Decided to give spraying my Spoiler a go

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Decided to give spraying my Spoiler a go

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon May 07, 2012 3:43 pm

When I bought my FTO from Gerry he was good enough to include an original spoiler from a grey FTO, my car is White and had a huge Veilside one attached to the back so I wanted to change that as soon as possible. I decided since I had a spray can of the correct colour paint(also given by Gerry) I might as well give spraying the spoiler a go, if I messed up I could just get it done professionally. So I followed the formula of Sand, primer, sand again, primer, sand, spray light coat, wait until dry then spray another coat. Now all this work paid off and it was looking great, it was also late in the evening so none of the problems I heard about with Sunshine or insects.....if only that where true the next day. I headed up to Halfords and got them to mix me up a new can of paint(€22) and got some clear lacquer.

The new paint did not hold as nicely as the old can(a little dripping) and the F***ing insects where a pain. The kept landing on the paint work and what looked like a great job suddenly started to look rough. Any way, Not too bad for a first attempt and at least I have some experience now. Here are some pictures.

images are in sequence.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Decided to give spraying my Spoiler a go

Postby goz_83 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:18 pm

lol. you could have borrowed a garage if you asked me. Nothing more of a pain than wind, dust and insects when trying to get a smooth finish. Hope it looks well in the flesh. My paint job will have to wait another couple of weeks, because the guy who is doing it, is in his home country.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Decided to give spraying my Spoiler a go

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon May 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks man:) like I said it was just an experiment to see if I could do it. Will fit it tomorrow before work to see how it looks in context.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Return to General FTO Discussion