Auto Leathers --- Not Recommeneded

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Auto Leathers --- Not Recommeneded

Postby goz_83 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Reposted after receiving goods. Happy with the product received, but had to wait a very long time. Looking forward to having installed.

I would recommend that everyone avoid Auto Leathers, aka Auto Covers based in the UK. Here's why. (will try keep it short, but it's a long story)

I ordered a set of leatherette seat retrims for my fto on December 6th 2011, having taking a fair amount of time to decide on a colour scheme. I decided to go with blue/white, as my gpx is blue. The cost was €228.21. Funnily enough, when I phoned to order, I was told that the Christmas deadline was that day, for guaranteed delivery before Christmas and this included the republic of Ireland (I checked). I ordered the seat trims there and then, and paid straight away with PayPal. Christmas passed and no trims arrived. To be honest, I wasn't that bothered, but it would have been nice to get them for the Christmas. I phoned up a couple days into January and I was told they had been sent by courier, so I waited a couple of days and nothing arrived. 2 more phone calls and I finally received the trims in the second week of January. The seatbelt harness cut-outs were noticeably poorly cut and after installation, this led to them quickly ripping after only one Journey. I contacted the company on January 16th about it and fearing that this would happen to the rest of the trims, I told them that the trims were not made properly. Long story, short...I offered to return the trims, or to pay €100 to keep them as back ups, because I didn't want my fto to be without trims for more than a month. The originals were ruined in the removal. The owner (Tony) said he would have full replacements sent out to me right away. A month later, replacement front trims arrived, minus the butt cushion cover. I rang Tony to tell him that I only received the front top parts and he apologised for the mistake and said a new set would arrive within 2 weeks, because I said I would do without the embroidery, just wanting the seat trims to arrive quickly.

So at that stage, I had a full set with new front trims, so I planned to just give that set to my brother, thinking it wouldn't last long anyway. Surprisingly it's doing fine but the white gets dirty very easily...anyway, im going off topic now. I had to contact Tony on several occasions, because every time he promised the trims would arrive, they didn't...and he could never find a tracking number, or call me back with one. They almost never reply to emails either, for simple little things. I phoned in April for a refund and I got a bit hot headed with the guy on the phone, as I was really pissed off at that stage. He didn't have any information about the order and said that Tony wouldn't be back until Monday...this was a Friday. The 2 staff members never have access to the computer (or so they say) to check on the order status. Only Tony seems to have access, which makes me think that this is a home garage operation. When I called a couple of days later about my refund, Tony said that the package was lost in the post. Don't ask me how, but he got me interested in changing my order to real leather for an extra £100ish. I didn't pay on the spot because I was asking about blue leather and decided on black in the end. To date, no extra money has been paid, but no trims have arrived either. Every week is another promise and never do I receive a tracking number. I was to receive them last week on a "promise" when I was away and I had no doubt they would not be there. The story was that the embroidery guy was ill all week, but I never got a phone call! I was told that they were sent last Friday, and I would receive by Thursday, but when I rang Wednesday, the girl who answered had no access to Tonys computer to check the tracking number but said they had been dispatched. She told me Tony would call me in 30 minutes when he returned. No phone call and no answer when I called later. On Thursday, I tried calling several times, but got no answer. This morning I called again and got no answer. An hour later I tried from a different number and Tony answered. I calmly told him that I first reported the issue in January and that this delay was totally unacceptable (i know, i have been too patient). He took my number again, saying he would call in 5 minutes with the tracking code from the embroidery place. I called after 10 minutes and he said they didn't have the tracking code but that it was sent 2 days ago. He said he would get the embroidery place to call me right away with the tracking code. That was more than an hour ago. By his calculations, I should have the order on Saturday (tomorrow). I will wait until Thursday and then I will get my full refund, or report them and post this up on every car forum I can find. I will build and optimise a website so that potential customers find my site before theirs and will see this story. Yes, I would be that annoyed. I spend loosely, but I expect good service too. If I do receive the trims, I will update this thread and be honest about the quality, but I do not recommend this company and I will not be paying them another cent. I have called more than 50 times, each time was a day or two after the order was to arrive. AVOID AUTO LEATHERS.

