Cheap respray

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Cheap respray

Postby goz_83 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:02 pm

My bro just collected his GR from the repair shop. It now has the facelift bumper and the rear bumper is repaired now. It looks sweet. The damage to the rear panel was repaired too. impressed for €380. Looks like I might be gettin a respray soon. Will have to crack open the piggy bank. €750 full respray or €1000 to change colour.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Wanted FTO cash waiting

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:12 pm

goz_83 wrote:My bro just collected his GR from the repair shop. It now has the facelift bumper and the rear bumper is repaired now. It looks sweet. The damage to the rear panel was repaired too. impressed for €380. Looks like I might be gettin a respray soon. Will have to crack open the piggy bank. €750 full respray or €1000 to change colour.

Sounds very cheap - that FTO is a nice colour already - just get it back to pristine IMHO.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:33 pm

:whs

Thats crazy cheap. I hope its a proper job.
Im not going to say how much I paid for my front lip to be flushed and the bumper sprayed, but its around what you were saying.
Someone scrapped off my girlfriends new car and its wasn't much and the cheapest quote she's getting is €300-€350.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Any resprayed using water based paint for a grand will be poor quality. Something doesn't add up.
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Did loads of shopping around. Most places wanted circa €800 to do his car and I couldn't believe when they said €350....only went to €380 with the extra bits he wanted done. The bent rear end is now put right and I have to say the paint job isn't 100% on the front bumper, but it's pretty damn close and the colour seems perfectly matched and blended. I noticed a couple of tiny paint dips, from chips that weren't flushed out properly, but it's stunning work for the price as far as I am concerned and I am possibly the fussiest person you could meet. They polished up the d/side headlight and the p/side too and they look like crystals now. The damaged cluster electrics were fixed aswell. Photo added. Thats the facelift bumper I bought from Gerry a few weeks ago.

By goz83 at 2011-11-24
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Gerry » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Looking very well gary,
Great to see this back on the road, it never gave me a minutes trouble.
Gerry
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Is it just me or am I the only one who is starting to hate A34 paint.
No offence but I have to point out it's at least 5 shades off to the rest of the body paint and both are probably the original colours.
You Woun't believe the amount of trouble in having with mine and it's even preventing me putting on a rear splitter due to the hasttle.

Rant over :x
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:05 am

hehe. Its actually mostly the angle of the pic Stewy. I was hesitant to even post that pic, but it looks much closer in the flesh. And the pre-facelift bumper I had on it was WAY off shade. Anyway, its my brothers baby now and he is thrilled about it. Will take a closer look tomorrow. A full respray would mean that matching wont be a problem. I plan to get my fto fully resprayed to pristine. All little defects taken out too. If they mess it up, i'll be removing finger nails from the owner.

I have my fly eyes tinting film on order. Darkest blue for the front and black for the rear lights. Ordered a p/side rear light on ebay. Only €25 delivered. Anyone heard from Otto? I was buying from him, but have not heard from him in over a week, by pm, or by text.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Cheap respray

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:52 pm

I think alot of the Steel-silver fto's out there have a few shades on them at this stage...

Mine had 3 that I could tell apart after looking for about 30 seconds... the bumpers will always look slightly different when the light hits off them..often they're not sprayed in situ - and for some reason that just means that it'll reflect the light differently - Of course with part sprays there's the added complication of the color not being matched 100% - different manufactures, curing method, base coat and so on....

I've had worse color matches on my car than what's shown in the picture there - once there's a bit of muck on there nobody will notice the difference...

(except of course for you lot :-) )
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Bernard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote: I've had worse color matches on my car than what's shown in the picture there - )

You sure have...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Sorry, but that is totally a different colour. I had my front and rear done recently by a professional for 450, absolutely no difference even up close, I dunno how he did it.

Same guy quoted 1800 for full respray. And that's cheap.

Good luck with a quote anything under that, caveat emptor...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:19 am

Bernard wrote:
Muad_dib77 wrote: I've had worse color matches on my car than what's shown in the picture there - )

You sure have...

Hahah! Good find... Even before that one :-)

@Optical - the black color is easier to match as far as I know...

It would be interesting to see more pictures - but what's really important is that op is happy with the result..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby goz_83 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:06 pm

I'll get some more pics up soon guys....of both ftos.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 pm

I removed some posts, Shane & Laura that's crossing a line.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:33 am

Bernard wrote:I removed some posts, Shane & Laura that's crossing a line.

No worries - I'll remember not to use the word "flange" in future.

Perhaps we could get the swear filter to change the phrase "exhaust flange" to "exhaust womens bits" ? :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion