Where can I try to get a quote?

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Where can I try to get a quote?

Postby karlf » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:48 am

The only place that have quoted me so far is quinn direct. Its gone up over a €100 on last years premium. As you can imagine I'm not at all happy with that. I thought with having a year more NCB (6 in all) and being a year older it would at least come down slightly.
Every where I try on-line says we can not quote you with the details you've provided.
I'm 27, full licience for 6 years, full NCB, driving a 96D 1.8 gs auto. If you have the same details as me where are you insured and how much are you paying? Did it go up on last year?
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby ikeane » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:29 am

My quote went up with Quinn this year as well. They told me there was a general increase this year on premiums.
ikeane
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:02 am

Premiums are going up across the board folks, it's not just Quinn that are doing this, all of the big insurers are looking to increase premiums by 10-20% over the next two years.... :(
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby power » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:00 pm

im with quinn and mine went down a whole lot this year! only got my renewal! 22yr old, full license, 4yr ncb, 2litre gx, fully comp, protected bonus and windshield cover. went from €3000 last year to just under €2000. I know thats still a hefty sum, seems i was only payin €800 2 years ago on a 316i
power
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby karlf » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 pm

I got it for €560 TPFT off quinn. Up €20 on last year. Just a tip for anyone with quinn as this is 2 years running its happened. When they send you a renewal quote it is prob dearer than going on-line and getting a new one. For the last 2 years my renewal quote went up, when I asked why it was due to an increase in costs or so I was told. I went on-line did a quote up and it was cheaper than my renewal quote. When I questioned this I was told that was because all quotes on-line are classed as new business and are subject to a 15% discount. I asked why when I was originally an on-line customer that my renewal didn't also include the 15% I didn't get an answer. I am still waiting on a call from a supervisor since last year.
Hope this helps.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby optical illusion » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:19 am

I'm dreading my renewal. I'd actually be willing to pay a bit more to go elsewhere, but will anyone take me is the question?!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby karlf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

I know its disgraceful. I only got 2 quotes (both with quinn one on-line and one through a broker)and I must have tried 10 places. Only quinn will insure an FTO well for me anyway. Everyone else says we dont cover them. I wouldn't mind but its only a 1.8 gs auto. Its classed in the same group some ferraris according to one operator I was talking to. I ask ye WHY??? Whats so special about it???? (I mean no disrespect to the FTO itself but I cant understand the logic behind how the classify a car) Its cheaper for me to be insured in a 2.0 twin cam MR2 which is much more powerful (than my 1.8gs)
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Bernard » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:33 am

Have you tried Britton? I found them very good.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karlf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:39 am

yeah they were the only ones to get me a quote. It was just over a grand TPFT and 1200 fully comp. Nearly twice what I paid in the end
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:04 am

hey everyone. I was listening to a discussion about this on the radio and the regulator was saying there was absolutely 100% NO REASON for the insurance companies to hike premiums. They have made record profits year on year, and if they increase their prices on the back of this recession its purely just cashing in on the situation and not because they have made any losses in profit. Sick eh.. Rip of Ireland in force. I would urge everyone to make the effort to change insurance firms even of they only stick you with a 20euro increase... I had a letter from AA I got 5 months back that said "we realise you applied online for insurance recently and we were unable to hlep you, please do call us at your next renewal and we guarantee to beat your present quote"... I will be ringing them and switching from Quinn in march 09 even if they only put it up 20euro. It's the only way to let them know they cannot "cash in" like this. robbing cowboys. as if people are not pressed enough with petrol hikes and motor tax. give them the 2 fingered salute and change if they increase your policy. There is ZERO justification for it unless you have claimed. They are making record profits.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 am

further to my last post.. I think this is relevant. from todays indo..

By Charlie Weston Personal Finance Editor

Thursday October 23 2008

Charlie Weston Personal Finance Editor

MOTOR insurers are attempting to increase premiums by 10pc next year in a bid to ramp up their profit margins.

The move is despite a rise in profitability for insurers last year which saw them make a combined profit of €551m.

Intense competition in the motor insurance market has meant that premiums have been falling for the past five years, but insurers are now desperate to reverse this trend, according to consultancy firm Deloitte.

Some 40pc of insurers expect premiums to rise by up to 10pc next year, with another 40pc attempting to hike premiums by up to 5pc.

However, efforts last year by insurers to raise their rates were stymied when fierce competition in the sector kept prices low.

Those who compiled the survey said that any renewed bids by insurers to increase premiums could be undermined by savvy consumers who have now learned to shop around for the best quotation. Cavan-based Quinn Direct has been driving competition in the motors market, forcing the main players to cut premiums.

There are eight major insurers in the Irish market, but most of the business is written by Quinn, Axa, Hibernian and FBD.

Deloitte's mickey Tulloch said insurers made profits of €551m last year when investment gains are included.

Intense

But intense competition may work against insurers when they attempt to push up premiums again next year.

The fall in the number of road deaths and injuries, in addition to the impact of lower spending due to the recession will also make it hard for insurers to increase premiums.

Mr Tulloch warned insurers that consumers will ditch expensive companies in favour of those willing to offer more competitive premiums.

"On one hand, as competition in the market remains intense, companies are coming under pressure to reduce costs.

"On the other, reduced margins in current premiums are creating pressure to increase premium rates.

"What's clear is that motor insurance companies will need to be extremely careful when deciding upon their pricing strategy as a loss of market share is the very probable result of getting it wrong."

Chairman of the Consumers' Association James Doorley said there was no justification for an increase in motor insurance next year.

"If anything they should be coming down," he said.

"The independent analysis shows that claims costs are coming down and profits are going up."

Mr Doorley said that the head of the Injuries Board, Patricia Byron, stressed in September that there was no justification for price increases in light of the huge savings made by the sharp drop in claims costs in the last number of years.

"Household incomes are under huge pressure, so we would strongly advise consumers to compare prices and switch to get better deals when their renewal notice comes," Mr Doorley said.

- Charlie Weston Personal Finance Editor
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to Motor Insurance