I think you have to cut a bit of slack sometimes...

More of the 'looking stock only better' preference myself (maybe I'm getting old too! :lol: ).
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:19 pm

I think the FTO looks savage stock. Image

Mind you I am kinda thinking about a set of 17s and some brakes... still... Visually I couldn't do anything it. different spoiler or rear spats, or different bumper. I just like it how it is. Each to their own though...

PS. Still laughing Bernard (pink rims) :D :D :lol: :lol:
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:28 pm

Those wheels you have sitting at your fence there wont fit anyways..

You could prolly convert them cones der into killa one off wing mirrors..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Wildhound » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:29 pm

The only thing I dislike about stock FTOs is the wheels. Apart from that it always looks class, regardless of model/colour.
Wildhound

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:46 pm

lol @ maud... yeah that yard os a veritable gold mine of mods eh? :lol:
Yeah I wildhound. Its a pity it didn't have 17s as standard really. Still, I'll see.
I was thinking of a dark set of 17s. something gun metal or titanium colour. I've yet to see the ones I want. Until then I'll just tip away on the standards. :?
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:58 pm

Gwyn wrote:ever since I saw the bumblebee Camaro in the Transformers movie - I've wanted to paint the FTO yellow - with black stripes on the top.

I've just wanted the same camaro full stop, all 5.7 litred 'death' of it. Plus an FTO. :lol:

I'd call it bumblebee too, just coz I can. :D

Here's a yellow for sale currently, not my cup of tea but everone to their own and all that...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=720902
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Choose your mods wisely

Postby soc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:57 pm

CJ wrote:The point I'm making is that a lot of people don't look at the big picture when it comes to modding cars. From my perspective (and maybe I'm getting old and slightly snobbish)

I used to think I was the same- in fact I've had people accuse me of being snobbish for commenting but I'm in total agreement. A badly modified car no matter what it make/model looks sh!t3. I've seen some horrendus more expensive cars in the UK (TT's, 350's, 3-series etc) but the amount of tat over here really is amazing - mostly sad little boy racers with 1.0lt polo's, corsas, etc and more and more often smaller capacity jap imports like levins and civics (and we are not talking type-R or even v-tec here). I can't believe any of these guys really think that lashing on one of those scafolding like spoilers with 19" wheels (std brakes and unlowered), tinted windows and a bunch of jap decals can make the car look good.....?

Like CJ says - the best way to mod is to subtly improve on the orginial - I mean it's not like some cheap fiberglass kit is going to improve the look of a car a manufacturer spent millions on during R&D -

I'd be lying if I haven't developed a really intense dislike for these scummy boy racers
:evil:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Choose your mods wisely

Postby CJ » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:15 pm

soc wrote:I'd be lying if I haven't developed a really intense dislike for these scummy boy racers
:evil:

I hear ya, these youngflas annoy the bejaysus out of me but that fact is that some of us were that boy (or girl) racer at some point ;) Mind you, I didn 't have the money at 17 to run a car, kids these days have it too easy (OK, now I know I'm getting old).

I was down in Portlaoise today an an Irish Rotary OC \ Nissan SX OC joint meet, we were in a Hotel car park and everyone was well behaved. There were a few young flutes in the a Civic and a Cosra that decide to burn the crap out of their cars and in the process manage to tar all of us with the same brush. A swift kick up the swiss or a lick of a hurl wouldn't go astray...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:08 am

gfalls wrote::D Would need a bit more of the rims in the picture to do it justice.

How's this...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Cars