Water leak

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Water leak

Postby jrad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:25 am

Hi Folks,

Just went for a drive and when i got home I noticed a leak under the car.
On further inspection I can tell you that it is from a spout coming out of the firewall.
Is it the water that has been condensed by the ac?
jrad
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: Water leak

Postby goz_83 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 am

Sounds like it could be coolant coming from the heater matrix. If it a white plastic spout, there should be a hose connecting it to the rest of the coolant system.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jrad » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Nope, just a spout sticking out of the firewall.

The water is clear whereas the windscreen washer water is green and the coolant is blue.
jrad
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:04 am

Smell the fluid. If it's sweet, it's coolant. If it's a spout coming out of the firewall, to the passenger side of the engine, halfway down the firewall, then it sounds like the above. There should be two hoses in place, one for coolant in and one for coolant out afaik.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:40 pm

nightmare. I will be fixing mine over xmas when it happened last year I just joined the hoses together but the windscreen was real bad for steaming up even with windows down and blower on full. was about thiis time of year it happened too just after my fluid and belt change
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby jrad » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Mechanic said it was the runoff from the air con coolant.
Case closed
jrad
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:03 pm

That's great news.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsinut » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 pm

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:nightmare. I will be fixing mine over xmas when it happened last year I just joined the hoses together but the windscreen was real bad for steaming up even with windows down and blower on full. was about thiis time of year it happened too just after my fluid and belt change

Was it the pipe into the heater matrix? Was it the top or bottom pipe from the firewall? We broke/cracked the top pipe when taking the engine feed hose off. We've done a temporary fix as
there is still about 5-10mm sticking out that the clamp can catch and a piece of steel plate with a "V" cut each side bolted using two existing bolts each side to clamp against the pipe. Worried this might come back to bite me, Did you get your's done + what had to come out to get to that point?
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Return to FTO Technical