Drivers Door Central Locking Motor

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Drivers Door Central Locking Motor

Postby daniel » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:15 pm

Hi all, just looking for some help, my drivers door central locking motor died last night. Basically doesnt work off the alarm remote control pod anymore. Anyone know where i can get a new replacement, or a quick fix for this.

Daniel
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:37 pm

Hi Daniel

Check out this link on Steve Hemmings site:

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/central_locking/

Good luck!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby daniel » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:44 pm

Cheers Ciaran, looks like a simple enough fix, have you or anybody else tried this fix out, or have you had this problem before?
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:46 pm

daniel wrote:Cheers Ciaran, looks like a simple enough fix, have you or anybody else tried this fix out, or have you had this problem before?

I havn't personally, but its a common enough problem so it shouldn't be too hard to get info if required.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ivan E » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:38 pm

Hi Daniel,

I have had that problem and yes it seems to be a very common problem. You can replace the motor itself as it is not too expensive to buy but I have no idea about the cost of fitting. I believe it might have something to do with the motor getting too hot or something.

As it turns out mine started working again. Just mess around with the key and try it everyday and it should start working again. It happened once more after this and it started working again the next day.

It is annoying but I don't really have the cash to go out and spend on anything that I can get buy without at the moment. That might not be the case with you but they are plenty of examples around of people replacing the motor.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby daniel » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:16 am

Thanks Ivan, ill try messing about with the key today, if i have no luck with that i think ill try get the motor out this weekend, and if i cant see anything obvious wrong with it, ill probably try order a replacement motor as per Ciarans advice.
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby steelroe » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:13 pm

Daniel,

My passenger side motor packed in last weekend, I have stripped it out and the motor is shot. Looked for replacemnent over the net, found exact replacement from same manufacturer as Mitsubishi use. go to this link http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... fc_280ptst

I am awaiting a reply from the UK Supplier as to availability. I am also going to a scrap yard tommorrow to see if any other Mitsi's with central locking have the same motor. I will let you know how I get on.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby daniel » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:21 pm

Thanks for the info Rory, going to strip it out at the wkend and see how i get on, also going to try hook up the folding mirrors to the central locking..would be well nifty!
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby steelroe » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:03 pm

I have already hooked mirrors up to the central locking and alarm. Works a treat, and allyou need is 2 relays some wire and a little patience.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:56 am

Exact motor not available in this part of the world (min order 10,000).

Went to scrap yard on Saturday and took locking mechanisms off a '94 Galant GLSi, mechanism and motor are exactly the same as the FTO. I got driver and passenger side for €30. Fitted the motor to the FTO mechanism and the central looking now works perfectly. Very simple to fit.

I would bet that the same motor and lock is used on all Mitsi's around that time.

I hope this info helps.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby daniel » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:46 am

Finally got around to doing some work on the car on sat, got the mirrors hooked up to the central locking pretty neat!

Took a look at the drivers central locking motor, looks tough enough to get out, have one on order from a scrap yard..so will try get it in next sat.
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby steelroe » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:13 am

Daniel
Very simple to get out.
Would you know any where in Galway where I might fing a crashed FTo as I need parts for crash repair.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby daniel » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:49 am

Rory

Not sure off the top of my head, but i have a few friends in the crash repair business, ill contact them, as far as i can remember from one of your post, you need some driver side parts and some rear parts ya?
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby steelroe » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:25 pm

Daniel

Need passanger side front. Have just bought a GP with slight front damage for €1500 will get the rear parts from this. May repair this one also as the dmage is very slight. No chassis damage only panels and lights.

Any help is appreciated.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby daniel » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:08 am

Rory, tried one source, no luck, still have to talk to another guy. will get back to you as soon as i can
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

central locking

Postby zinedan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:03 am

couldnt be assed to get the parts at Maplin so i asked a guy around to fix the two central locking door.Cost 160 euros -managed to haggle it down to 150.If you have the time and patience and a little experience in mechanics then i would advice you to get the parts a t maplin and do it your self.From what i saw it was an easy enought job,clip the wires...drill some holes and "presto"
zinedan
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby steelroe » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:40 am

Damn that was expensive. I got 2 motors from a scrap yard off a Galant for €30 and fitted myself in about 2 hours.

The motors on all Mitsi's with central locking are the same as the FTO.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby daniel » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:57 am

Rory, when you fitted that central locking motor off of the galant did you have to modify the two bars extending out from the locking mechanism to make them fit the FTO?
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby steelroe » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:28 pm

Daniel

I only fitted the motor not the locking mechanism, I took the mechanism from a Galant stripped the motor out and put it into the FTO Mechanism.

This way there is no modification of the mechanism required.

I think I will take the mechanism out of the scrapped FTO and take some pictures of what I did.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical