smoked rear lights, clear lenses

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

smoked rear lights, clear lenses

Postby funkygreendogs » Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi,

I know this has been asked before, but where can I find a really good brand of rear lens tint? I have tried a few places around Galway and they said they dont stock them anoymore? Is that because its hard to get through the NCT? I know I can use it sparingly and there wont be a difference as most modern cars have it on the lights by default these days so not too worried. Preferrable somewhere online that I can purchase.

Same goes for the clear side repeaters/indicators, aparantly they cost £100 + VAT from DSpeed now, does anyone have any links to online shop selling FTO clear repeater lenses?

Also getting a mad "metal sheering" noise when i start the car now, sounds like metal scraping or possible a fan scraping - is that the tappets noise i hear everyone on about, or should i look at getting the fans replaced?
funkygreendogs
1st gear
1st gear

Re: smoked rear lights, clear lenses

Postby ottostreet » Tue May 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Get some fly eye kit, its a film, not a spray. Myself and a few other members here have used it. It passes the NCT as well.

http://www.flyeyeskit.co.uk/
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby funkygreendogs » Tue May 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Yeah, nice one, I forgot i asked about that before and I came across the link again when i was looking at my old posts. Its exactly what i need.

What size would you recommend for the two back lights? I suppose if i get the biggest one I can cut it to fit?
funkygreendogs
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Just take a rough measurement and go with that. The scraping sound could be from your starter motor. Tappets sounds like there is lots of tapping in the engine. Screeching, or scraping, if not coming from the belts immediately after starting the car is more than likely your starter motor. A second one should be easy to source from a breaking fto if you confirm the problem. Any mechanic/garage will tell you for free...then you get the part and have them put it in, or you do it yourself.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue May 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Mazda mx5 repeaters will fit.
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Tue May 08, 2012 9:18 pm

If the starter turns out to be your problem let me know as I have a spare working unit sitting up in Loughrea.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Jokke » Tue May 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Yup, if the metallic scraping sound comes just when you're cranking/when the engine fires up replace the starter motor. You don't want to let it eat the teeth from the flywheel. And btw check the condition of the flywheel from the starter motor hole. If the teeth are already in bad condition, you will just ruin the replacement starter as well.

Not sure how nasty the hole is to access, but some mirror and flashlight should do the trick.
Jokke
1st gear
1st gear

Postby funkygreendogs » Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 am

Yeah, I have a feeling its the belts to be honest, it doesnt seem like its the starter motor anyways because it happens after i accellerate sometimes aswell.

Would you guys know anyone with a spare calliper bracket for the rear drivers side also, I broke the tip of a bolt inside it and i tried everything to get it out, nothing left now but to get a replacement bracket i think.

Ill have a go at the MX5 repeaters, nice one. Also would you guys recommend a good place to get the car undersprayed somewhere out this side/in or around Galway?
funkygreendogs
1st gear
1st gear

Return to General FTO Discussion