Buying Abroad, THE FACTS! Irish ripoff!!

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Buying Abroad, THE FACTS! Irish ripoff!!

Postby adrian » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:32 pm

Hi all,

I just phones the Revenue Commissioners to get the price of getting a 1999 GPX into the country. It's as follows:

I buy it for, roughly, €7000 at an auction in Japan through www.IDirect.co.jp. Thats incl shipping to Ireland.

Added to this is:

Customer Duty = 10% of (Invoice price + freight + freight insurance) = €700
VAT = (21% of the Invoice Price) = €1365
VRT = €5265

So the total Price on the road here will be:

FTO 1999 GPX €7000
Customs €700
VAT €1365
VRT €5265
--------------------------------------
Total €14,330

Half to the Government!!!

But, I am still thinking, for a 1999 GPX manual thats not bad. Also, the VRT etc is no different for a GPvR, as they didn't distinguise between these on the computer. What do you think??

Of course, I might not be lucky at the auction in Japan and might have to pay about €8,000 for the FTO and then the other %'s would differ accordingly.
I also looked at taking in a 2001 Honda S2000 ------ VRT alone.......... €10,025!!!
Adrian
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:17 pm

Yep, robbing B@$tards alright.
If you can get your hands on a GPvR Aero series go for it, ther'ye rare as hell and I doubt theres another one in the country.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

x

Postby mark » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:06 pm

14 k sounds ok considering I looked at a 96 white gpx manual with steel wheels down the docks for 15k! And it came in from an auction in J.
If you do get one in Japan it could have crappy steel wheels on it-don't know why but you might want to check as I paid 130euro for wheel nuts after finding a set of fto alloys. Scary but they are good wheels,really light!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby adrian » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:15 pm

2 things: Where abouts down the docks did you buy it??? High Grade Imports? Let me know

With IDirect.co.jp you can see photos of the cars on auction so you can gauge what sort of wheels will be on it etc etc.

What do you think of the WHITE FTO's People??? Most I see on the auction sites are white..... I'm not sure?!

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Eamon » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:44 am

White wouldn't be my cup of tea. No offence intended to anyone with a white car, but it must be terribly difficult to keep a white car looking its best here in Ireland.
Eamon
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:01 pm

adrian wrote:What do you think of the WHITE FTO's People??? Most I see on the auction sites are white..... I'm not sure?!

Personally I like scotia white FTOs. Lets be honest, we're into our cars so chances are, we wash them once a week or so. Winters here and its getting dirty out there, all cars are gonna suffer to a lesser or greater degree.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:55 pm

CJ wrote:Lets be honest, we're into our cars so chances are, we wash them once a week or so.
Ciaran

I should hang my head in shame, I haven't washed my car for over 4 weeks now :oops:

But on the subject of colour, white is quite nice but it has to be either black or red for me!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:22 pm

I have a white one. It was lined up against a black and a silver one before I bought it. It actually appeared more stunning than the others. Although the black came close, it was a facelift, '97 model. Mine has a similar front bumper which adds to the look and adds something a bit different. Black was a bit too expensive for me too.

But the white was a manual so made the decision easier. Also there were more enquiries on the white then the other 2 when they were on sale, just I was first to see it and took first option on it.

Really depends on the car itself.

As for cleaning it, strangely enough, it doesn't show the dirt as easily as other colours, rain does help clean it. But no matter what colour you have in this country, its going to be dirty....
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:57 pm

Ivan E wrote:I have a white one

Come on Ivan, wheres the pics for the Gallary page? ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:10 pm

Where did you see the 3 FTOs lined up side by side in a garage?? Was it an importer Ivan?
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Ivan E » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:42 pm

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera & I haven't got around to taking a pic when there has been one about (rearly, normally in pubs so fto is not about).

The 3 were lined up at Jim Rocks. He was in partnership with A&F Imports I think (not sure if he still is). Art from A&F had a grey GS bought at auction and then Jim had the white GR and a black '97 facelift GR/GX.

The GS seemed to be there for a while but the other 2 sold quick enough (as if I didn't take it there were others interested in it). The '97 facelift was very nice and in good condition with only 27k miles on the clock but at 11,995 it was a bit too much for me to get into.

Haven't seen him get in any since though. He seems to buy directly from owners in here whereas Art seemed to buy at auction. However not much on Art's site anymore so don't know what the story is with him anymore.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to General FTO Discussion