The original set has held up just fine, with the exception of the front seats at the seatbelt harness'. The replacements have yet to be installed, so are unused so far. I would walk away, but after all this time and promise after promise, I am just really annoyed and determined to get a result out of this company. I have seen good reports on them, which is why I ordered, but they are officially the worst company I have ever dealt with, with regards to customer care (and I have been a customer of Three mobile). They're always courteous on the phone, but you can literally feel them lying to you and there's not much you can do, because they constantly pass the book. The fact that I wasn't charged €100 to keep the originals, or asked to pay £100 for the upgrade to leather is not down to them being kind. I fully believe it comes down to a total lack of organisation. Even though I have called so many times, they (with the exception the owner) never know who I am and don't even have access to the email account. This means one of two things in my mind (1) The staff are genuinely mentally challenged (2) They get quite a few complaints. If you only had one or two complaints, you would remember them easily, but if you had a few dozen, it get hard to remember who is who. I am very surprised this company is still afloat, but if it runs from a home garage, its understandable to some degree.
Last edited by goz_83 on Thu May 31, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Auto Leathers --- Not Recommeneded

Postby goz_83 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Amazing! Just a few moments ago, I get a short email with a tracking code for an item which is to be picked up for delivery to me. I see I have a missed call from them too. Maybe it is a coincidence, but isn't it funny that all this happened a few minutes after posting my rant here? Will keep you updated.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Fri May 25, 2012 7:42 pm

great, so hopefully Ill be getting your old ones :smt002
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Kace » Fri May 25, 2012 7:44 pm

goz_83 wrote:Amazing! Just a few moments ago, I get a short email with a tracking code for an item which is to be picked up for delivery to me. I see I have a missed call from them too. Maybe it is a coincidence, but isn't it funny that all this happened a few minutes after posting my rant here? Will keep you updated.

Interesting - Google alert perhaps ?
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:23 pm

@ Chris: looks like its arranged for collection on Monday.

@ Kace: it was super fast. Only a few minutes. Makes sense now that the trims won't be collected til Monday. Gives them time to have them ready. But I was told that they were already sent. It clearly says on the parcel force website that the item is only scheduled for pick up on Monday.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Fri May 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Kace wrote:
Interesting - Google alert perhaps ?

That's what I thought too.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Leather seat trims finally arrived yesterday. Auto Leathers were looking for me to pay extra for the leather upgrade, but after all the hassle and lies I have had to go through, I won't be sending them another red cent. I will be posting my original post above, but to be fair, I have finally received my trims, even if I have waited over 6 months from the day of order. They did neglect to put the fto logo on the back seats again, but I actually don't mind that at all.

I wouldn't recommend dealing with them, but that's just me and I am sure plenty of people have nothing but good things to say about them. Personally I would say that staff should have access to the computer to be able to give customers the information they ask for, instead of telling lies, or fobbing them off.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby iano128 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi guys just thought I would give my opinion on Auto Leathers. I ordered my covers back at the start of July and they arrived after 3 weeks which I didn't think was to bad. Consider they were made for the fto they fit well and they got the colours I asked for right. The only part that was more difficult than I though was removing the old covers. Didn't realise after you unzip them there's metal running through most of the cover as well. But I think the finished job is ten times better than my old ripped seats.

What do you guys think of the colours? I was tempted to go for more stand out ones but told myself subtlety is better. BTW pics are straight after fitting they have now taken the shape of the seats much better and are also as a bonus more comfortable.
iano128
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:23 am

Glad you're happy with them. The white leatherette gets real dirty, real easy, so keep some seat wipes handy. Nice choice on the white piping btw. Would have taken much longer had you asked for the fto logo. They tried to contact me asking for more money for the leather upgrade. Considering all the sh!te I had to go through, they're lucky I just ignored their emails and voice message.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Those ones look quite baggy iano, nice colour combo but they don't look like they fit right.
colm_mcm

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:22 pm

:whs . Very baggy, but if you happy with them fair play.
After what Gary went through I'd be staying away from them anyway. And I was going to order a set with him at Christmas. Glad I didn't.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:33 pm

The leathers are a much better fit I have to say. They're not skin tight, but I didn't want them to be. And they are soooo comfy
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion